Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Mounting Depth sounder/Fish finder horizontally

It got me thinking. If we mount a depth sounder/fish finder just below the surface of the water horizontally, this will warn us if any obstacle ahead of our boat. It is cheap insurance to have, I wonder if this will work.

I am thinking it out loud.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 08-10-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Anyone thinking outside the box ?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 08-10-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Try some toilet ring wax to mount one in the bilge.
I think it'd have to be a big solid object. I know if mine is at an angle, it doesn't pick up fish very well.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 08-10-2011

miketucker is on a distinguished road
I recently started a thread about forward looking Sonar in the Gear&Maintenance forum. A company called Interphase Tech makes such a device. I'm not sure what the difference would be between that and simply mounting a regular depth sounder facing forward. I guess the regular depth sounder is meant to look straight down, while the forward looking sonar needs to scan an 'arc' in front of you to be useful. Or maybe Interphase is just selling this simple idea with a big mark-up :-).
Old 08-10-2011

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
In my opinion forward looking sonars work the same way as normal depth sounders. The only difference is to be able to receive returning signls from the bottom. The signal will most probably bounce to forward instead of up. The other point is if you can receive the signal the depth should be recalculated. It will be the distance to the sender/receiver unit insteadof depth.
Old 08-10-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Obviously, by mounting a depth sounder or fish finder horizontally facing out from the bow is to detect any obstacle directly in front of the boat.

The concern I have always is the floating object such a big trunk of tree or a floating container box in the middle of the ocean especially in the moonless nite. i can set the depth sounder alarm at 100 meters to sound a warning alarm.

Although the depth sounder is not a scope to scan a prefixed arc, the back and forth motion of bow will provide sufficient coverage for the sounder to work for the intended purpose. I beleive it should work.

Quote:
Or maybe Interphase is just selling this simple idea with a big mark-up :-).
yes, that is what I am afraid of. When comes to yachting, the manufacture multiply the profit by 10 fold. For example, IR function in the camera or video camcorder come with the IR function in their sensor. All these cameras can convert to IR cam with little or no cost. When Garmin got the idea, they build and sell there IR camcorder for boat for 3 to 4K. It is absurd.

Fine Print:
Old 08-10-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketucker View Post
Or maybe Interphase is just selling this simple idea with a big mark-up :-).
I,m thinking you might be right.

Maybe a fish finder set at a shallow angle just below the waterline would give warning of an obstacle ahead. At 5kts its not going to need a huge range.
Safe sailing
Old 08-11-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

I think I will get a cheap depth sounder to experiment if this will work - proof of concept, as you will !!!

I need a sounder that has a built-in warning light so that I can easily connect to a relay to trigger a fog horn, say within 100 or 200 ft. This will be very useful for those making passage.

Hitting a floating container is very unlikely in the middle of ocean, but the thought of this scares me. If indeed I get hit, there is not much time to get out to save my own life.

My other thought is if the radar can pick up the signal of the floating container ????

Fine Print:
Old 08-11-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Using a conventional depth sounder/sonar to "look" forward probably won't work in all but the calmest conditions (if then). The sounder will simply "see" any bubbles produced by surface chop and report those as the closest target. Most sounders don't really "look" in two dimensions, irrespective of what their displays indicate. They simply report the nearest return at the beginning of the "scroll". If the return is weak, and there is a stronger return from a greater depth, it will look like fish (either a fish symbol, or a "boomerang" trace). If you point one of these units forward, the display will almost certainly have so many returns from surface bubbles (i.e., so much noise) that it will be essentially "blind" to anything solid.

One demonstration of this is to look at your depth sounder in really rough water. Often times a sounder (mounted in the proper, vertical, orientation) on a small boat will intermittently display "zero" depth (or a least a very shallow depth), and the scrolling display will look like garbage. This is from the bubbles of particularly big waves passing under the boat. One can often eliminate much or most of the problem by playing with the gain and various other filters (if the unit has them) in these situations. But, if the same sounder were oriented forward there would be many more returns from an essentially infinite rage of distances, making it virtually impossible for the unit's software to differentiate any "real" targets.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 08-11-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-12-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

You bought out a good point. It is worth to reconsider. But the bottom line is dependent on how sensitive the detector to the bubbles and wave motion.

My feeling is most like will not work, otherwise some one must have done it. but it is worth looking into.

Fine Print:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.