Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree532Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalvinmarks View Post
The AMVER blog seems to indicate that the boat was still afloat and was cast adrift, so here's hoping we'll see a S/V Satori/Perfect Storm situation. Maybe it'll wash up on a beach in Newfoundland and they can get at least some of their possessions back, and maybe even refloat the boat.
Unfortunately, the odds of that would appear to be slim, to none...

Wild Cove is one of the TWO stretches of sandy beach to be found on the entire south coast of Newfoundland...

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
So, from what I heard in the audio, an oil cooler malfunction filled the engine with seawater, then the starboard main stays (shrouds?) parted...leaving them drifting on a sea anchor.

I didn't hear anything about them actively taking on water (apart from the oil cooler thing which happened a couple of days prior to the call according to the audio).

Regardless, definitely a bad day as he says.
Sounds like the classic case of a series of cascading failures... Never ceases to amaze, how many losses of cruising sailboats begin with an engine failure... (grin)

With such sketchy details available, we're all just guessing, of course... But abandoning a boat due to the loss of a shroud, but with the rig still in the boat, has got to be a tough one to swallow, surely there must be more to this story...
Old 08-01-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Sorry to interupt but nice spot John. Your boat ? If yes , how on earth did you get the pic ?

I'm not going to dump on the poor souls who have just lost their boat but something goes awry with the engine and it floods with saltwater, the headsail is destroyed and either a lower or a shroud has let go. Either very bad luck or poor management it would seem.

JE said what I was typing pretty much. So take the above as agreement. I didn't hear specifically the word 'shroud' only 'side stay' or so I thought.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 08-01-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-01-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Sailnet needs to have a full time reporter to investigate and report back to us.
zeehag likes this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 08-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Sorry to interupt but nice spot John. Your boat ? If yes , how on earth did you get the pic ?
The shot was just taken from some high ground that forms the opposite side of the cove. I landed my dinghy at a point just beyond the lower right corner of the pic, and hiked up from there…

Newfoundland is definitely one of those places you’ve really got to trust your ground tackle when leaving the boat to explore ashore… Not a lot of margin for error in most spots, it’s characteristic of the topography of fjords that very often your only option is to anchor closer than you’d like to a rather unforgiving shoreline…
Old 08-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Color me overly cautious but what are they doing in the middle of the Atlantic during hurricane season? Glad they are ok.
It would be interesting to know exactly where they were, but the CG's description of "780 miles NE of Cape Cod" is hardly the middle of the Atlantic...

In fact, such a position doesn't even place them at a longitude E of Cape Race...

If you were gonna have a rigging failure out there, you'd have to consider yourself lucky if it occurred on the starboard side, as reported...

With the prevailing southwesterlies this time of year, port tack takes you right back towards Newfoundland or Cape Breton, no?

Who knows, just sayin'... (grin)
Old 08-02-2011

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Sounds like the vessel wasn't that sound.
From googling around, it doesn't sound like the Gulfstar 50's were the sturdiest of construction. I don't know much about the 40ft plus boat scene, but in the sub 40's build quality talk is pretty much everything when it comes to blue water.

Do most people figure once you're past 40ft the hardware gets big enough build quality isn't as important?
Old 08-02-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
Gulfstars were very hit or miss in their design and build quality. In general, the ones from ~1975-1983 were very well designed and quite well built, but those before and after were shoddy. For instance, my surveyor said he would feel comfortable taking my boat to Bermuda, and my rigger says he would feel comfortable taking it around the world. I wouldn't consider it a blue-water cruiser though, and I doubt I'll ever take it further than Bermuda.

I don't know what vintage Triumph was, but it probably falls into the good range. That said, my research into the 50s in particular has turned up many references to wildly varying build quality boat to boat in that model, regardless of year.

I don't think once you cross a certain size threshold, any boat becomes safe for blue water. I think you'll find most people (on this board, at least) would agree that a Hunter of any size is unsuitable for crossing an ocean. You'll also find plenty of people who have made such crossings in Hunters and done just fine, so that doesn't mean the boat can't do it, it's just that it might not have as much margin for safety when things go wrong. I'm hardly an expert on this subject, and I have nothing against Hunters, I was just using that as a common example.
Old 08-02-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
I can't link to the article on the rescue here at work, but, did it say they were rescued from the water... and that the boat was still floating... am I missing something?
zeehag likes this.
Old 08-02-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I can't link to the article on the rescue here at work, but, did it say they were rescued from the water... and that the boat was still floating... am I missing something?
From the audio recording, it would appear that the Kim Jacob came to get them off their boat, and while climbing aboard, one of the Triumph crew fell into the water and wasn't retrieved for 3 hours. Triumph was still afloat when they left it (they marked it as a hazard to navigation).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.