Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Why Crusiers Won't change RF headsails

Me included, yet I know it's really not that difficult or hard to change. But really! We almost never have good wind around here (my excuse)

Example; (not anyone WE know) ;
"Eh, trashed my 150 last week, shoulda used the storm sail when I knew that squall was headed my way"

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
I am new at this rolling stuff BUT with a profurl R25 with foam luff 150 which rolls down to a really small size and still moves the boat fine and a hood furling stoboom which so far rolls down to match and balance the boat in a steady 20 knots with much higher gusts

I don't change the sail because it involves TWO stupid small shackles that have 100% of getting lost
deniseO30 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-31-2011

sck5 is on a distinguished road
Why is RF so popular in the first place? So you dont have to keep changing headsails all the time. If I wanted to be raising and lowering headsails every time the wind changed or a squall went by I would get hank on sails.
Old 07-31-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Did a sail change today sailing with a friend on her boat. What's the big deal? dumped the 135 for a drifter.
deniseO30 and chef2sail like this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 07-31-2011

zibadun is on a distinguished road
the cruisers won't change the hank on sails either, me included . In the last year I sailed either over or under canvassed 90% the time. changing sails just doesn't seem like a fun thing to do, except if you are racing - then your skipper will make you
deniseO30 and Minnewaska like this.
Old 07-31-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
sck5, this was supposed to be a somewhat humorous thread!

my current "project"!
Old 07-31-2011

HPLou is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HPLou
You get up in age and there is plenty of wind. Enough time changing one's shorts doesn't leave much time to change the sail too!
whitecloud and deniseO30 like this.
Old 07-31-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
The whole purpose for the furler is to be able to adjust for conditions as well as ease of sailing.

We have two headsails and a two slotted Harken furler. In the summer months we use a 155 on the furler (reefs down to about 120 with no loss of sail shape or perforance) and in the spring with the "heavier cold air" and usually better winds we use the 135 ( reefs down to 110 with no loss of performance or shape)on the furler. It is easy to change sails.. but no necessary most of the time excpet for seaosn change or when we go offshore.

I like having the furling sail especially for days like last Saturday when I took Haleakula out by myself. It was not necessary for me to go foreward at all and I could handle the sail from the cockpit just like the mail. When it puiped up to 18 knotss I just furled a little in to keep her on her feet conservatively balanced.

Dave
SVAuspicious and deniseO30 like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-31-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
"Why Crusiers Won't change RF headsails", wouldn't that require someone (me) to go out to the pointy end of the boat when the wind and waves get to that "scary" stage? Unh-uh, not going to happen, that's why I've got that line thingy that makes the sail way up front there disappear. I've read about crazy people that go up there and change a sail, but I've never actually seen someone do it yet.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 08-01-2011
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Most of us cruisers use the BRA method of sailing... hoist 'em up and keep 'em from flopping!

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry