Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
He who arrives first dictates the rules.
Even if he is behaving stupidly
Old 08-03-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
This is true, however, I maintain there is a difference between rules and etiquette.

If I arrive before a 90 year old woman with a cane to the last seat on the subway, I am entitled to it. That's the rule. That doesn't make it proper etiquette.
T37Chef and davidpm like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
, and a circle raftup of power boats (10 boats) aft and to the right end of our raft. Of course the circle isn't going to swing.
Very funny story. I love that you took pity on the wife.

But what is circle rafting. I can guess of course but exactly how does it work.
Is it better than a normal raftup.
Old 08-03-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
But what is circle rafting. I can guess of course but exactly how does it work.
Is it better than a normal raftup.
I don't know if it's better, but if you take the two ends of a straight raft and bring them together so that all the boats are in a circle, that's a circle raft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-03-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Interesting replies. Thanks.

While my intitial reaction was "well they should be prepared to pull up the stern anchor", first in best dressed has always been the way I've taken such situations so I most certainly was not going to raise the issue with the other boat. When we circled the anchorage checking it out I waved to the woman on board as we passed. Her only reply was a stiff "we have a stern anchor out" ... no wave no hello. I took that to mean imanarsehole so we moved off. Some folk simply let off an air of bad attitude.

There were btw no out of the ordinary weather reports. We had a SouWesterly that had been blowing for a few days and that anchorage was exposed to the south but it was fairly benign. They had been anchored there for a couple of weeks and had set the fore and aft anchors to keep their bow pointing into the direction of incoming wake from passing ferries and the like. I can well understand why they did it, but I confess I think it was a bit rude. They were obviously long term liveaboard cruisers. Young couple with at least one very young sprog.

Anywho, our decision to go elsewhere had more to do with the fact that we would have to anchor off their stern and a boat covered in nappies was not a view I fancied. To boot the other boat in the anchorage had run a deck mounted generator for hours on end when we were last there. We buggered off to a quieter spot , better protected and without the possibility of squawking sprog in the middle of the night.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-03-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Sounds like the stern anchor trick is the equivalent to parking diagonally in a parking lot to keep other cars away or spreading your stuff out on seats to your right and left in a theater so no one sits next to you.
Minnewaska likes this.
Old 08-04-2011
Tartan 28

drgamble is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Sounds like the stern anchor trick is the equivalent to parking diagonally in a parking lot to keep other cars away or spreading your stuff out on seats to your right and left in a theater so no one sits next to you.
I have another take... in the Channel Islands bow and stern anchoring is pretty common due to topography and allowing more boats access into limited anchorages. 5 weeks ago I was on the South side of Catalina approaching Little Harbor. Anyone familiar with the anchorage will tell you it is very protected but can accomodate 1-2 boats with a bow anchor only and 3-6 boats with bow and stern (I've seen references it can hold 10... would have to be one of those circular raft ups to make that work! )

As I approached there was one other boat anchored. I made a loop around the boat and was unable to tell if a stern anchor was also deployed as there was a dinghy and some other lines/gear hanging off the stern of the boat. I would always give deference to the boat first anchored. During my loop the owner came to the cockpit from down below - I was close enough that we were able to have the following exchange... I asked "are you laying on a stern anchor also?" His reply - "I am - let me know if you need any help or if you need me to adjust our position."

My wife and I were able to set our own bow and stern anchors, relative to his boat's position without a problem. I was grateful that (a) he wasn't taking up the entire harbor with a bow anchor only which wouldn't be hard to do if you dropped with an excessive scope and if there were any wind change and (b) his kindness in communication and cooperation. You could tell that he was with his family (2 kids in tow) on an extended cruise with a very seaworthy boat and he exemplified the attitude we should all share amongst each other. Kudo's to his attitude and communication. Not all bow/stern anchorers are out to get you...
jholder likes this.

Tartan 28
Peregrine

Old 08-04-2011
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That was my understanding, regardless of technique. Thanks to everyone for confirming it.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
Old 08-04-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
drgamble,
Absolutely agree with you. Its not the practice thats at fault its the practitioners. Some are good guys some are duffers. Way of the world.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-04-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I agree with Simon - rules dictate that the first one down calls the shots - etiquette dictates that all others who come in later keep their distance.

It's no different to the guy who puts out twice the rode he needs and swings onto everything near him. If he's there first . . . . . the only etiquette involved is that he advises you and you stay away.

Just for the record I never do either of those things but bow/stern anchoring is often desirable particularly when a swell is coming into the anchorage.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke