using IPE for decking replacing teak - Page 2 - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 08-12-2011
A major issue with all these woods are their stability.
They are typically sold for house decks. They may shrink a lot.

I bought some "mahogany" for about a dollar a lineal foot for 1 x 4 that I loved the look of. It had a very rich beautiful grain. I knew it was wet so I dried it for two months in a closet. I made paneling and kitchen cabinets with it.

My cabinets were the standard frame with recessed inset panel made of 1 x 4 rabbited boards. I fitted the panels loosely on purpose. Fortunately the panels were fitted into a rabbit on the back of the frame not in a groove as is standard. After a particular high humidity month I noticed a panel that was make loose was very tight. I took it out to check and had to plane off at least an 1/8th of an inch to get it back in. It had swelled over 3/16 of an inch in a 14" panel. The cabinets have been in for several years and work great and my design allowed for movement of the wood.
This kind of movement in a deck would probably ruin it, especially considering a deck gets a light drier and a lot wetter than kitchen cabinet doors.

So another property of teak must be extreme dimensional stability.
Unless you know the mystery wood you were using has this kind of stability you will probably create a mess.

Also even if I found a board that seemed to behave properly the way these trees are harvested there can be significant difference in species that are harvested and cut and sold together.
In a deck it don't matter much. In my kitchen and walls I expected it and built accordingly.
In a boat deck I don't know how you could control it unless your made your own manufactured lumber by cutting it into 1/4" strips and gluing it together and encapsulating it like they do with bamboo floor or glue-lam beams.
You probably don't have the equipment to do that.

Last edited by davidpm; 08-12-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 17 Old 08-13-2011
one important thing i haven't seen covered here is the finish durability. it doesn't last because the wood is too dense/hard. it does shrink a lot and twist. it is also called iron wood for a very good reason
post #13 of 17 Old 08-13-2011
Remember you're a womble
What about cork or synthetics? Synthetic Teak Decking for Boats

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-13-2011
It will sink
post #15 of 17 Old 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by 24seven365 View Post
It will sink
Which one- the boat decked with teak or a single piece of ipe wood?
post #16 of 17 Old 08-16-2011
Ipê is native to Brazil and used a lot for house floors in Brazil. It's not exactly a cheap wood here. It is a great wood, though heavy and sometimes hard to work with, as noted above. It is also used a lot in boatbuilding in Brazil. Ipê is an excellent wood for building hulls and wooden decks and is used extensively for building wooden fishing boats and schooners. It's also commonly used for small deck applications (over fiberglass decks) instead of teak, such as on swim platforms, at the bow (to protect the deck from the chain), cockpit seating and such. It's a terrific wood for this kind of application and has tremendous longevity and won't rot. I can't say I've ever seen a whole deck covered in ipê, but then again, wooden decks over fiberglass are so rare in Brazil to begin with, that it's possible that no one has tried it out on decks. Is it that much cheaper than teak in the US??

Vindö 50
post #17 of 17 Old 08-16-2011
Wood movement in decks is a real issue. I have a stack of Indonesian Mahogany that has worked well in interior applications. But when I used some for a small step outdoors the finish failed in short order. Too much wood movement.

The problem with replacing teak with ipe is you're adding twice the weight on deck -- something the boat's designer didn't take into account and you can't predict if that will effect the boat's handling.

There's a reason teak is the prefered wood for decks. Small movement in service, naturally oily, and small pores. Ipe shares these traits. You might think about getting around the weight issue by planing the ipe thinner than the teak that's on there now...

The price difference makes it pretty tempting ipe: $6.60 board ft vs teak: $25 board ft locally. Both are 4/4 finish planed.

95 Catalina 30 Island Time

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.