Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011

gbm4th is on a distinguished road
Help finding an Asymmetrical Spinnaker

I've been reading with interest all the posts on Asymmetrical Spinnakers and hope to order one at the Annapolis boat show. I would like some type of sock for ease of handling. I sail the Chesapeake Bay on a Contest 31, frequently solo.

The quotes I have gotten vary widely. Any particular brand a favorite or have definite advantages over another?

Bacon's has spinnakers that are close to the dimensions I need but with patches. Go for a new sail or a used sail with patches?

Thanks,
george
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Only you can answer the new or used question. With minor repairs it should be just fine. If it's been blown out and restitched, it might be total crap. Depends on what you're looking at.

As far as socks go, I don't like them. Not on boats smaller than 35'. A cruising chute shouldn't be that big anyway.
Old 08-10-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Most people love their Asyms, so finding a used one is nearly impossible. The reason the few are for sale is likely the reason you don't want it. Even if it physically fits on your boat, it is also unlikely to be cut correctly for your rig, unless you hit the lottery. Remember, the term Asymmetrical Spinnaker is a very general catch-all for many different sails.

I've been shopping for a new one as well. I like Quantum, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-10-2011
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
I have one on my boat with ATN sock. It is my favorite sail. I sail solo a lot and need the ATN sock. The best price I got was at FX sails. I have been very happy with it.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 08-10-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
For a single hand cruising sailor I think you'll want the sock.

Your easy way to jibe is going to be to douse, jibe then reset on the other side. That eliminates the risk of any type of wrap which is something you'll defintely want to avoid while alone on the boat.

My boat came with a spinniker in a chute from these guys:

Chutescoop - V.F. Shaw Co., sailing, sail, storm, gale, tacker, spinnaker, sleeve, stasher, flasher, douser, control, turtleroo, ATN, Sunbrella

Its a good deal less expensive than the offering from ATN and mine works great.

The current model is an improvement over the one that came with my asym and I though it was a bit short for my boat, so I bought a replacement at last years boat show in Annapolis.
Old 08-10-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I agree with the others that said finding a used one can be difficult.
A good friend that I crew with around the beer cans works at the local North Loft. I told him I was in need of one. One Wednesday he shows up with a sail and a snuffer and says try this, see if it fits. Sometimes you get lucky.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 08-10-2011

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Ditto sailortjk1's comment about getting lucky, but sometimes patience helps, too. I got a beautiful, flawless assym with snuffer on Ebay, at a good price, that fits my boat and sails great, but I had to look for about 2 years to find it.
Old 08-10-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I know for sym kites, Quantum has 5 or 6 shapes for the spinnaker head compared to others with only 3 shapes for the head. Quantum has always had fast chutes on the course, but they are pricey. I have a Q AP 155, a Q blast reacher, and a Q AP 0.60oz chute. I love their technology and feel they make an outstanding product. However, they won't be the cheapest.

On a cruising boat that doesn't race, FX may be your best bang for the buck next to buying used.

Gybing an asym doesn't require you to douse. Just do outside gybes. Worst case is you run over the lazy sheet. Then you just trim the chute, set the auto, and re-run the lazy. It really is that easy.
Old 08-10-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post

As far as socks go, I don't like them. Not on boats smaller than 35'. A cruising chute shouldn't be that big anyway.
I don't know, my cruising chute seems plenty big to me... (grin)

I love my ATN sock, wouldn't want to sail solo without it, especially offshore or in a seaway... And, the ability to "reef" your spinnaker can come in mighty handy, at times...

As others have mentioned, finding a used asym to fit your boat can be hit and miss, I think it's worthwhile to have a new one built... As the modern Code 0 bears little resemblance to your grandfather's Drifter, there's been a lot of recent development in the latest generation of these sails... For a few years I had used an old North cruising chute I had picked up at Bacon's, when I finally had North build one for me, wasn't even close, it was a quantum leap forward in performance...

Finally, don't get too carried away with colors... No matter how cute or persuasive the young lady who thinks a panel of Hot Pink will be the perfect final touch may be, remember: Less is more, and solid colors can work very well... (grin)

pic is courtesy of the great Bob Grieser, btw...
Old 08-11-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
I am considering making my own... the winters are long here in Wisconsin.