Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree532Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road
Bubblehead, as much as it would be a pleasure to visit your area, right now we are looking for jobs, etc.

We had already said by by to the USA, sold our car, quit our jobs. (computer consultants)

So now we are rebuilding here, with help from friends.

Last summer we sailed through your waters, but really enjoyed Chincoteague Island (SP?) the most!
Old 09-15-2011
Captain S/V Triumph

I have to sign off... for now.

Thank you all for your support and good wishes.

I know you might not all agree with my unsolicited advice, but at least you now have another factor to weigh into how you make yours. I hope you never have to decide as we did.

Any help toward a $250K Amel in the 1990s sure would be lovely.
DougSabbag@aol.com 617-817-6856
Old 09-15-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Great write-up, Doug...

My hat is definitely off to you, for having the stomach to wander into this Den of Second-Guessing to share your story in such an un-varnished fashion... (grin)

I was wondering if you thought the holes in the deck might have admitted the water in the bilge, but you've addressed that... Just curious, was the chainplate failure one of the material itself, or did it simply tear free from the bulkhead? Certainly a cautionary reminder of the importance of the integrity of such a critical component for a boat headed offshore, especially boats of that vintage... And, a reminder that one cannot possibly check the bilges too often when sailing offshore, early detection of what might be a modest ingress of water will avoid the "surprise" of discovering a flooded bilge... I'm a big believer in having a grate over your sump, or portion of the bilge where water is likely to pool first, so that inspection can be performed at a glance...

Glad to hear you've recovered something from the insurers, I was somehow under the impression you may have lost everything, that the boat wasn't insured for such a trip...

Best of luck to you and Evelyn, you certainly couldn't go wrong with an Amel, they're great boats...
Old 09-15-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Another thought, maybe relevant, maybe not.

We were at a raftup last weekend, and one person commented that our marriage was very egalitarian. While that is true on a philosophical level, it is also true on a sailing level. We both learned to sail at the same time, in the same way. Most of our classes have been together, or at least following the same manual. We have similar levels of expertise, although Dan has more at-sea hours due to the time he spent coaching in Navy sail program. That means that we can apply our decision rule to let the more conservative approach dominate knowing that our processes aren't going to be seriously out of whack with each other. I don't think that rule would work if there were a very large imbalance between our skill levels - in that case, it would be harder to distinguish between "fear" and "prudence."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 09-15-2011

NaviGsr is on a distinguished road
Doug,

Thank you for sharing your story. So glad to hear that you are safe.

Old 09-15-2011
Captain S/V Triumph

wingNwing... I have been "sailing" since I was 4 years old. Evelyn has been sailing for about 6.5 years now; i.e, as long as we've been together.

So, there is a huge difference.

Though she does learn very quickly... :-)
Old 09-15-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
I know, don't be so maudlin or depressing... but, Hell, part of still being alive is you get to complain. :-)
Hell yeah!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-15-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
I'm still trying to imagine vomiting underwater! Jeez, that's got to be an experience in itself!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 09-15-2011

turbulicity is on a distinguished road
Hi Doug,

A fellow Gulfstar 50 owner here. I am so glad you made it safe and sound. Those were very difficult decisions to be made and in the end, you made the right one since you are both alive and not at a complete financial loss. Who knows what would have happened if you opted to stick with the boat, maybe better maybe worse. No point second guessing now.

That aside, I am always of the opinion to stick with the boat until it is evident that it will sink.

I was wondering how the shrouds failed. Did the chainplate itself broke or was it the fiberglass bracket that the chainplate is bolted to?
Old 09-15-2011

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
Sadly, so many errors were made that day it is embarrassing to answer some of these questions.
I'm really glad you are. Hindsight is always 20/20. Decisions are much more difficult under stress and probably even more so when you're responsible for a loved ones stress.

I think the most important thing is everyone makes mistakes. It's really nice to read "incident reports" like these because it gives you an insight into the types of mistakes you yourself can make if put into the same situation. Pre-preparing for these types of incidents can help you make the right decisions later on.

That said, there were many correct decisions you made too. If you hadn't, you or your wife wouldn't be here today and you wouldn't be in a financially recoverable position.
wingNwing and smackdaddy like this.
Closed Thread