SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Best Insurance companies for the over 30 ft boats? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/77082-best-insurance-companies-over-30-ft-boats.html)

Boasun 08-01-2011 08:58 PM

Best Insurance companies for the over 30 ft boats?

Went to my auto insurance company and their quote seemed to be out of this world and that they had no understanding USCG licenses or the larger vessels. I think they mainly insure the small boats about the size of bass boats and smaller.

So for the cruising sailor, which insurance company do you recommend?

Tempest 08-01-2011 09:15 PM

Boasun.

1st of all congrats on your new boat!! I hope you get to put many miles under her keel.

I've always had Boat US and have been very pleased with them. They do insure Canadian vessels. Thru CNA

BoatUS: Marine Insurance - Policy Information

tommays 08-01-2011 09:35 PM

Were and when as boat us is good BUT does NOT want me down in Florida

Had no problem with them on a 1970 boat

killarney_sailor 08-01-2011 11:46 PM

Check with IMIS in Annapolis about their Jackline policy for cruisers. The insurance company is Merkel Insurance. We have not had a claim with them so can't talk about that aspect but their coverage is good and not out of line for price. They understand the needs of cruisers.

rockDAWG 08-02-2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor (Post 757576)
Check with IMIS in Annapolis about their Jackline policy for cruisers. The insurance company is Merkel Insurance. We have not had a claim with them so can't talk about that aspect but their coverage is good and not out of line for price. They understand the needs of cruisers.

Thanks for the name. I just checked their Jackline policy, they require 2 crews on the boat. The old, lonely, fat and single male is out. :laugher

Hahaha.... now I can legitimately request a female crew - must be less than 30, red head who can cook and clean and can do massage too. :laugher

killarney_sailor 08-02-2011 12:40 AM

Singlehanded insurance very hard to find

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockDAWG (Post 757586)
Thanks for the name. I just checked their Jackline policy, they require 2 crews on the boat. The old, lonely, fat and single male is out. :laugher

Hahaha.... now I can legitimately request a female crew - must be less than 30, red head who can cook and clean and can do massage too. :laugher

Good luck finding insurance for extended singlehanded cruising. Jackline requires 2 and this is better than many policies that require at least three crew for long passages. At least the Jackline policy recognizes that many couples are out there cruising.

Also good luck getting the designated crew - you may find that redheads have major problems with the sun. Hope you like freckles.

aeventyr60 08-02-2011 03:25 AM

Plenty of nice Thai gals for fat old sailors. You just gotta sail a bit further to get one. Cooks, cleans and takes care of this getting older sailor.

rockDAWG 08-02-2011 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor (Post 757598)
Also good luck getting the designated crew - you may find that redheads have major problems with the sun. Hope you like freckles.

Oh yes, red head with freckles, it is the photographer's dream. I am in heaven. :) :) :)

rockDAWG 08-02-2011 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeventyr60 (Post 757624)
Plenty of nice Thai gals for fat old sailors. You just gotta sail a bit further to get one. Cooks, cleans and takes care of this getting older sailor.

So when I get to Thailand, I need to make a call:

Me: Honey, i am in Thailand. Don't bother to fly over, it is not worth it . It's hot and humid. There are no flush toilet and i don't even want to tell you where was the fly landed before it lands on my face. You get the pic. :laugher

Wife: Oh you poor thing. Why don't you just fly back home.
Me: No i can't. If I fly back, the pirates will take the boat for sure.
Oh yeah, don't bother to call me either; their cell service sucks. Just email me if you want, I will try to find a place to connect. Don't keep your hope up. i gotta go :)
Me to the Thai chick: My dear, you missed this muscle here. Is happy ending provided. :laugher:laugher:laugher

Edited:
Sorry Boasun, we got sidetracked. Let's return to the regular program. And Congrats, if you are going to Thailand, you have a crew. :p

Tim R. 08-02-2011 08:35 AM

Amica. You deal direct with the company(no agents) and they stand behind their policies. Never had a dispute with their service. Regularly ranked tops in service.