Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
so what brand/ size you you consider for me

so i want a weekender that has a stove/ pora potty/ beds/ cooler so what size do you think would be good for me. must have a trailer. also will be at a mooring all summer but trailerd in the winter. i was thinking of and outboard motor for the boat. so what do you think that i would spend on a boat like this and what size i was thinking 22-25'.
Old 08-03-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
I would look at a com-pac 23(some reasonably prices around here) but i can tell you there are some great deals on craigslist(norfolk) on many different boats in that size range at very very reasonable prices. If i were rich and wanted a boat in that range, there was a DANA 24 listed on CL the other day for 54k. Judging buy your screen name you probably already know but there is a magazine (small craft advisor) that has alot of good reviews on boats below 26ft. At barnes and noble there was a book "The Sailor's Book Of Small Cruising Sailboats: Reviews And Comparisons Of 360 Boats Under 26 Feet" that would be worth looking at. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2011

swampcreek is on a distinguished road
We have a 1993 Macgregor swing keel with an 8 HP Nissan 2 stroke. We LOVE it! We spend weekends on it and spent last Labor Day week on it as well. We plan to spend this upcoming Labor Day week on it. We head out many times when most boats are returning or hugging shore lines, now that doesn't make it a storm buster but most boats can handle more than the skipper meaning it's operator error that gets most people in trouble. These boats take a beating on the internet about being to too lightly rigged, tender water balast, too plain inside, blah blah blah. Some people get quite upset at their mere existance...kind of like those power boaters that get so upset about ALL sailboats. Anyway, we really enjoy ours and can't get enough sail time in, even on "day sails" we usually come in with the navigation lights on and even then I find it hard to close her up and walk up the pier to go home. I really like being able to take it home for the winter and do maintanance right outside of the garage. IMO we have a fine boat that normally spends more time under sail than most of our marina neighbors. This year however we haven't been able to sail as much due to the fact that I built my Dad an apartment above the garage and am now fixing his house up to sell...He's worth it. BUT we went out yesterday and had a blast! Hopefully we'll soon be back to normal going out 2 to 3 times a week. Admittedly I am planning on going larger in the next few years like maybe mid 30's but until then we'll have lots of fun on our Mac 26.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 08-04-2011

ftldiver is on a distinguished road
need more info on you, your budget, and where you are located and wish to sail.

the H260 is nice, but pricy. macgregor's older (classic) waterbalast boats are nice cheap choices, as are the cheaper iron keel boats like the M25.

hard to go wrong with the compac's....

fill in the missing details, and I'll give you my opinion...