Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011

micheck is on a distinguished road
TDW - by staples I meant things like spices, flour, rice, beans, canned goods, some dried fruits and vegetables, and, of course, peanut butter. I did not mean things like fresh fruit and vegetables.

Charles
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheck View Post
TDW - by staples I meant things like spices, flour, rice, beans, canned goods, some dried fruits and vegetables, and, of course, peanut butter. I did not mean things like fresh fruit and vegetables.

Charles
I think you will find that tinned vegetables, spices and the like would not be a problem, only meat product. Australia and New Zealand do not have foot and mouth disease. As such both nations are very funny when it comes to imported meat products even if the cans did say 'in Australia or NZ'.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-04-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I don't know about Australia but in New Zealand they're totally paranoid about anything to do with nuts. Here's how paranoid.

We came to NZ via Raratonga which is basically New Zealand East Island. Same shops, same bank, same everything. We stocked up with bits and pieces from the supermarket.

When we got to NZ the MAF boys found a SEALED tin of assorted nuts and confiscated it. When I handed the tin over (expensive) I pointed to some print on the tin and asked "Does this mean anything?" to which he responded "No it doesn't"

What did the print say? "Packed in New Zealand".

Go figure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 08-04-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Andre,
I guess that as in the Oz packed meat product mentioned earlier they are not to know if the tin has been tampered with or even though highly unlikely has been re labelled. I'd love to know why or how nuts could be considered a problem. That does seem strange.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-05-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Andre,
I guess that as in the Oz packed meat product mentioned earlier they are not to know if the tin has been tampered with or even though highly unlikely has been re labelled. I'd love to know why or how nuts could be considered a problem. That does seem strange.
I understand it has something to do with the fact that they're seeds and one in 20 million could come through the roasting process and still be viable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke