Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Sunday Drivers!!!! Am I wrong????

Went out on the harbor today...well it was the WORST day so far with the boat. The boat was awesome, and it was fun, BUT the boaters were truly horrible. First off if anyone has ever been in the Newport Beach harbor its full of stand up boarders and electric duffy boats, as well as fishing boats, powerboats, yachts and party boats. I was under power and observing the 5 knot speed limit and I was coming down the channel. My vision was obscured by moored boats....out of nowhere comes a harbor 20 that simply yells "I am under sail"...He was doing probably 10 knots...and came around the corner...I had to put in in reverse quick, turn the boat to avoid collision, then he simply turned into MY PATH and again I had to go full reverse not to hit him...Yes I know sailboats under sail have the right of way, but that doesn't mean you have to simply ignore everyone else and sail in a crazy manner right? I was taught ( and am always learning) that you have the right of way, but always watch other boats and if they can't see you take appropriate actions to be safe and courteous. Then there were the Duffy boats that were actually sightseeing. Captain pulls in front of m without looking and just stops in the channel in front of me, and then pulls out a map??? Again I had to maneuver to avoid collision...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2011

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road
No a boat under sail is the Stand on Vessel, that means they have to maintain coarse and speed, they do not have the right of way.

The Fact of the matter is , more and more boaters do not know the rules of the water, for that mater they don't know the rules of the road ether(MLTHO). People like the ones you described are out for them selfs, safety be damed.
jackdale likes this.

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

"Ouch!
My eyes are bleeding."
Bob Perry

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 08-22-2011

HPLou is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HPLou
A sailboat is the Stand on Vessel, however, in a channel, they are not to change course so as to cause a crossing situation with other vessels.

Unfortunately, many boaters forget or ignore the rules they learn when taking a safe boating course.
Old 08-22-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
I never had "road rage" until I started boating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-22-2011
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
People often misunderstand (sometimes willfully) the col regs. They tend to remember a few very basic principles, but oversimplify them and end up with an incorrectly abbreviated understanding of the rules - such as "sailboats have the right of way," which is not quite correct.

As between a boat under power and a boat under sail, the boat under sail is the stand-on vessel and the boat under power is the give-way vessel. This does not mean the sailboat has "right of way" or can just do whatever it wants and the powerboat has to get out of its way. The duty of the stand-on vessel is to maintain course - heading and speed. The duty of the give-way vessel is to alter course to avoid collision. If the stand-on vessel starts making course changes, that screws everything up, because now the give-way vessel won't know which way to go to avoid collision.

And ultimately, regardless of who is the stand-on vessel, ALL have a general duty to avoid collisions. So it could still be the idiot's fault if there is a collision, even if he is the stand-on vessel, if he starts changing his course all over the place instead of maintaining his heading and speed.
jackdale likes this.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 08-22-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
First off if anyone has ever been in the Newport Beach harbor its full of stand up boarders and electric duffy boats, as well as fishing boats, powerboats, yachts and party boats.
Marina del Rey is the same way. We have the party boats, water taxis, jet skis, and regular traffic to deal with. THEN there are the kayakers and rental powerboats who do NOT look where they're going.....EVER. The newest development I've noticed is these stupid stand-up boarders ( I call them Wake Rats). They're EVERYWHERE, crawling around at 0 knots cluttering the fairway. I will say that if you glide up within about 10 feet from them and blast the air horn, it's pretty funny. Not that I would know personally, of course. I much prefer sailing on weekdays when I can manage it in my work schedule.

Mike
Old 08-22-2011

RatHatDiver is on a distinguished road
The Wife and my self sailed mission bay this weekend in a little cal22. Light winds and busy as usual. My sailing strategy is the same as when I ride my HD. I'm friggen invisible to everyone. Funny story. Last weekend in SanDiego harbor we were just cruising around and this 100' plus mega yacht was bearing down on us from astern. My Wife said this guy is going to ram us. I said relax women. He has to see us and will take a wide berth when he over takes us. BS, that ass-hat was 25 yards off our port clipping along about 20 plus knots. I just turned 45deg into his wake and rode up down his 5' high wake. My Wife lost it. In almost 10 years of marriage I never saw her flip anyone off. That guy got both of her birds and a sailors potty mouth from her. Did they here her. Hell no, but I was laughing my ass off.
jholder likes this.
Old 08-22-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Shakes head and grumbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
I was under power and observing the 5 knot speed limit and I was coming down the channel. My vision was obscured by moored boats....out of nowhere comes a harbor 20 that simply yells "I am under sail"...He was doing probably 10 knots...and came around the corner...I had to put in in reverse quick, turn the boat to avoid collision, then he simply turned into MY PATH and again I had to go full reverse not to hit him...

Then there were the Duffy boats that were actually sightseeing. Captain pulls in front of m without looking and just stops in the channel in front of me, and then pulls out a map??? Again I had to maneuver to avoid collision...
First of all, you were navigating a channel with a 5 mph/knot speed limit and the Harbor 20' thinks he can just zip through there with impunity harassing anyone under power? If you had collided with him I'd expect most of the blame to be put on the Harbor 20' skipper. You were very courteous and he wasn't in the least and should not be speeding around in a mooring field (common sense).
I don't know what a Duffy boat is but again, hello? Stopping in a navigation channel to read a chart? Not smart.
I like the idea of keeping your air horn handy for when you are in the channel and you should give these Bozos 5 blasts on your horn at close range.
You did the right thing by avoiding those ass-hatz.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-22-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"Captain pulls in front of m without looking and just stops in the channel in front of me, and then pulls out a map??? "

USCG are always happy to respond and issue a citation to any vessel that is obstructing a marked channel. Give 'em a call on the radio, help fund their budget. The man with the map will think twice before he does it again.
Old 08-23-2011

OtterGreen is on a distinguished road
last saturday the yacht club was having some laser sunfish race and with heavy weather rolling in i decided to wait until the coast was clear and cross the channel to get home a little faster. i was safe and waiting until it was clear in front of me and had room to dip through so i wouldnt cause harm to anyone as people were rather spread out. that didnt stop the chase boat from hunting me down and yelling they were having a race and i should know better. well, they race about 3/4 of a mile and across a channel. i made it clear i waited until the coast was clear and with lightning about they probably shouldnt be racing anyway. he said i have your name and number and said he was going to report me for recklessness.