Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Never-Dull is great on flat or tubular surfaces that are easily rubbed. No way you can get that cloth inside the crevices and odd shapes that SS is designed to address.

I'm surprised that the SS guy hasn't weighed in yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Spotless Stainless is great stuff.

Spotless Stainless (LINK)
= Direct mail order only

It really works quite well though is a tad slow and on some older stuff it may require two applications.

Some things I have learned about it.

Do NOT use in direct sun
Do use it on a warm humid evening so evaporation is kept down
It won't work well in cooler temps (below 70F performance slows)
Work on the shaded side of the boat if working during sun up hours
Don't stand their watching it

Here are the ACTUAL photos of Spotless Stainless working.

Temp was 68F, humidity 63%, set time 1:20 minutes, only because I got side tracked. I can't accurately comment on how long it actually took to get that clean. This was a 25 year old Wichard snap shackle that I have had on a number of halyards. The surface is pitted from time and exposure, and the Spotless Stainless won't fix pitting, but it did and does remove the rust very well even if a little slow. In higher temps and humidity it does seem to work faster. Below 70 degrees it seems to begin to slow down.

It is what it is:

Before:

During:

After Rinsing:

Not bad for doing nothing but brushing it on, letting it sit and rinsing it.

When the boat was on the mooring, and after a sail, I busted out the SS and a chip brush. Worked up near the bow. While waiting I got some paperwork done then went back and rinsed it off. Overall really, really easy. The ability to clean stainless while I am doing other work is really quite nice..

For rinsing it I used a bucket of water and a wet microfiber rag. I did not feel like going into the dock to rinse down or to get out out my on-board hose. It rinsed off fine..

I also tested a spot where I waxed over some rust purposely. It does not work very well unless the stainless is unprotected and may take considerably more time or perhaps not work at all depending upon how thick the wax coating is. Remove any wax before using..

These pics were all taken on 6/23/10..

Before:

During:

After:

Temps were 78F with about 84% RH and it worked in about 30 minutes today. It was however direct sun so I had to keep it wet. I discovered that you can cover it with a dampened and wrung out microfiber rag and it keeps it wet longer.

Keep it wet and use in warm temps and the stuff really works and leaves a very nice shiny surface.

For experimentation's sake I tried it on a seacock. I also used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with the Spotless Stainless. This took a long time, a lot longer then the stainless, but the results were great when it finally had enough time to do its work. Getting through the verdigris took a while but this is right next to my nav station where I was working so it was easy to keep an eye on the progress..

I don't advise using the product in this manner, not its intended use, but I did do it.

I really love this product..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-13-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Maine Sail,
Concerning waxing stainless, I would think this would starve the stainless of its needed oxygen to remain passive. What is your take on this, to wax or not to wax?
Old 10-14-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
I have been happy with it. Like Minne, I've not gotten around to it as much as I would like. Part of the problem is that if the temperatures are above 70 around here, we are out sailing!

I like Maine Sail's idea of using a bucket and cloth to rinse. That would be a handier solution that using a hose as I've done.

I also have found that Miracle Cloth works great on stanchions etc...

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
Old 10-20-2011

Nudibranch is on a distinguished road
I finally got some and it beats hand polishing everything. Not really the silver bullet I was hoping for, but it works. I found that its really not a "apply and simply rinse off" process. I had to use a clean wet rag to get all of it off. Of course, that could just be because of the water here. And it really takes alot to work, the instructions say to apply enough so it doesn't dry out, and that meant a pretty thick coating.