Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011

eSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Matt, i'm wondering what a swim platform would buy you, that a good kickboard or boogy board wouldn't. Either of those would give her a way to get out of the water, and then slip off to a good boarding ladder. I don't see any magic in a stern platform, other than guaranteeing you'll pay for an extra two or three feet of AOL wheneer you dock the boat.

In terms of safety...if she's out of the water she's out of the water either way, and at six or even eight, she shouldn't be swimming without some kind of supervision in any case. (Not being judgemental, but even kids cramp, and having someone watching them is not an all-bad-idea.)

I just don't see any real gain by changing the boat. The sales tax alone could buy her some incredible water toys, like a canoe and kayak and swim platform all her own.
good points, however I am currently boatless so no tax issue.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2011

tweitz is on a distinguished road
One of the recurring themes in every discussion of man overboard scenarios is how hard it is to get someone back on board if you recover him, especially someone who is exhausted. Three feet of freeboard, even with a ladder, is a very tough climb. I really like the sugarscoop for that and for the fact that water on board quickly exits, and we don't have to worry about inadequate or clogged scuppers.
Old 08-10-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

Make you understand the difference between a 'sugar scoop' swim platform, and a 'walk through transom' because the two are different. As best as I can tell, the built in Swim platform started in the bid 80's on boats like the O'day 31 / 35 / 40, Newport 33, and maybe a few others. By the late 80s' early 90's most boats had swim platforms, and by the mid to late 90's most boats had open or walk through transoms.

Since I'm most familiar with the O'day 35 I can tell you that there is NO downside to the swim platform. In 1986 O'day added an swim platform to the 30 (turning it into a 31), 34 (to the 35) and 39. The swim platform makes boarding the boat from a dingy and water much easier. From the platform you still need to step up and over the transom to get into the cockpit, but since the platform is close to the water it's an (relatively) easy step from a dingy.

The walk through transom will make it easier to get into the cockpit, and I would like my next boat to have one, but that's not an absolute requirement. A swim platform is a definite requirement.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-11-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweitz View Post
One of the recurring themes in every discussion of man overboard scenarios is how hard it is to get someone back on board if you recover him, especially someone who is exhausted. Three feet of freeboard, even with a ladder, is a very tough climb. I really like the sugarscoop for that and for the fact that water on board quickly exits, and we don't have to worry about inadequate or clogged scuppers.
That’s an oft-cited argument, but I think it can cut both ways…

Many modern boats have extremely raked scoop sterns that feature a rather “sharp” trailing edge… This type of transom can present a considerable danger to a person in the water in heavy seas, a boat pitching can bring this overhang down upon a MOB with surprising violence and force, and many times it will be far safer to try to recover a person alongside, where the vertical side of the hull presents little danger to a swimmer…

If you’ve ever had to dive upon a prop or rudder, for example, in open water, you’ll learn to fear being under the broad, flat expanse typical of the aft sections of many modern hulls, they can present a serious danger in rougher seas… Likewise in boarding from a dinghy, once the wave action gets to a certain point, it can become far riskier to attempt to board from astern onto a scoop transom, than it will from amidships…

Most dangerous of all, can be the sort of fold-out transom garage doors that we see the pretty models perched upon in the Sunsail and Moorings ads… For flat water anchorages only, they’re useless in any sort of seaway, or rougher conditions…

Of no concern to the original poster’s use for his boat in the Chesapeake, of course – but IMHO one of the biggest drawbacks to a scoop transom is the issue of security, for anyone cruising in regions where that might be an issue… They’re an open invitation for swimmers from shore to board your boat… I was feeling a bit smug, for example, when I spent a few days in Burglary Bay in the Honduran Bay Islands, surrounded by much larger, fancier boats, all sporting their low-slung, "Welcome Aboard" transoms... (grin)