Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdad View Post
The nice big opening in the transom is handy for losing things like winch handles and cameras.

This I do not like about mine. But even when the swim ladder is up, I can reach it from the water which would be nice if I were to ever fall overboard lol!

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
This I do not like about mine. But even when the swim ladder is up, I can reach it from the water which would be nice if I were to ever fall overboard lol!
There is a story that gets repeated on my boat routinely. With my wife off snorkeling with the dinghy, I decided to dive off the boat we chartered and swim over to some friends at the next mooring. I never put the ladder down, so no way I was getting home till she got back. She found me drinking beer on their boat hours later.

So, you don't have to fall overboard to get in trouble. With the sugar scoop on my boat, never an issue.

As additional thinking, not all boats with sugar scoops are fully open to the cockpit. I've seen them where the cockpit is still enclosed by a knee highh door. On mine, there is a cutout between the two helm seats, but it is still 6 or 8 inches above the cockpit floor, so nothing can slide through.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-01-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
It was fun in the Galapagos to see what scoop-owners tried to do to keep sea lions from climbing aboard - every kind of barrier you could imagine. Almost no one could keep the noisy but interesting beasts off the bottom step or two since there was no where to attach fenders and whatnot. We even had a sea lion try to jump onboard our boat without a scoop and with about 4' of freeboard. Made a hell of a noise.
Old 08-01-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There is a story that gets repeated on my boat routinely. With my wife off snorkeling with the dinghy, I decided to dive off the boat we chartered and swim over to some friends at the next mooring. I never put the ladder down, so no way I was getting home till she got back. She found me drinking beer on their boat hours later.

So, you don't have to fall overboard to get in trouble. With the sugar scoop on my boat, never an issue.

As additional thinking, not all boats with sugar scoops are fully open to the cockpit. I've seen them where the cockpit is still enclosed by a knee highh door. On mine, there is a cutout between the two helm seats, but it is still 6 or 8 inches above the cockpit floor, so nothing can slide through.
We have a littledoor as well, and a life-line that is removable via a pelican hook. The door gives me peace-of-mind when the kids and parents are all sleeping, in case anyone takes a walk.

We leave the swim ladder down when at anchor, becasue we are frequently going for a swim. I rigged a line attached to a snapshackle that lowers the ladder, in case the ladder is up and you're in the water. The ladder may come down on our head, but it will be there when you need it.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss buckets. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 08-01-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
OP defines his needs and environment he sails.

Regardless what we need and want, OP needs a swim platform for his 6 year old daughter. This dictates at least 10 years or more for a swim platform.

i would say Go for it. His daughter safety and pleasure outweigh the bads.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 08-08-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
I got to thinking about the theory behind some of those old sailing hull designs. The length at the waterline was short to minimize wetted surface, and therefore friction, in light air. Heavier air would heel the boat over and increase the water line, thereby raising the hull speed when power is available to drive the boat faster. Doesn't it stand to reason that a boat with a sugar scoop stern will be slower than a boat with a traditional stern in light winds, all other things being equal? Then again, all other things are rarely equal. Modern hull design, with its greater form stability, will tolerate the greater heeling moment of more sail area, which increases driving force. The force of greater sail area will probably overcome the extra friction of the sugar scoop.

What I can't imagine the modern sugarscoop hulls doing, however, is producing a ride as comfortable as that of the traditional hull with overhangs when beating into the wind and seas.
Pasadena, MD
Old 08-08-2011

mbetter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
It was fun in the Galapagos to see what scoop-owners tried to do to keep sea lions from climbing aboard - every kind of barrier you could imagine. Almost no one could keep the noisy but interesting beasts off the bottom step or two since there was no where to attach fenders and whatnot. We even had a sea lion try to jump onboard our boat without a scoop and with about 4' of freeboard. Made a hell of a noise.
Man, you guys really need to watch out for orcas.
Old 08-09-2011

eSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
OP defines his needs and environment he sails.

Regardless what we need and want, OP needs a swim platform for his 6 year old daughter. This dictates at least 10 years or more for a swim platform.

i would say Go for it. His daughter safety and pleasure outweigh the bads.
yeap, at this point comfort/fun is more important than keeping sea lions off the boat
Old 08-10-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Matt, i'm wondering what a swim platform would buy you, that a good kickboard or boogy board wouldn't. Either of those would give her a way to get out of the water, and then slip off to a good boarding ladder. I don't see any magic in a stern platform, other than guaranteeing you'll pay for an extra two or three feet of AOL wheneer you dock the boat.

In terms of safety...if she's out of the water she's out of the water either way, and at six or even eight, she shouldn't be swimming without some kind of supervision in any case. (Not being judgemental, but even kids cramp, and having someone watching them is not an all-bad-idea.)

I just don't see any real gain by changing the boat. The sales tax alone could buy her some incredible water toys, like a canoe and kayak and swim platform all her own.
Old 08-10-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
The reason most of us need to get a new boat is often well thought through, but not often full admitted. Kids are excellent cover. Safety is another. The safety of the kids, now that gets the job done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.