how can i make the line run starboard. - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 08-16-2011 Thread Starter
Huck

so this is the final decsion going from the top of mast pulleys which is how the sails get raised through those pulleys on the mast that will stay the same. but AS the rope get to the deck level it will go through stand up pulley now should the stand up pulley be a swivel? and then threw a farilead and then to s cam cleat

16' mistral sailboat, And 27' coronado
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 08-16-2011

You don't really need to have a swivel block. There is enough articulation in a regular standup block for your purposes. Just make sure that you position it correctly when you bolt it down.

You could probably forgo the fairlead as well if you use a cam cleat like I pictured. It has it's own fairlead and is mounted on a swivel base.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-16-2011 Thread Starter
Huck

ya i saw that. thats what i was trying to say there's probably no way to get around the cost. because a non swivel pulley is less money that a swivel. and the swivel cam cleat with the fairlead is more money than the non swivel. i think i will do what you said. but whats the orginizer hows it work?

post #14 of 19 Old 08-16-2011
Tartan 27' owner

That was a terrible picture of the Mistral 16' you linked to.
Here is a link with a few photos of the cockpit and mast on a Mistral 16': Mistral 16 sailboat for sale
If your boat is set up anything like the one in my link I'm not really sure why you need to route the lines (halyards - rope in your parlance) back into the cockpit. The mast is right there at the forward end of the cockpit.
A simpler solution might be to add 2 more cleats (horn or cam) to the bottom of your mast so you do not have to double up on the 2 cleats that are there.
By the way SBL, Knothead is a rigger and knows his way around boat hardware/rigging. You are lucky to have his advice. On the other hand, my advice, well...

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-16-2011 Thread Starter
Huck

just for style and look to get all the ropes off the mast and make it look organized and good looking. I don't care how much money i put into this boat i can never sell the boat so i will put much money as i want into the boat for looks becasue i don't care about the resale value i was even thinking of a roller furler

post #16 of 19 Old 08-16-2011
Tartan 27' owner

One reason to not lead the halyards (main, jib, spin and topping lift) back to the cockpit and leave the at the mast is the size of your boat and it's cockpit.
In the cockpit you want to always be working with the sheets (main, jib & spin) when sailing. You don't want to have to figure out if a line is a sheet or a halyard. I'd leave all the halyards on the mast as they obviously raise and lower the sails (or spin pole) which is done much less frequently then adjusting the sheets. If you want to get color coded lines for the jib sheets that makes more sense in my opinion (red for port and green for starboard jib sheet).
For a normal sail without using the spinnaker you raise the halyards (jib and main) and go sailing. At the end of the sail you drop the sails.
For sailing and using the spinnaker you will need to access the spinnaker halyard to raise and drop it as well as the topping lift to adjust the pole. To raise the spinnaker someone needs to be on the foredeck anyway so it might be useful for the person up there to be able to access the halyard and topping lift. Once the spinnaker is launched you usually lower the jib temporarily so it is good to have that halyard accessible by the foredeck person.
I will suggest that if you only added one simple 'horn cleat' to your mast you would be ahead of the game and you would not have to drill any holes in your boat or mess with backing plates.
I owned and sailed a 19' Lightning 1 class racing sailboat that I flew the spinnaker on. It was rigged as I am suggesting. You really do not want the cockpit awash with various lines all getting tangled together. Trust me on this.
You are going to need to buy some longer lines to use as spinnaker sheets for your boat anyway. Save your money for those and by all means get red or red-flecked line for the port sheet and green for the starboard (right).
At a minimum I will suggest that you not undertake re-routing your halyards until you have actually flown the spinnaker. You will understand how confusing it can get with 1 main sheet, 2 jib sheets and 2 spinnaker sheets/guy and topping lift. The last thing you want to have is a confused crew member letting out a halyard instead of a sheet.
Keep the halyards/topping lift on the mast for now. Add 1 more cleat at the bottom or do as Knothead suggested for only 1 cleat and see if you like it or not. Putting more hardware on your deck or in your cockpit will only make it more difficult to get around the mast up to the fore deck.
This is only my opinion but I think it has merit.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 19 Old 08-16-2011

Is this what you are trying to accomplish?

post #18 of 19 Old 08-16-2011 Thread Starter
Huck

ok so i will just add another cleat. And get colored rope for style and to be more shown about what it is.

post #19 of 19 Old 08-16-2011 Thread Starter
Huck

or do as knothead suggested and only do it for the main and jib two most used ropes and put them through a pulley and cam cleat on deck

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.