Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011

Atlbsky is on a distinguished road
Flooded Boat Advice and or opinions needed!

I have been offered a 1972 Tartan 27, free of charge. The deck and hull are sound, however the cabin flooded after a snowstorm several months ago, and the owner has left the cabin sitting in standing water (it appeared to be about 5-6" deep) for several months.

His offer on the boat states that it needed a new engine, and based on articles that I have read, the original Atomic four should be replaced with a water cooled Diesel anyway, so I'm not worried about the condition of the engine.

It's everything else that I'm wondering about. I realize that this is going to take a great deal of restoration. So I guess my question is this, even as a free boat, am I looking at an enormous amount of cost to bring the cabin back to life?

I really would appreciate any/all feedback. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I'd hate to see another Tartan 27' sent to the dumpster. Will they give you a few grand to help with a new engine and other repairs? I didn't think so.
I've seen other T27s in working order sell for around $4K or less even.
The cost to fix up the cabin is going to depend a lot on how 'nice' you want to make it and how badly damaged the cabin is now. Hard to say without a picture.
BTW, a rebuilt Atomic 4 from Moyer would likely be much cheaper then a new diesel.
Good luck.
Atlbsky likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
best of luck,

and unless you are up for a challenge, a lot of work, and can do it ALL yourself...

In this market, you would be better to find a non flooded boat.
Old 08-17-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
If it was salt water, ALL of the wiring will need to be replaced. After that amount of time I would suspect that the bulkheads are saturated/delaminated/rotten? At a minimum this would be a very big job and, like Caleb says, probably depends on how nice you want it, but I would also be concerned with the integrity of the bulkheads and chainplates.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 08-17-2011

Atlbsky is on a distinguished road
The one saving grace is that it is fresh water - but I am worried about any water left standing that long. I know I would be looking at basically rebuilding the interior. John thanks for your note - I need to check the chainplates.
Old 08-17-2011

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
It would have to be ReAlLy far gone for me to not take a free 27foot boat. If I wasn't falling through the deck, and If all the rigging and sails were in reasonable condition, I'd grab that thing faster then my wife grabs my paycheque. Bulkheads can be fabbed and tabbed pretty quick if all you want to do is get her on the water. If I had a quarter for every boat I've seen that's Bristol on the outside and crap on the inside, I'd be halfway to my next boat.

--- OTOH ---

If you want to use this boat as more than just a daysailer, then interior condition should carry a little more weight. Ugly plywood will do just fine for jamming in as a bulkhead, but longevity will suffer along with livability. If you won't be doing the work yourself, then this thing will cost you loads of cash that would be better spent on a boat that's ready to go.

Sounds like a fun project..... please keep us informed.
Atlbsky likes this.
Old 08-17-2011

overbored is on a distinguished road
interior work is one of the most difficult. what is the rest of the boat like. if you spend time and money in the interior will that be all it needs? I would think not. what else will it need. how old is the rigging. by the time you can sail it you will have double the money of what you could buy a good usable boat for. unless you are just looking for a big project then pass. Even a boat in very good shape will require a lot of time and work so unless you have nothing but time on your hands.
Old 08-17-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
I would think it depends on your version of nice BUT in general after doing a pretty big refit it will NOT work out well from a money standpoint never mind the 1.5 years of labor AND i had TWO GOOD A4s to work with

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 08-17-2011

Mark1948 is on a distinguished road
5-6 inches, may not be a bid deal. Get inside and assess the actual condition of the wood- It may be salvagable.
Old 08-17-2011

wonk is on a distinguished road
Take it.

My boat was flooded in the same way before I bought it. I replaced both structural bulkheads in two days (one to rip out the old ones, grind off the old tabs, prep the hull, and cut and varnish the new ones, and another day to actually install them). I left the rest of the boat as it was... The wood-cored-fiberglass sole is a bit soft in one area, but not a problem and I'll probably replace it with wood at some point... The other woodwork dried out fine, you can see a waterline on it, but only if you're looking for it...

As far as the engine, I'd just salvage the A4- Pull it out, strip it down, replace what needs replacing, and drop it back in. As long as the block is solid, you can probably have it running great for less than 1k. I know there's a lot of A4 hate out there, but I have no complaints with mine. Starts every time and runs like it should. Any problem with it is pretty easy to fix. Lot of great small diesels out there too, but then you're gonna have to mess around with mounts, alignment, new tank, new prop, etc... You could also just stick a transom mount on the thing and get a cheap 10hp outboard... It's a sailboat after all... Who cares about the motor...
Atlbsky likes this.