Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Coastal offshore I would do without a raft, deep ocean no way.

I somewhat agree with you Andre re the EPIRB but if I sink someone is going to notice and at some point a search is going to be undertaken at considerable cost to the community at large. If S&R had the EPIRB signal that search would hopefully be shorter and less expensive.

In the case of the Hiscocks we should remember that had they gotten into trouble offshore a full scale S&R would not have been undertaken if only because without EPIRB their known position would have been hazy at best. Its also fair to say that S&R operations and equipment was nowhere near the level of sophistication we see today and finding a yacht in distress or a life raft would have been pretty much hit and miss.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2011
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
...Unless of course you subscribe to the philosophy that if anything goes terminally wrong you're OK to die as a consequence. But that philosophy should be subscribed to by all persons aboard not just the skipper.
I completely agree and I think that was what the OP was getting at. If I was signing on to a delivery crew, I would expect all the modern safety equipment to be on board, including liferaft, EPIRB and Satphone or SSB. I would also want to see collision mats and plywood, extra rigging and sail mending supplies and lots of spares for the engine. When you are working for someone else, you expect workplace safety to be up to standards.

However, on my own boat, my philosophy is to have all the equipment and knowledge I can muster to come home on my own keel. The best liferaft is your own boat. Without the "magic button" to push, many sailors would learn much about their abilities and their drive to survive. There are risks in any undertaking. I not sure I want to die sailing but I am damn sure I don't want anyone else risking their life to get me out of a mess I chose to risk.
HDChopper likes this.
Old 08-03-2011

Henry Irla is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Would you join the captain for off-shore sailing of a 600 to 2000 nm voyage. These are the essential for survival. The boat has a dingy but hell, it won't protect us from weather. Having an EPIRB nowadays is not expensive either.

I am unwilling to join not because these two missing items, but I don't know what other essentials are missing in the boat. What is your take on this?

WE HAVE BEEN SAILING FOR GENERATIONS WITHOUT THE SAFETY GADGETS YOU MISS. iF THE SKIPPER IS GOOD AND THE BOAT IS SOUND, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?
bUT THEN, IN YOU HAVE TO ASK WHAT YOU ASKED, HOW COULD YOU KNOW ABOUT THE BOAT AND THE SKIPPER ANYWAY? RATHER STAY HOME...

Last edited by Henry Irla; 08-03-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: ORTHOGRAFIC CORRECTION
Old 08-04-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Dawg, it is a matter of personal comfort level. The mythological "prudent mariner" probably is carrying an EPIRB these days, or at least a PLB. They've gotten dirt cheap in the last five years. The life raft...I'd like to see a raft OR some solid alternative plan but I can understand a greater reluctance not to invest five grand in a very disposable product. (They all rot and wind up costing serious bucks per year.)

Still, life rafts CAN be rented, and for 2000 offshore miles, "Don't worry be happy" just isn't my idea of the way to do things. I'd call it tempting the Fates, and those broads play to win.

Listen to your gut, if you don't like a situation, pass on it.