Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011

Undadar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherBowman View Post
I hates me a thief.
I'm with you Captain. Next in line are the people telling me that I have worked too hard and must give some of what I have to those that won't work for it themselves!

JdFinley.com | Sailing, development, and life with JD
messer999 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherBowman View Post
I hates me a thief. I've been robbed significantly like five times and lost of $20,000 worth of tools over a six year period. If I ever catch someone red-handed, I'm probably going to jail.
I hate a thief as much as you do. Just don't let the thief rob you twice- once your stuff and second your life (of jail). Cannot do much sailing from jail.
Old 08-24-2011

timangiel is on a distinguished road
Keep us updated

I found this story to be quite facinating. I hope the original poster lets us know what happens, if the lady turns out to be crazy, gets locked up, let go or what ever.
Old 08-24-2011

landmineop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to landmineop
"She slipped and fell and hurt herself, Your Honor."
Old 08-25-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Thats a crazy story and reminds me of when I got "the call". Not sure if anyone here remembers my old thread from over 18 months ago. I had my first sailboat and new to me Cal 25 tied up in a public harbor, left it only for one day and it was found over 8 miles out in Lake Ponchartrain against the Causeway Bridge. At the time, it was believed someone had just took off the mooring lines as it appeared no one was onboard it. After reading this thread, makes me wonder if my incident was also attempted theft. Maybe they tried to steal my boat and quickly realized they had no idea how to sail, jumped off and just let it drift away and aquire a few thousand dollars in damage. I aways found it hard to believe that the boat just drifted itself out the harbor and somehow found its way out in the lake. My boat now, she stays in the marina and I have several people that know me and know that if anyone is ever on my boat and I am not their, call me asap. Always important to look after each others boats, not only for theft reasons but other problems too. For example, a boat could be rapidly taking on water and owner not knowing unless someone contacts him.
Old 08-25-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
Why would a 60 y.o woman try to steal a boat? Weird with a capital W!!!!
LandLocked - you must be a young one. My wife is a very youthful 60 and we just got back from 850 nautical miles and five weeks on our 34 Irwin. Linda would LOVE a $300,000.00 boat! (and so would I) But - never would steal one!

Think of the room, think of the possibilities!

Rik
Old 08-25-2011
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
I am an attorney and I sure as hell would argue that she did steal the boat. She didn't just "attempt" to steal it.

She purposely walked aboard, cast off the lines and took it out of the slip, quite clearly, based on the circumstances, with the intent to sail it away. I certainly would argue that all the required elements of grand larceny were met. The fact that she got only a few dozen yards away with it and you got it back quickly doesn't make it any less a theft than if she had managed to get a few dozen miles away. The only difference is she got caught immediately after committing the theft.

If you take something off a store shelf with the intent of leaving without paying for it and trip on the doorsill on your way out and fall flat on your face, dropping the item, you've still shoplifted.

I also hates me some thieves.

Of course, in my case, someone would have to be pretty hard up to want to steal my worn old 1968 Pearson. Doesn't mean I'd let them have it easy, though. I'd "let them have it" in an entirely different manner.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 08-25-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I also hates me some thieves.

Of course, in my case, someone would have to be pretty hard up to want to steal my worn old 1968 Pearson. Doesn't mean I'd let them have it easy, though. I'd "let them have it" in an entirely different manner.
"let them have it." I think I like the way you think.

I hates me some thieves.

OP, any updates?
Old 08-25-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Its not like the first thing the OP said was she clearly had mental issues or anything

I can only hope none of you have to deal with a family member with a mental problem or perhaps i should hope you get a taste of it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-25-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by landmineop View Post
"She slipped and fell and hurt herself, Your Honor."
So you're advocating beating up 60 year old women for attempted theft are you? Just think about what you're saying.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.