Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree532Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
Wow, smacky, you sure do have a way of finding things. I've been googling for an article like that every couple hours all day. That's them all right. I haven't heard anything about the weather except what was stated in the article smacky just linked (why is it so hard to find historical weather online?). 30kts and 8' seas doesn't sound too bad.
Old 08-01-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Some one was asking about crewing on a boat crossing at that time and I think it was a Gulfstar. Same boat?
I would if this one is relative to this thread:

Real Life Weather Scenario

With tropical storm Bret moving north in the Atlantic, I have two questions for you guys to kick around.

1.) My friends are in the midst of an Atlantic crossing. Their last known position (8 hours ago) was 39°53'45.71"N, 64°25'4.80"W, with a heading of approximately 100. If they slow down... Bret will hit them (Tropical Storm Bret : 5 Day Forecast Map : Weather Underground). If they continue as they are... they should make it to the far side of the projection cone by Friday when Bret arrives, but that seems risky. Is the best solution to turn back? What would you do and why? They're in a Gulfstar 50 ketch.

Am I crazy if...

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 08-01-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2011

turbulicity is on a distinguished road
Glad that they are safe. As a fellow Gulfstar 50 owner, it is sad to see one lost. As anyone else, I am curious about the series of events that led to the engine loss, sail loss, taking in water. Sounds like a streak of bad luck.
Old 08-01-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
Wow, smacky, you sure do have a way of finding things. I've been googling for an article like that every couple hours all day. That's them all right. I haven't heard anything about the weather except what was stated in the article smacky just linked (why is it so hard to find historical weather online?). 30kts and 8' seas doesn't sound too bad.

No worries rm. It's just awesomeness.

So, from what I heard in the audio, an oil cooler malfunction filled the engine with seawater, then the starboard main stays (shrouds?) parted...leaving them drifting on a sea anchor.

I didn't hear anything about them actively taking on water (apart from the oil cooler thing which happened a couple of days prior to the call according to the audio).

Regardless, definitely a bad day as he says.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-01-2011

jcalvinmarks is on a distinguished road
The AMVER blog seems to indicate that the boat was still afloat and was cast adrift, so here's hoping we'll see a S/V Satori/Perfect Storm situation. Maybe it'll wash up on a beach in Newfoundland and they can get at least some of their possessions back, and maybe even refloat the boat.
Old 08-01-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Hurricane season?!

Might as well ask why they were sailing near giant narwhals during mating season.

We do know there were no hurricanes mid-Atlantic this month.
We don't know if they were sunk by giant narwhals.

Colluding with that whale that sank Ishmael in just one shot up in Alaska.
Old 08-01-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
rockDAWG, I think you're right that those posts are related. I believe they've even given me enough information to know who CambridgeKid is. I am nearly certain I've met him around the marina.
Old 08-01-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
rockDAWG, I think you're right that those posts are related. I believe they've even given me enough information to know who CambridgeKid is. I am nearly certain I've met him around the marina.
I bet he's glad he turned down the gig at this point.

Looks like he generally got some pretty good advice in those threads.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-01-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I bet he's glad he turned down the gig at this point.

Looks like he generally got some pretty good advice in those threads.
I believe CambridgeKid boarded another boat to Iceland. Damn, he is a lucky dog. I wish I had a chance like this. I don't even mind to beon the ill-fated Triumph as long as I get recused. Can you image, I can brag about it all over sailnet.

Ok I will embellish a bit for the dramatic effect

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 08-01-2011

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Sounds like the vessel wasn't that sound.
Closed Thread