Cape May to Block Island :) - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 08-12-2011 Thread Starter
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
PS. Dead Reckoning isn't really an art. It's just keeping track of stuff. Anyway, I landed at Long Island, not Block. If I'd been headed for England, I'd have hit Morrocco.
I heard Morocco women are good.

DR is half art and half documentation. You look at how fast the bubbles passing the boat and come up a knot number, record the heading and the time, you give out your guesstimate. The more you guess, the more art it becomes.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 08-12-2011

I'm surprised no one mentioned that there are 8? shipping lanes coming out of the Hudson River between NY and NJ! I made the trip on a Cape Dory 30 equipped with AIS and we counted 28 ships at one time. When they are turning and you see them bow on from a couple of miles away it is still a little unnerving. Nice that the AIS unit tells you they are turning, and how big they are if they are going to run you down. I'd stay offshore just to avoid the ships.

Gary H. Lucas
post #13 of 18 Old 08-12-2011 Thread Starter
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Yeap AIS is nice. Unfortunately we dont have it on board yet. Thanks for the heads up. We intend to stay out the shipping lanes before the sun goes down. I got used to rub elbow with the big ass boats. We will be careful.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-15-2011 Thread Starter
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

We arrived Block island at 9:30 pm last nite (Sunday). We left ocean city NJ on sat at 3:00 pm. It was a beautful day on sat but rain most if the raining on Sunday. Wind from south with 2 to 4 ft see to 4 to 6 ft sea. No much sea traffic at all. No Sail boats to be seen.

By the time we tied up. Most Places were close. We ended up to take a taxi to Poor Man pub to eat. I was surprise to see a lot young chicks there, friendly and sweet.

Passport 37 rode the waves with class. I had fun. She is beautifully and well kept and restored. What a greatl boat. . The bad part is she has no jib furler and autohelm, so make single handed a lot tougher. It is nice to go back the old way to sail. The captain was wonderful, well manner, reciprocate kindness. I ask the captain we should sail to Bermuda and the st Martin this winter.

I am on the ferry now on route to new London. And catch an amtrek train back home. It was an easy sail.
Signing off and thanks everyone' the helpful comments.

Fine Print:
post #15 of 18 Old 08-15-2011

Congratulations! Glad to hear that the trip was pleasant and successful.

Quote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned that there are 8? shipping lanes coming out of the Hudson River between NY and NJ!
It's NYC and one of the busiest harbors in the world. They have to get there somehow, an it's not via the Sound. Every chart shows the lanes.

Sabre 38 "Victoria"
post #16 of 18 Old 08-16-2011
Señor Member

Ocean City! You originally said Cape May. It would have been nice to say hello!

I did more or less the same trip last year - Barnegat Bay - Block - LI Sound - NYC - Barnegat, It was a blast and the best part was my wife had fun too!
post #17 of 18 Old 08-16-2011

Sounds like a great sail. You averaged over 5 knots and made good time.
Another notch in your belt..You are definitely racking up the miles..

Tempest
Sabre 34
Morgan, NJ
post #18 of 18 Old 08-16-2011 Thread Starter
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Thanks for the kind words, Sabreman, Ottos and Tempest. It was indeed a nice ride. On Sunday, the waves were behind us pushing us toward Block island. We were in constantly in 7.5 knots SOG. I wish we had the boom preventer installed. It is hard to pay attention for a four hour shift in manual steering mode at all time. There were a few accidental gybs in my shifts........ nothing big, but did happen. . It is good the Captain was forgiven.
Quote:
It's NYC and one of the busiest harbors in the world. They have to get there somehow, an it's not via the Sound. Every chart shows the lanes.
As I said before, the traffic was every light. I wish we could see more traffics, and had an opportunity to dodge between tug boats.

Quote:
Ocean City! You originally said Cape May. It would have been nice to say hello!

I did more or less the same trip last year - Barnegat Bay - Block - LI Sound - NYC - Barnegat, It was a blast and the best part was my wife had fun too!
hahaha... Yes, that was Captain's choice of telling me we sailed from Cape May to Block Island. I did not realize until I got there. It is Seaview Harbor Marina. It is a nice place but way too much motor boats for my taste. The MV operators were a bit like drivers or Skiers from NYC, they think they own the place.

I am sure I will be back and I will say hello.

Quote:
Another notch in your belt..You are definitely racking up the miles..
Yes, just a small notch. Again the captain was and is a good captain and a good man. I still have a lot of waters need to cover in this year and the next:, like sailing in or to
1. UK or Europe
2. Gulf of Mexico
3. West coast to Hawaii
4. Cape Horn or India Ocean

In term of the challenges at seas, I must go through
1. Complete knock down in 50 kn or above
2. Heave-to for 4 to 5 hours
3. Use of sea anchor or drogue in storm

I hope I can learn these skills with a competent captain instead of me being a captain. But I will take my chances. My bag is always packed and ready to go anywhere in the world if the opportunity arises. I will finance my own way and will work like a dog for the experience.

Life is short, study hard, work smart and play harder.

Fine Print:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.