Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011

DubeJ is on a distinguished road
Over my hot hot hot horizon

Well,

Life did not really work out the way I hoped for. I was in active duty service, going to retire in 8 more years as a Major (was enlisted for 7 good years and an officer for 5) and then sail around the world at a young 42 years old. Well, due to our awesome economy, the military has created a $220 billion budget cut. Although I understand and agree, I was forced out. Well, by I, I mean all officers which were prior enlisted were let go this year. I am now a civilian. Yeah, I will do reserves, only 8 years to retirement, but I will not see the retirement until age 60. So now my whole life, plans, family situation, and everything has changed. There are options, but for now I am working in sales. Not sure if it is my cup of tea. I went from a Company Commander with over 120 troops, to just me. It stinks.
Well enough venting. I will be still working on my sailing vision and dream. I am saing now for my boat, to sail around the world. It will happen, maybe take a few more years than I planned, but it will happen.
So, at this point, does anyone have pointers for me? I read these forums a lot. Where do i start for selecting a ship? Should i just get a little 22ft to sail around the local lake or when I get the occasional trip out to sea, to hone my skills?
Words of encouragement are fully accepted…

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2011
High Desert Guy

Ziaduck is on a distinguished road
Stick to it and always keep your dream in focus.

Post an ad on the bulletin boards at local marinas offering/asking to help crew on other peoples' boats.
Old 08-22-2011
Working for next Boat

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road
first, Thank you for your Service to the Country
Look for a full time reserve slot, hoping this will help you in your sailing funds, yes get a 22-25 footer and sail all you can, and get on others boats as crew.

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 08-22-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
or smaller than a 22 footer. anything to get you out on the water is a good way to start. smaller boats equal smaller problems so you will have more money later on to buy the boat you sail around the world on.
Old 08-22-2011

windswept too is on a distinguished road
J, yes is the answer to your question, and the high desert guy offers good advice.

With respect to what category of vessel you should be considering, I was thinking of pocket cruisers, but they demand, at the least, an intermediate level of sailing experience and are capable of sailing anywhere a larger vessel will. But not at the same level of comfort.

If you could find a nice early 21' Venture, you can easily learn all of the basics of sailing, and then some. Not have a ton of money invested, and when it comes time so sell pretty much recover the initial investment. They are good lake sailers, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'out to sea.' Up or down the coast aways for a Sunday afternoon sail...yes.

The one nice thing about this economy is that it's a good time to buy good stocks, with the mindset to hold on to them for a while. Equally, there are many really nice sailboats of every description waiting to bought at very decent prices, and I think this will be the case for the next 24 months or so, so there isn't a lot of pressure to purchase right away.

I'm a minimalist, and own an S&S designed, Yankee Dolphin, built by Yankee Yachts in 1971. It's 24' long, and the quarters are tight, and it has everything I need for lake, and coastal cruising. She's presently in the process of a complete refit, and looking forward to an early 2012 launch.

A Dolphin finished 2nd overall in I believe the 89' Transpac, first in class. You can expect to find Dolphins in average condition, with decent sail arrangements ranging from 4500 to 14000. But, under no circumstance should you purchase a 40 year old vessel without having first researched the vessel, and then having a thorough survey performed.

Thanks for your service. And my word of encouragement is that we can be happy it isn't the middle to late 80's when mortgage rates ran as high as 18%. Or the early 70's when we could only buy gas three times a week, and that meant waiting in line for up to three hours.
Old 08-22-2011

HPLou is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HPLou
J, first off, thanks for your service for our country. We all appreciate the time you guys put in to keep our country safe.

As for a boat, get one that appeals to you. Big enough to serve your needs and carry any additional items you may require, ie, cooler, etc. Sail as often as you can. Check out any local sailing clubs for opportunities to crew on other boats to improve your skills as well as to learn about other boats.

When the time comes for the blue water boat purchase, you will have a better idea of what you want in a boat. Good luck and enjoy the journey.
Old 08-22-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
Congrats on your new lease on life (hey, it's better than the hum-drum, "sorry", etc. etc.).
As you know, attitude is 90% of opportunity! Anyway, back to the real subject, and that's your new-boat-shopping experience that you get to go through!! (can you tell I'm an optimist?). Don't make such a finite list that you're forever searching and never sailing, but put some things to paper that are a must, plus things that are a "plus", and finally things that "would be nice, but". Make sure you involve any applicable Admirals & crew (wife & kids if there are any), and set out finding the first leg in your journey. And that's what a first boat; the first leg of a lifetime journey. Remember, like you've said, it's not an "if you sail the world", but a "WHEN you sail the world". All the rest is just time and preparedness!
Good luck and keep following the dream. Oh, and welcome to the club, btw. Remembering, of course, that pics are a requirement for any new purchase.
Old 08-22-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Dumb move sticken it to the retreads J (IMO the most valueable members )sorry to hear it ..

Maybe this will help I left the suck in 79 last MOS Computer analyst , 3 letters of recommendation's from ex CO's to go to JPL in Passidena Ca. for the Voyager projects + Jpl said shure , I get out , get there and all the sudden I am overqualifyed!?!...."Thay" get you from both ends lol .

25 years later the world catchs up and it all good , try to place your self in Security of any kind esp Computer Security you can't go wrong

Can't help with boat advice as I am "in the same boat as you" looking now for a boat but my frist purchase will be my last ( I am not going to do this twice) so 30'-36' for me.

Good luck J
Old 08-22-2011

VetMike is on a distinguished road
I feel for your, brother. Fortunately I was able to get my twenty so I have some money coming in. If you have just eight years left to get your twenty year letter, do anything and everything to get eight more good years. It may take some doing but it is worth it. Look for a unit, volunteer for assignments (talk with your branch guy) and try to do course work. I worked with a guy in Hungary that needed one more year to get his letter so he volunteered to go to Hungary. It took him twenty five years but he got his letter. As for the boat, I had a McGregor 26 that worked well for learning to sail. It is big enough to overnight on and to teach you what to do but inexpensive enough you almost don't mind dinging it a little.
Best of luck to you.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.