Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Homebuilt trailerable Cruising sailboat

Having built several boats and cruised my 28' S2, I am now looking for a new project such as a homebuilt trailerable cruising sailboat. Of course, she'd be somewhat spartan in order to be trailerable and would probably have water ballast if she was not a trimaran. Unfortunately, Tris seem to have very little living space. I've considered Michelak's Cormorant but am not sure she'd be enough to cruise the Bahamas.
Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2011

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Turns out that a guy named "Garth Battista" did build a Cormorant and sailed her to the Bahamas all the way to Georgetown and Back to FL. Very interesting. Anybody know how to contact him? I'd be very interested in how he'd modify Cormorant for such trips.
He took his wife and two small kids in 2010. Looked like a great trip.
Old 08-21-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
What size and type are you considering? I like Atkins designs. old but nice selection. Wooden boat of course has many plans..theres the, herreshof collection, mystic's collection. so many choices it's bewildering. Personally I've always wanted to build a 27ft new haven sharpie but Know It will never happen LOL

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-22-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Bateau.com has plans for a boat called a Vagabond 26 that would be worth a look. Click Sailboats on their home page.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Old 08-22-2011

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
Welsford penguin

make one of these

splendid

John Welsford Designs

Dylan

Old 08-22-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Build Your Own Boat
Wooden Boat Kits Sailboat Kits Sail Boat Kits - Shell Boats
Devlin Designing Boat Builders
Clark Craft Boat Plans Kits Boatbuilding Supplies
Chesapeake Light Craft | Boat Plans, Boat Kits, Boatbuilding Supplies, Boat Kit, Kayak Kit, Canoe Kit, Sailboat Kit

There is 5 links with trailerable cruising sailboats, now how CRUISABLE vs trailerable they are, is up to you! I can think of two other places that I do not have link for, names are also escaping me, so when I remember, I'll post.

None need water ballast, most can be done with typical lead/iron ballast. My step dad back in the 70's built the Glen-L 21CB. At one time there was a fin keel plan version. We towed that that with a half ton IHC travelall with a 230CI I6. Probably made all of 130hp IIRC. 3-4000 lbs including trailer.

Marty
Old 08-22-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
While these are trimarans they are really neat and trailer-able. My buddy has one that he bought and it is a blast to sail and is fast as a mother. according to him by building your own you save about 1/3 and it does take quite a bit of time. I personally would be a little leery of the tolerances involved as it is pretty high tech. He has the model with the larger cockpit, but there is a model that sacrifices cockpit for cabin... have fun and good luck! he has the f-24

Trimaran and Catamaran Designs By Farrier Marine, Inc.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 08-22-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
A nice sharpie would be a great boat, i had an open 19' ft with a sprit rig and cotton sail....man was she nice and sailed great....but what alot of work. Maybe you could buy a basket case GRP boat(cheap-free) a refit it. I would think when finished it would be less maintenance when cruising. A pearson trition is trailerable.

If building a boat is your dream...forget about everthing I recommend and build a sharpie! I don't see very many of them around and miss the one I had!