Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by landmineop View Post
Getting ink is a permanent commitment. Good work is not cheap. Befor you make the decision I would suggest that you look at ink that has been on someone for 10 or more years. Then try to imagine that boat after 10 years. Getting ink because "you really like the boat picture" is shortsighted. If you want to look at boat pictures then buy a painting or buy some photos in frames for your wall. I have ink but I knew what I was getting into and WHY I was getting into it. You may want to think about this for a while befor you act.
C'mon. My ink still looks great! And the chicks seriously dig it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
If you have to ask if it's a good choice for a tattoo, then it probably isn't. Why? The "cool" tattoos are the ones that mean something to the person wearing it and F' what everyone else thinks.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 08-09-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
I am a firm believer in individual expression. My body is emblazoned with motorcycle brands, sailing themes, tropical scenes & sports teams.

They're called T-shirts.

Mike
Old 08-09-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
As far as the art goes I think it would be a good choice provided you have an excellent artist to do the work. Eliminate all of the background except maybe a few of the ocean waves. The shading should be easier due to the angle of the boat. It's a nice pic but not overly complicated all things considered.

Of course all of this is coming from a guy with zero artistic talent. And I have seen a lot of good artists with good pics turn out like crap.
Old 08-09-2011

SabrinaKS is on a distinguished road
Great thread. Fun to hear what everyone thinks would be a kewl sailing tattoo. I have pondered that myself a few times. If you are having a bad day, cruise on over to ugliesttattoos.net There is some funny stuff on there that is sure to make you laugh. Don't forget to look through the older posts to get the full jest.
Lake Perry KS & East Coast

Old 08-09-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Just an old guy's thoughts....but consider:

Times change, people change. What's cool today probably won't be in a few years. It's not a bad plan to have an escape route from anything and everything, just in case circumstances change or you change your mind. But a tattoo is more or less permanent....once you have it, you can't readily escape from it, if you should decide later that you don't want it. Dress as you want, cut or dye your hair, etc. These are reversible. But generally try to avoid permanent, no escape situations. Not just for tattoos, but in life in general.

Sorry for the ramblings of an old guy, but.....
Old 08-09-2011

PPPPPP42 is on a distinguished road
I'm not into the bandwagon tattoos or I would have my arms covered in "tribal" tattoos like every other twit that is being different by conforming to the alternative.

That being said, my interest in sailboats had become a running gag at work, people will always say "I like sailboats" at random now to mock me in a friendly way because of the number of times a day I talk about them.

I firmly believe a tattoo should represent the person it is being put on, and not just look cool or be some attempt at looking bad. Tattoos that show affiliation to a group or love for a person also don't agree with me since I have yet to see that either are permanent. So a sailboat is something I like enough that I wouldn't regret it, especially since I'm smart enough not to get tattoos anywhere that can be seen even in just a t-shirt and shorts.

I picked that boat (though I will look at pics of reliance and see if I like its lines better) because its much more pleasing to look at than my Oday 22 and most likely any boat I will own in my life. The long flowing lines, clipper bow and huge sweeping sails are what a sailboat should be (if you want a crowd of people to have a full time job just making the blasted thing move)

I actually expect most people will think its kinda stupid, definitely not one of those "Oh, that's badass man!" tattoos.

EDIT: Reliance is a great boat but after reviewing photos its a tad odd on the hull lines (apparently for extended waterline length when heeled) so I don't think its quite what I want. On that note I had seen that Columbia has an absolutely gorgeous clipper hull but the sail plan is a bit more rigid and less flowing and most of that detail in the hull wouldn't carry well to a tattoo so I picked Volunteer instead.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 08-09-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-10-2011

SailingStNick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick
Tried to post a pic of mine to no avail. Very simple line drawing of a well-known artist. Maybe I'll figure it out soon.
Old 08-10-2011

TheMadchef is on a distinguished road
Sailor Jerry has some pretty cool tatts. Especially like the sparrows and anchors. Good rum too.
Old 08-10-2011
Lake Pirate

CraigCS27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
....Sincerely, Your Mother
^^That's funny right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmhead View Post
No tats here, not even the Eagle, Anchor, Globe.

Saw a great hat this weekend... Scars are just like tattoos, but with better stories.

Maybe you should just go get a scar. LOL
I agree for two reasons....1) I have scars and the stories are memories, 2) I am afraid of needles.
CS 27 #1644

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.