SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailing Debacle & Outboard Suggestions (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/77048-sailing-debacle-outboard-suggestions.html)

5hortBu5 08-01-2011 10:37 AM

Sailing Debacle & Outboard Suggestions

Hey Folks,

On Saturday, I had what I consider my first lousy day of sailing. The short version is I got stuck downriver of a railroad bridge, beating into a light and variable headwind against a current. On my lovely Fiance's suggestion, I gave up after an hour or two, and decided to head downriver for a bit of non-frustrating sailing, and to give the tide some time to slack off.

But I Ran into the same problem a couple hours later. Sure the current was lighter, but so was the wind. Eventually, it died off completely and the sun was going down. I would paddle like a mofo, to make *inches* of headway, then I'd poop out and lose any ground I'd made. I eventually got a tow from a tender boat from the Hess tank farm. I was tired, achy, and embarrassed.

So, this encounter has totally convinced me that I need some sort of mechanical motivation, either in the form of an electric motor or a gas-powered outboard. Oh, and maybe some nav lights, too.

My boat is a 14' O'Day Javelin, and weighs about what, 750 pounds with gear and people aboard? Can anyone provide suggestions on power?

Thanks!

deniseO30 08-01-2011 10:39 AM

3 hp should be more then adequate

nolatom 08-01-2011 10:41 AM

That's a lightweight boat, and a conventional outboard may trim you far down by the stern. Maybe an electric trolling motor?

Running lights--bring a battery-type red/green, and you can McGuyver a flashlight into a stern light with plastic wrap shaped as a mini-dome, taped on to the bezel, you can tape it on top of the tillerhead. Or two of 'em if you want a 'steaming' light too. Always bring duct tape or the clear tape that's similar, and you can tape down your lights.

deniseO30 08-01-2011 10:44 AM

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C7id5v0aMi4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sublime 08-01-2011 10:47 AM

For comparison, I've got a 5 hp honda on my dinghy sailor. It's a 19 foot boat but weighs about 750 lbs, ~1200lbs fully loaded.

rockDAWG 08-01-2011 10:47 AM

Hahaha.... been there, done that and got a T-shirt to prove it. :laugher.

Stop whining, a bad sailing day is still ahead of a good day in the office. :p

Oh yeah, pick up a small outboard helps, just don't turtle the boat. Getting water out of the engine sucks - at least half day of work. Ask me why I know so well.

Sublime 08-01-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockDAWG (Post 757171)
Hahaha.... been there, done that and got a T-shirt to prove it. :laugher.

Stop whining, a bad sailing day is still ahead of a good day in the office. :p

Oh yeah, pick up a small outboard helps, just don't turtle the boat. Getting water out of the engine sucks - at least half day of work. Ask me why I know so well.

:laugher
I have the same teeshirt! I got mine in blue to bring out my eyes.
Motors don't always start. :D

deniseO30 08-01-2011 11:07 AM

Is the river tidal? If so, use the flow to your advantage!

deniseO30 08-01-2011 11:13 AM

RD? how was the return trip from Cape May?

5hortBu5 08-01-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 757181)
Is the river tidal? If so, use the flow to your advantage!

Yeah, Denise! I'm actually on the Delaware, too. The bridge in question is the DelAir railroad bridge, just south of the Betsy Ross.

As for the flow: The tide slacked off a *lot* in the couple hours that we took to go down river, but my problem is, the wind did too. Once the sun went down, there was NO wind, and I was screwed. I really didn't have time to wait for the tide to head back up.