SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   No EPRIB and No liferaft? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/77073-no-eprib-no-liferaft.html)

rockDAWG 08-01-2011 05:28 PM

No EPRIB and No liferaft?

Would you join the captain for off-shore sailing of a 600 to 2000 nm voyage. These are the essential for survival. The boat has a dingy but hell, it won't protect us from weather. Having an EPIRB nowadays is not expensive either.

I am unwilling to join not because these two missing items, but I don't know what other essentials are missing in the boat. What is your take on this?

killarney_sailor 08-01-2011 05:41 PM

I would not go. My feeling is that you must have these two items before taking crew offshore. If you are by yourself then it could be ok.

kd3pc 08-01-2011 05:52 PM

chances are that if he/she wants to go offshore and does not have these, there are other important items lacking as well.

I have my own personal PLB, but would not venture more than VHF range from shore without the epirb, liferaft, ditchbag fully equipped, etc.

poopdeckpappy 08-01-2011 05:56 PM

Wow, red flags should be flying in regards to the captains seaworthiness if these items weren't considered important enough

tommays 08-01-2011 05:58 PM

We cant even do a distance race that leaves Long Island Sound without a raft :eek:

jorgenl 08-01-2011 06:17 PM

No way.

JonEisberg 08-01-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy (Post 757395)
Wow, red flags should be flying in regards to the captains seaworthiness if these items weren't considered important enough

Well, not necessarily...

Folks like Tim and Pauline Carr have done more on CURLEW than most of us here ever would in a couple of lifetimes, and yet they've always sailed without such modern "necessities"...

It's simply an individual choice, but anyone's decision to work without a net should not necessarily call into question their competence...

Tempest 08-01-2011 07:10 PM

What type of vessel?

Epirbs can be rented...Boat US has a program.

Do they have any form of long range communications? SSB, Sat Nav, Iridium?
would be nice to obtain weather data.

Your choice, You've been to bermuda..600 miles RT..you know what can happen out there; and how important weather data is.

Life rafts can be rented too if I'm not mistaken.

rockDAWG 08-01-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonEisberg (Post 757418)
It's simply an individual choice, but anyone's decision to work without a net should not necessarily call into question their competence...

I agree if the captain and his crews cordially agree. If I am looking for crews in my boat, I feel uncomfortable not providing the bare essentials for the voyage. I am with the old school.

rockDAWG 08-01-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest (Post 757426)
What type of vessel?

Epirbs can be rented...Boat US has a program.

Do they have any form of long range communications? SSB, Sat Nav, Iridium?
would be nice to obtain weather data.

Your choice, You've been to bermuda..600 miles RT..you know what can happen out there; and how important weather data is.

Life rafts can be rented too if I'm not mistaken.

I don't believe he has a SSB. But I told him I am willing to rent a Sat Phone since I can't get away too long period of time (4 weeks) without contacting with the office.

The EPIRB and liferaft are easy to get or rented as you suggested. But other that I don't see until too late bothers me. With my limited off-shore experience, a sailing vessel is still a rather complex system that takes days to get to know her.

The last Bermuda trip we practically ran out of water because a leak. We just had 5 gal left when we got the custom house. Volunteering as a crew has its risk. But I learn fast and I never make a mistake twice. Discomfort and lousy environment do not bother me, but dying without a good reason is irresponsible to those depend on me.

In the near future, I think I will look for a crew position with a professional delivery captain.