Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011

ebrown76 is on a distinguished road
contessa 26 1985???

Hello-
I recently purchased a 1985 (or so I was told) Contessa 26. I have been doing some research for different projects that I need to do and every picture of the 1985 models have a slightly different interior as well as different ports. I understand that there is supposedly a placard in the cockpit with hull number etc which is missing. The number on the registration is ZJT033080885 which from my understanding indicates hull #308, built in 08 1985. Unfortunately hull number 308 places this boat as a 1983 frpm what I can find.

Does anyone with Contessas or prior contessas have any idea how to find actual hull number or how I can find out the actual year of this boat?

Some details:
2 hatches and extended coachroof place this boat at least a 1983 to my knowledge
nav table with icebox underneath to starboard
head storage under vberth
sink to port with 2 sliding cabinets underneath no stove
original electrical panel to starboard

heres a link that may or may not work....
1985 contessa 26 - Bing Images

Thanks for the help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2011

sailpower is on a distinguished road
That HIN does not look right for a post 1984 boat. It looks like one of the formats used pre 1984 but then it wouldn't have the 85 at the end.

I'm wondering if maybe it is a kit boat that wasn't finished until 1985?

Boat Title Answers » Blog Archive » Hull Identification Number - What does it mean?
Old 08-05-2011

To my knowledge this is not a kit boat. I just doubt that it is an 1985. Interior pictures are most consistent with an '83 or '84. I am wondering if there is any location on the boat to confirm hull id #. The number listed above is what the PO had registered boat under in ME.............
Old 08-05-2011

sailpower is on a distinguished road
After August 1, 1984 boats were required to have a secondary HIN location somewhere inside the boat. That location was left up to the builder.

When you say the interior is different are you saying that it is a Contessa 26 interior instead of a JJ Taylor interior? Boats built after 1984 should be JJ Taylor as you probably know.

Have you tried the Contessa 26 Association?

Contessa 26 Association - The Contessa 26 - A Brief History
Old 08-05-2011

Im not entirely sure if it is a Contessa 26 or a Taylor 26 interior. It is definitely post 1983 and Canadian built (2 hatches, extended coach roof, bow anchor lazarette). The 1985's however have different ports and slighly different cabinetry after looking at multiple photos. I did check out the website and have scoured it for more ways to determine what year Contessa I purchased...........

thanks for your help....
Old 08-05-2011

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road
EB

Can't answer your question but you could try posting at The Contessa Corner - A site for Contessa owners, sailors and dreamers. A Canadian based Contessa 26 website, It doesn't have a lot of traffic these days but the people over there know their stuff as it relates to co26's

John
Old 08-22-2011

bmjnyc is on a distinguished road
I almost bought her up in Maine this winter, decided to go with this one instead. 1972 JJ Taylor Contessa 26 sailboat for sale in Outside United States

Great little boat, sailed her down from Toronto to Orient Point Long Island. Enjoy your boat!
Old 08-22-2011

JordanH is on a distinguished road
I have a 1983 Contessa 26, hull #312, that was manufactured late 1983 and shown at the 1984 Toronto Boat Show. The interior in the photos is a similar layout to mine; However, mine originally came with a 2 burner stove that was fixed in place beside the sink.

The format of the HIN is consistent, so I suspect it's a typo. Perhaps #328?
ZJT033121283 (Mine)
ZJT033080885 (Yours)
Have you hoisted the sails to check for a sail number?

It looks like a clean little Contessa; Not many frills but simple and clean. I hope you had the decks measured for moisture. In three years of searching for Contessas, I only found mine that had dry decks - even now, I suspect my surveyor missed a few spots.

I'm curious to know about how the two things work;
1. Force 10 Diesel Heater. I've considered this but have been told it's not worth the investment. How does it work for you?
2. The Yanmar 10HP. I may need to repower the boat in a few years. Everyone tells me I should get another 20 years from the original Farymann, but I have my doubts. How does it run? Can it get you to hull speed?

Isn't it illegal to remove the HIN plate?
Old 08-22-2011

JordanH is on a distinguished road
p.s. The HIN plate is supposed to be on the port side, on the cockpit-side of the transom, right behind the pushpit vertical bar. Basically, just to the port side of where the tiller crosses the transom. Your pictures clearly show that it is AWOL.

edit: This is an unsightly photo, but it's the only one I had online that shows the location of the HIN plate

Last edited by JordanH; 08-22-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: added photo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.