SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Stupid Questions ...

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Omatako 
#1 ·
I am trying these questions on the new chat function - it was suggested that I try them here because there are more eyeballs here ...

1: I want to create a 4:1 tackle; I see many single blocks with becket and cam cleats and many triple blocks with backet and cam cleats - but no doubles with ... Any reason why? I have considered fiddle blocks but I am not a fan of the different sizes of sheaves - maybe an unnecessary worry.

2: How do you handle the lifeline-pushpit when you have an end boom mainsheet tackle and you are in a broad reach situation? I ask because the lifeline supports a 'round the boat' netting to keep me and my furry companions less wet.

3: Are you able to provision a boat with staples at the beginning of your trip and not run afoul of local agricultural inspectors destroying your provisions because the provisions did not say 'canned in Australia' ... or how do you handle provisioning?

Others may feel free to jump in with their 'stupid questions' OR maybe some answers!

#2 · (Edited)
Another question - I am considering either an Echo Charger or a Yamdima Battery Combiner to keep the Starter Battery charged without using 'the Switch'. I gather one is solid state and one has a mechanical relay. Any thoughts on reliability? The battery combiner has different models for the 'through current' - as a starter , is this the max alternator current (~120 Amps)?

My current manual windlass has seen better days (before rust...); I will be replacing it - thoughts on manual vs electric (I have 300' of 1/4 HT chain and 44 lb anchor) (I also have a pressure wash spray nozzle) If manual - what ones are still available - pros/cons? If electric - which one? Should I put a windlass battery up near the windlass or use really big wires? Do I power it off of the house batteries if it does not have it's own battery?

#4 ·
Micheck on #1 you are in the wrong store... For a 4:1 tackle you do need two double blocks, one with a becket and one without. They are common and available at most marine stores. But you may have to use their catalog to order them.
Then you have the choice of wroving them either, right-angle or Parallel.

#7 ·
Yes you can run afoul of the differing regulations in many countries. Australia has the the srictest rules on this. They even took our "canned in australia" meat products. Most of the times we know before hand the local rules. When we sailed into New Zealand we made sure to eat all our fresh fruits and veggies. I think we ate the last of it as we were being boarded by the officials. Usually not a big deal. Anything they don't like goes into the bin.

#8 ·
What I don't understand from the OP original questions is just why anyone would want to provision a boat for the entire voyage. Certain items I can understand such as shampoos or soaps , personal hygiene things, hey maybe even coffee but food ? Nope, I don't get it.

#9 ·
we like to shop locally and eat fresh food as much as possible. However there are a few things we can't get in some places so will stock up on more of these when they are available. So TDW got a few extra cans of Wattie's baked beans onboard?

#10 ·
hee hee .... well I guess that is the kind of foodstuff you might take along and of course we could never forget the vegemite, but meat ? Nah, not going to happen. It would only be done on the notion that no other country on the face of this poor benighted planet is capable of selling you decent dead animal and as we both know that is silly.

#12 ·
I think you will find that tinned vegetables, spices and the like would not be a problem, only meat product. Australia and New Zealand do not have foot and mouth disease. As such both nations are very funny when it comes to imported meat products even if the cans did say 'in Australia or NZ'.

#13 ·
I don't know about Australia but in New Zealand they're totally paranoid about anything to do with nuts. Here's how paranoid.

We came to NZ via Raratonga which is basically New Zealand East Island. Same shops, same bank, same everything. We stocked up with bits and pieces from the supermarket.

When we got to NZ the MAF boys found a SEALED tin of assorted nuts and confiscated it. When I handed the tin over (expensive) I pointed to some print on the tin and asked "Does this mean anything?" to which he responded "No it doesn't"

What did the print say? "Packed in New Zealand".

Go figure

#14 ·
Andre,
I guess that as in the Oz packed meat product mentioned earlier they are not to know if the tin has been tampered with or even though highly unlikely has been re labelled. I'd love to know why or how nuts could be considered a problem. That does seem strange.

#15 ·
I understand it has something to do with the fact that they're seeds and one in 20 million could come through the roasting process and still be viable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.