Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
How about a windvane or sheet-to-tiller steering (http://www.jsward.com/steering/index.shtml)? That would keep you efficient. If there is a wind shift, you will keep going fast, just in the wrong direction. (vs. autopilot that keeps you going in the right direction at sub-optimal trim)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2011

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
I also just returned from the Gov. Cup, and was the jib trimmer at night. When we tacked, I skirted the jib, and could see, from the relationship between the jib and the lifelines, when the sail was close to optimal trim. (If the jib wasn't sheeted in tight enough, the jib laid on the lifelines, creating a small "shelf.") Then I used a small flashlight to check the distance from the sail to the spreader to get it exact. After the sail is in trim for a closehauled course, the helmsman can keep it there by using instruments to steer the boat to the same apparent wind angle.
Old 08-09-2011

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
Although there are a number of ways, many mentioned here, I believe feel and sound are the best. Try this the next time you go out sailing. Set a course and trim the sails for optimal speed. Now, close you eyes (make sure no other boats are around) and let out the jib sheet slowly until it luffs. Feel the difference in both boat speed and heal. Now sheet in until the sheet is tight feeling the same. Now let out the jib until the boat feels right again. Check your sail trim. Do this over and over and feel and sound becomes a second sense..
Old 08-09-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailKing1 View Post
Although there are a number of ways, many mentioned here, I believe feel and sound are the best. Try this the next time you go out sailing. Set a course and trim the sails for optimal speed. Now, close you eyes (make sure no other boats are around) and let out the jib sheet slowly until it luffs. Feel the difference in both boat speed and heal. Now sheet in until the sheet is tight feeling the same. Now let out the jib until the boat feels right again. Check your sail trim. Do this over and over and feel and sound becomes a second sense..
It is a good idea, I will try to do this. However, the problem of this approach by listening to the sound and wind in your face is not sensitive enough. i find reading the multiple telltales on the sail give me the instant how the wind acts on the sail immediately.

I agree sailing "in part" is an art one has to develop on his own.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 08-09-2011

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
Dawg, Telltales are an instant read, (provided they are properly placed) and i have used them more often than not, but tails are not always available on another's boat. I also think you might find when letting your sense of hearing and feel take over, you will notice subtle differences in the wind sound and feel and the sound of water against the hull. This along with viewing the space between of the main and jib together can be as beneficial for optimal sail trim. It's amazing what your senses can pick up with your eyes closed. Now of course this is in moderate sailing conditions, but during heavy winds optimal sail trim wouldn't be of concern.

Good luck on imporving your skills. Every sail should be an learning experiance IMO.
Old 08-09-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Night vision goggles. Here are some for $40.
Night Vision Goggles - product summary - Bing Shopping
Old 08-09-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Night vision goggles. Here are some for $40.
Night Vision Goggles - product summary - Bing Shopping
I am thinking to make my telltales in fluorescent green. But for the night goggles, I want a Gen 2 or 3 night vision. I always worry about the run-way container in the middle of the Pond - a direct hit of 5 knots will be fatal.

This one will be nice:
ATN PS-15-3 Night Vision Binocular Goggle NVGOPS1530 B&H Photo

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 08-10-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
dawg, I think you'll find that anything which makes your telltales glow in the dark, will also make them too stiff and heavy to fly.

nv goggles will also constrict your field of vision.

Better to find a way to install focused LEDs, with a dimmer, to light up the telltales if you must see them. White, red, amber, blue-green...The real best color is whatever works for YOU at the brightness YOU need. Red was debunked long ago, it isn't necessary.