Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
Maybe you should keelhaul her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormeum View Post
Today:

I'm at work and I get a call from the Waukegan Harbormaster asking if I've given permission for anyone to take our boat out.

Me: Noooo.

Them: well there's a woman who is on your boat and it's pinned up against the end of E- dock (our slip is on D-dock)

So I make the land speed record getting up to waukegan harbor, meanwhile the harbormaster has called the Waukegan Police and they're all waiting at the end of E- dock

There a 60 y.o. or so woman sitting on our boat wearing a Chicago Sailing School polo, with the jib and mizzen sort of up. Fortunately, the wind today is about 3 kts so there was not too much opportunity for damage, however the woman had tossed some moorrage pieces off the dock onto the deck so I have some minor fiberglass repairs to the deck to do. Also good that CSS didn't actually teach her to sail

Seems that she walked down to the end of the pier, untied the boat and walked it out. She then (partly)put up the mizzen and unrolled the jib.

She then realized that she didnt know how to sail- she bumped off the breakwall a couple of times and the wind then slid our boat against the end of E dock. End of the ride.

She was still sitting on the deck when I got there. She had pulled the hinge pins off the center hatch but couldn't open it as it's dogged all the way 'round.

I walk up and say to her: Congratulations! You just tried to steal a $300,000 boat. You're going to jail!" and the Waukegan cops took her away.

Highest commendations to the Waukegan harbor maintenance crew ( they used the maintenance barge to get us off the pier and back into our slip) also the harbor crew who noticed her trying to get out of the harbor.
It seems that one of the harbor staff asked what the hell she was doing and she said that this was her husband's boat and his name was Mike. The harbor folks (who know us) knew that wasn't true and called me and the cops.

Truth be told, I think the woman is insane, but I rate today as a "10" on the wierdness scale; after all how could you fence a "one-off" boat?

At least it didn't become the worst day of your life.

Did she have lots of cats with her? She has got to be one of those cat ladies. Luckily she hadn't had the time yet to stow away a few litter boxes. You did check, didn't you?

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 08-23-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
She was looking for payment for alimony in arrears, just confused Waukeegan with Kenosha.
Old 08-23-2011

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Sounds like she didn't "almost" steal your boat or "try" to steal your boat. She stole your boat. She'd effectively stolen the boat when she exited your slip with it.

Who knows if your DA will prosecute, but if you "almost" rob a bank, but don't get out of the parking lot with the loot, you'll do time for robbing the bank.

Whether she's crazy is another matter, but the boat was stolen IMO (I'm not an attorney, but I've watched a lot of Law and Order).
Old 08-23-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormeum View Post
Nice, but she really should do it ON HER OWN BOAT- dont you think?
She should, but she does not think logically, lets just give her a little credit for at least wanting to be a yacht woman.

A few months ago I was anchored at Waimea bay about 400 feet out and there were a group of guys swimming around my boat (I had left the boat unoccupied but completely open- hatches, companionway). This group then started to climb the anchor chain trying to get on the boat. I am sure they were just playing around, but had to get the life guard to go on mega phone to ask them to leave the boat alone. Anyone have an experience like that?
Old 08-23-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Yup. At das boot last Friday, noticed some strange sunglasses sitting in the cockpit. I then noted that he/she took them off so that they could get underneath my Magma BBQ and relieve me of my propane canister. Good trade.

Pisses me off!!!! They're not even polarized!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl762 View Post
Yup. At das boot last Friday, noticed some strange sunglasses sitting in the cockpit. I then noted that he/she took them off so that they could get underneath my Magma BBQ and relieve me of my propane canister. Good trade.

Pisses me off!!!! They're not even polarized!!!!!!
Put a note on the noticeboard, saying you found some sunglasses outside the restrooms. See if anyone tries to claim them.
Old 08-23-2011
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Sounds like she didn't "almost" steal your boat or "try" to steal your boat. She stole your boat. She'd effectively stolen the boat when she exited your slip with it.

Who knows if your DA will prosecute, but if you "almost" rob a bank, but don't get out of the parking lot with the loot, you'll do time for robbing the bank.

Whether she's crazy is another matter, but the boat was stolen IMO (I'm not an attorney, but I've watched a lot of Law and Order).
True. Stolen but didn't get away. I'm not a criminal lawyer either.
Old 08-23-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Put a note on the noticeboard, saying you found some sunglasses outside the restrooms. See if anyone tries to claim them.
Good. Either that or wear em around and see if anybody says "hey, you found my sunglasses." I like your idea better.
Old 08-23-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
She sounds like she's got a problem, maybe early onset Alzheimer's, and may need to be institutionalized if she didn't wander off from someone.

Sounds like your harbormaster earned himself a nice bottle of single malt.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.