Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011

nautisailor is on a distinguished road
using IPE for decking replacing teak

Anyone have any experience with IPE for decking. Im considering replacing my team decks on nauticat 33 with 1/4 x 1 1/4 ipe over non cored fiberglass deck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
If you do use Ipe it should last forever and look nice.
Ipe is more difficult to work with then Teak and a bit heavier per bd/ft. Ipe is so dense that it may not float. The extra weight might be a consideration.
Ipe Lumber- ipe wood's properties, toxicity, hardness etc.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-11-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautisailor View Post
Anyone have any experience with IPE for decking. Im considering replacing my team decks on nauticat 33 with 1/4 x 1 1/4 ipe over non cored fiberglass deck
I have it in my house and it is good. I would not use it on my boat. It is very hard- contractor used a carbide saw to cut. It is also very heavy (because the tree takes up minerals from the ground- also why it is hard to cut) kinda like petrified wood. I do think its weight would change the stability of your boat- I think the wood does sink (I see sg is almost same as water slightly less so it would float just below surface. The other think, the wood can splinter, and if it does, the splinters are very long and very sharp. I have seen decks made from this wood- the walkway over the Brooklyn bidge for example, and the wood does not hold up forever- it will split and crack.

Think twice before you use-

Last edited by casey1999; 08-11-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-11-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
IPE is about double the density and weight of teak (specific gravity .97 vs .55), so you're adding a lot of additional weight to the deck.

I think you'd be better off finding a good teak wholesaler if cost is the issue. Call around. Teak prices can vary widely. If you're around the Chesapeake or Jersey shore PM me and I'll forward the names of some people to call.

Jim

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 08-11-2011

CapTim is on a distinguished road
I know of a few people who have replaced wooden bits with HDPE bits. HDPE is a type of plastic, sold a few different ways by different companies. There are different grades and such, just like with any synthetic material.

In general terms, though, HDPE is quite durable, easy to work with (normal woodworking tools and techniques work overall), quite UV resistant (some HDPE more than others, of course, but it's all superior to canvas or wood) and it doesn't rot or splinter.

It is heavier than most species of wood. It can be purchased in sizes ranging from 1 foot by 1 foot sheets of half inch thick to 4 foot by 8 foot at 4 inches thick. Probably bigger, even.

It's an interesting material, lots of people have used it with success, and is probably worth your time to look into.

Post pictures of your completed project!

--Tim

Edit: Oh, it does float, though just barely. specific gravity is somewhere around .96, I recall, though there are some variations in different builders/grades

Living aboard, currently in the Chesapeake
O'Day 37, still new to us
Old 08-11-2011

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road
As deck builder, (house decks folks) I've built a dozen or so large Ipe projects. It's fantastically strong and durable.

I've never come across splintering after a deck has been laid down, although I have had the occasion of getting sliver handling rough cut pieces. Those bad boys are unlike any other wood sliver. Even the tiniest ones are quite painful, and you can have bad reactions to the resins in the wood.

It's very dense wood, yes it floats just below the surface. The darker cuts from the heart of the tree, (almost black) will fully sink.

Would I use it for grab rails and decorative touches on a sailboat. Yes, absolutely.

As sailboat decking? No. For three reasons. It's too heavy. It can be slippery due to its density. And there's a remote chance of getting a sliver in your foot.

There are other South American species which may be more suitable. I would suggest looking into Garapa. Cheaper and less dense than Ipe. It has a deep golden hue.
Old 08-11-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
I have also gotten splinters from scrap pieces of ipe. The splinters are more like what you would expect when working with steel. The splinters can be very long and thin, most wood like this would break if you tried to stick yourself, not ipe, it is like steel- it will stick you and deep!
Old 08-11-2011

landmineop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to landmineop
A product I have seen on three boats here in south Florida is From TEK-DEK. No more leaking decks, looks good and from the people I've talked to it seems to last. If I had teak deck I think this would be worth looking at. FWIW
Old 08-11-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
As deck builder...

There are other South American species which may be more suitable. I would suggest looking into Garapa. Cheaper and less dense than Ipe. It has a deep golden hue.
Here is a link about Garapa wood: Garapa | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwoods)
Interesting. Garapa has a specific gravity of .66 and therefore should float. The link also states: "Garapa has a medium texture and small open pores. The grain is usually straight, but can also be interlocked."
Another name for Ipe is 'Iron Wood' which supports the aside discussions about very nasty splinters from this wood.
I'd look for some other S. American species as Ninefingers suggests and maybe Garapa is the one.
I once cut a small piece out of a hunk of Ipe I fabricated to be the core of a knee wall supporting our aft stay and the excess dropped into the salty LI Sound and sank! Must have been heart wood as it was dense as he11.
There is always Mahogany.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-12-2011
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
I was a carpenters assistant building decks in the Chesapeake Area and did two jobs using Ipe. Let me tell you that unloading the wood for those jobs was WORK!
I agree with the above~Ipe is too heavy.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.