Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Just in from Tundra Down sitting on its mooring. As I was rowing back to the dock the hm pulled up to tell me they were removing the bridges to the dinghy docks in 30 minutes. Timing is everything. I added my hd storm mooring gear and removed the jenny that was hanging in its bag on the bow. I tightened everything and wrapped things securely, I think! A couple of squalls hit while I was working on deck. The rain was like little warm bullets. It wasn't really unpleasant. Gentle swells rolled in from the mouth of Seal Harbor. The wind was coming over Day Mountain to the ne. No waves only swells. The mooring lines were comfortable. We will see what this evening brings. Only 7 sailboats left in SH. Everyone else headed for Northeast Harbor. About the same number of lobster boats and skiffs. The yacht club has all its floats on moorings. Their (our) biggest one, a double with sailboat cradles is on a mooring due east of me about 100 yards away. Friday we secured our Marshal Catboat on its mooring in southern Maine. All the canoes are safe, too. Boats! I love em! Fingers crossed!

Down
Down,

Saw your boat yesterday and she looked good. Radar pole looks fine BTW! We're riding it out on-board, and we're just around the corner, in Northeast Harbor. Peak wind gust we've recorded thus far is 23.9, smooth as glass in here right now.... Hearing some now that may break 25 knots but I don't expect much more than 40 knots steady..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2011

graysoc is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know anything about the Leeward Marina in Newport News? My boat is there, but I'm not. The phones are going straight to voicemail, and I'm sure they are busy.

Thanks for the info!

Grayson
Old 08-28-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysoc View Post
Does anyone know anything about the Leeward Marina in Newport News? My boat is there, but I'm not. The phones are going straight to voicemail, and I'm sure they are busy.

Thanks for the info!

Grayson
I cant comment on your marina specifically, but here in Little Creek area all looked ok. Our boat did just fine at Little Creek. I saw some minor canvas damage to some. Overall I would say we faired well. Since you're right up the river I would say you have a good chance of being ok
Old 08-28-2011

brncman is on a distinguished road
Question River Dunes Marina NC?

Does anyone here have a report from River Dunes near Oriental NC? From the local web site (towndock.net) it looks like Oriental got hit pretty badly, but there is no news on River Dunes and the RD web site has nothing posted since Irene was approaching, except that they had taken in 56 boats moved over from the marinas in Oriental.
Old 08-28-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Just got back from my yacht club here in Glen Cove, NY and my boat is fine. Irene made landfall about 15 miles west of here, but was barely a Cat 1 by then. Winds we saw in the harbor were barely above 40 knts and the direction was east then south as the storm progressed which is good for us for protection as we are exposed to the northwest. One boat in our fleet did break loose and is now on the sand near the breakwater, but that's it. Water at high tide this morning made it up to the club's deck, but nothing made it inside. All in all, much better than I was expecting.
Old 08-28-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I'm glad to hear that the Hempstead Harbor Club survived and the club house is still dry. It sounds like the water did get pretty high though. I'll bet that SCYC's basement got a bit wet and that the Brewer's in Mosquito Creek was pretty tenuous at the height of the surge.
Our boat also survived the surge up at Nyack.
Threats were made but a bullet was dodged.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2011

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Happily came through just fine in Manhasset Bay. The guys at the marina said it came very close to overtopping the bulkhead and flooding the parking lot. Even though the eye (or what was left of it) was only supposed to be 6 or 8 miles away, it seemed to me as though we didn't get anything above gusts in the 50s. Fortunately, the full canvas enclosure on the power boat next to me survived just fine.
Old 08-28-2011

landmineop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to landmineop
Glad you came thru ok.
Old 08-28-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Seal Harbor is windy tonight. Tundra down is the quietest boat out there. Mr. Perry's hull behaves well in a sea. I hope my gear does the same. There is a 36' Cape Dory with a roller head sail coming undone. The noise from its flapping is audible all around the harbor. It is moored about 50 yards upwind of me and is sailing a little doing much more veering and pitching than anything else out there. The sail's triangle exposed was about 5' at the leading edge and flapping hard like a flag. It was almost dark when we left and I couldn't see any lines whipping with its motion. There is no easy way to get to a dinghy with the dock bridges dropped. I didn't try. I don't know how you could secure the loose clew since it is half way up the sail.

Fingers still crossed.

Down
Old 08-28-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
A friend of mine sent this link to a sailboat rescue in Winthrop;

Tags
hurricane , hurricane irene , irene , preparedness , safety