Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Insurance Question

Does anyone have Progressive Insurance? If you do, will they cover Cosequential Damages? That is say you are tied to you dock and a through-hull fitting starts to leak (due to corrosion) and sinks your boat. My policy will not cover the replacement of the corroded through-hull fitting, but will it cover refloating the boat and repairs due to flooding? I have read the policy and it does not seem to address the issue. I have liability and comp. Comp to the full value of the boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
I did. It was impossible to get them to do what they said they would do, let alone what the policy says.

In the case of the thru hull that is a maintenance issue...unless your policy covers maintenance...which most do not.

Best of luck with progressive and if you live in one state, the boat is in another and the policy is "written" in another...you are in for a ride.....to say the least
Old 08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
I did. It was impossible to get them to do what they said they would do, let alone what the policy says.

In the case of the thru hull that is a maintenance issue...unless your policy covers maintenance...which most do not.

Best of luck with progressive and if you live in one state, the boat is in another and the policy is "written" in another...you are in for a ride.....to say the least
So what your saying is Progressive does not stand behind the policy? I understand the through hull corrosion is my problem, but what about the cosequential damage due to the failure of a leaking through hull? That is what I would be concerned about. In any case, sounds like I should look for another insurance company.
Old 08-04-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Casey

you got it....you may want to call a few marine insurance brokers to get the reality that marine insurance is a different product than other insurances we may use. Unless the progressive policy explicitly states consequential damage, and defines that in terms you understand (and I doubt that it will)...I would spend the $$ on a reputable marine policy.

I have found them to be quite difficult to deal with on everything except taking your money on the net.
Old 08-04-2011

Sounds like you are right. The policy states that basically you have no coverage for windstorm or any storm damage where the government has issued a weather warning (NOAA issues these all the time). So just when you need the insurance, you policy is not in effect- at least that is how I read it. I'm going to check some other companies.
Thanks,
Old 08-04-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Sounds like you are right. The policy states that basically you have no coverage for windstorm or any storm damage where the government has issued a weather warning (NOAA issues these all the time). So just when you need the insurance, you policy is not in effect- at least that is how I read it. I'm going to check some other companies.
Thanks,
That's interesting. My insurance pays to have my boat hauled and put back when there is a named storm. Anything less than that I figure I can handle taking care of the boat myself. But I guess it depends on your location.

When I first shopped for insurance I checked with the company that carries our house, thinking it'd be cheaper. When they didn't require a survey for a 30-year old boat or ask where my primary boating waters were I went elsewhere. I figured if they didn't know enough about boats to require a survey or ask basic questions, I didn't want to take the chance that they would not pay when there was a claim.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-04-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I also have coverage to haul the boat in a named storm, but it's clearly an add-on.

Wasn't this OP question asked elsewhere already?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.