Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree532Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I just want to say that I think it sucks that Doug was banned. That didn't need to happen.......
True, but fully justified. He made physical threats, wished several would drown and posted absolute rants full of expletives disguised by characters to get them through the filter. Several of these rants were fully deleted, others were just modified. You may not know what you missed.

He was given sympathy and the benefit of doubt by most and he still reeled back. It had to end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-01-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Wow, that's the first ban i've seen in almost a year... Birdpepper and holymarie certainly deserved it, I guess Doug did as well - after all there are rules...

Shame though...

I'll make a toast to him with one last Granite Counter top!

smackdaddy likes this.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus

Last edited by LandLocked66c; 12-01-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-01-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Okay - so I think I was partially wrong here (hey, that's at least something, right?).

It's true that I did miss what had been written by Doug and deleted by Jeff. And I have no doubt that Jeff was fair in removing it, and fair in banning Doug for it because I have no doubt that Jeff had given Doug warning. Jeff's a pretty damn good moderator from what I've seen (as are all the other current mods).

The reason I say that it sucks and that it didn't need to happen is this...put yourself in Doug's shoes. He came on here and spilled his guts...outlining his mistakes and failures...which I think was very gutsy and very valuable from a learning perspective. At first, it went very well, then several things happened (which are seemingly inevitable on any forum):

1. People started relentlessly picking at his mistakes and failures...not commiserating with his mistakes and failures (i.e. - we all make them)...but picking at them as if "he should have known that the chainplate would break", etc.
2. Doug got increasingly defensive (which is perfectly understandable).
3. Doug expressed a very dogmatic viewpoint of what happened and what should have happened during the rescue.
4. Most everyone, especially me I guess, disagreed with that viewpoint and argued hard against it.
5. Doug got even more defensive (which is perfectly understandable).
6. Doug started going super nova, probably because of 1 and 4.
7. We're all still here - he ain't.

We've seen this stuff play out many times.

Again, I say it didn't need to happen for 2 reasons. First, granted, Doug had no business physically threatening people. That's ridiculous. He should have been able to see the bigger picture. That's on him. But second, and more importantly in my opinion, in cases like Doug's we members should make each other give the dude some air - and stop being so damn tender ourselves. Of course he's going to blow if he feels the entire world is against him. We should call each other out more if we're needlessly hammering on the guy...instead of complaining to the freakin' mods when he starts swinging back.

Sure, Doug broke the rules, but we shouldn't feel good about that if we all pushed him to the edge so he'd jump.

I wrote some pretty harsh responses to Doug in this thread because I was pissed he was hammering the KJ people so much - what I saw as completely errant hammering. If members here think that I was too harsh with that, I should be called out on it...in the thread - not a pm. Same with anyone else here. That creates some air for a dude like Doug because he sees he has a bit of backup.

Now, on the other hand, I understand you can't give a dude who's going supernova a complete pass. That's not what I'm saying. Doug stuck it out WAY longer than I thought he would, but he wasn't able to get past some of the pickers - and just lost it. He was pretty unreasonable in much of this.

But again, he lost his boat and almost freakin' died at sea. Back to the shoes.

I'm writing all this crap because I am VERY interested in what people that were caught in the sh&t have to say about it. I learn a lot from that. We all do.

I don't care so much what exactly got them there - because, just as Doug said, no one is good enough to never get caught with their pants down. (grin) Look at Puma.

As LL points out above, it's not NEARLY as bad around here as it used to be in this regard. i just hope it's always a place where new-member sailors can come and freely talk about their successes and failures so we can all learn something.

Now, raise your glasses to one of the most epic and most viewed threads ever on SN.

Huzzah!

[Turn off teleprompter and cue "Hail To The Chief"]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-01-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-01-2011

Quote:
Okay - so I think I was partially wrong here (hey, that's at least something, right?).
You're just trying to rationalize the BFS koozzies....

Old 12-01-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
You're just trying to rationalize the BFS koozzies....
They're "boozies" you bonehead.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-01-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by gershel View Post
Jon, I like your "chutzpah". Check that, I love it.
Marc

P.S. CHUTZPAH.... Look it up!
Jon lives in NJ. I'm pretty sure he knows what chutzpah is. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 12-01-2011

Quote:
They're "boozies" you bonehead.
In the mid-west they are koozies! Frickin Texans, I swear...
smackdaddy likes this.

Closed Thread