Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011

Cavi is on a distinguished road
What boat to buy

I used sail when in high school years ago. Anyway I want to start again and teach the wife and kids. I used to own a magnum in brazil, it was like a 15foot laser that fit 4 people.
I also sailed a hobbie 14. Currently I have a bit of a bad back, and want something that will be easy to teach the kids.
I have my eye on 3 boats, a o'spey flying saucer 15 ft, a rebel 15 and a hobie 14. Also there is a Coronado 15 but it is a bit farther away than I wanted to go. The Coronado is about 600 more than the rebel or the saucer. I am a bit worried about going with the hobbie due to my back and I feel it would be a bit too much for the kids, 12 and 15. I am leaning twords the saucer, the price is good and by the looks of the hulll it looks like it would be relatively stable but still low enough to be quite fun.
Ideas please?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2011

bacampbe is on a distinguished road
I can't speak for the rest, but my first boat was a Coronado 15. It's a pretty serious centerboard racing dinghy, usually outfitted with a trapeze. It had a soft chine that makes it pretty tender. We used to joke that it's favorite position was turtled. Many owners put floats on the mastheads, much like you often see on Hobies.

In retrospect, it was a difficult boat for a beginner. If you are concerned about stability, I personally wouldn't pick it.
Old 08-15-2011

Cavi is on a distinguished road
thanks
How about the rebel and the flying saucer?