Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Quote:
In the near future, I think I will look for a crew position with a professional delivery captain

Now thats one of the best things you have ever posted on SN knowing your goals. Who better to learn from also.

No EPIB...no life raft....no communication device....NO WAY

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Now thats one of the best things you have ever posted on SN knowing your goals. Who better to learn from also.

Dave
Sometimes you have to date the ugly fat chick before you can date the princess.

Like the old saying: Take the cow now and find your horse.

Who better to learn from also.
Not necessary. Crewing with bad captain is just beneficial as with a good captain. You learn from his mistake and what not to do. In fact after crewing for a few times, I created a trip report presentation to all my direct reports reflected on the Leadership. I use the example of being the owner of the boat v. the captain of the boat. Actually I learn a lot about myself and my short comings. I spent two hours with my children and wife show them what to do and not to do.

These are valuable lessons which has taught me how to be a better leader. Damn, i have to wait so long to learn them. But my children are learning with me. They are far ahead of me for their age.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 08-01-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Overall, I agree. I would not go without these safety devices. It got me thinking of the Captain that I hired to go get my boat when I bought her. While I have them all now, they were not aboard for that delivery. It was coastal for nearly 900nm, which is a big difference, but my delivery skipper is definitely a pro and made his own choice that this was acceptable. I don't believe he would have made the same choice for an offshore passage. But still, he did the delivery to RI in May and the water, even 5 miles offshore, is bloody cold that time of year.

In hindsight, I think that was a mistake. But I still consider him a good Captain. He just assessed the risks of a fairly new boat, coastal weather windows, easy comm, etc as acceptable.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-02-2011

bjung is on a distinguished road
I would never plan to venture offshore on passage without epirb and liferaft. There is something said for peace of mind on passage, and the ability to sleep well depends on it. But I know delivery captains, who would not be so picky.....
Old 08-02-2011
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road
OK, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Another poster referred to Tim & Pauline Carr. I cite the Eric and Susan Hiscock, widely acknowledged as the first of the modern cruising sailors. They didn't even want to carry a VHF for fear they might be tempted to use it in a bind and thus inconvenience or endanger others. There is WAY too much reliance on modern technology among underprepared sailors who figure if something goes wrong they can just push a button... If the engine quits - fix it or sail. If the sails or rig are damaged, fix them or jury rig. Lose the rudder - steer with the sails or improvise. Taking on water - find the leak and plug it. If all else fails - pray and prepare to meet your Maker. If you are not willing to do all of the above, you shouldn't be out in the open ocean. Take some responsibility for your actions.
Old 08-02-2011

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
There is WAY too much reliance on modern technology among underprepared sailors who figure if something goes wrong they can just push a button...
I think the main question is, would you do the trip if the device didn't exist?

If you wouldn't be comfortable sailing without an epirb, as in you don't think you could complete the trip safely, then you're probably not ready to do the trip at all. For people who "need" an item like that, it can sometimes put them into situations they normally wouldn't attempt if they were all on their own. You hear about this a lot more now with SPOT and people getting into situations they normally wouldn't attempt without one.

On the other hand a used epirb are going for $300-400 on ebay. To me it'd be silly not to have one at that price for a trip like this. Things go wrong for even the best and most prepared people and something like that is just another tool in the toolbox.
Old 08-02-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
......On the other hand a used epirb are going for $300-400 on ebay......
Be careful of these. The batteries are life limited and can cost hundreds to replace, bringing you close to the cost of new.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
OK, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. .......
The debate is always between your personal liberty to take whatever chances you choose and the cost to society for launching a six figure search and rescue. The later is what drives the criticism of improper preparation.

If you are willing and expect to go down without rescue, so be it. However,making a call from a sinking ship without a gps or epirb reference or liferaft is going to cost substantially more than a call from a dry , where time is not as critical and nearby ships may be directed to respond first.

This is why in hindsight, I don't think it was wise to have had mine delivered without these devices.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 08-02-2011
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
I bought an ACR Globalfix 406MHZ EPIRB w/ GPS last year new for $388. You can find new ones cheap enough if you look around and wait.
Old 08-02-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
EPIRBs are a "modern day" piece of kit and as LauderBoy asked, would you go to sea if the device never existed? Of course you would and we all did for many years. But life rafts on long voyages have been a basic component of sailors for many decades now and a decision to go to sea without a life raft is IMHO, silly.

Unless of course you subscribe to the philosophy that if anything goes terminally wrong you're OK to die as a consequence. But that philosophy should be subscribed to by all persons aboard not just the skipper.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke