Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011

leogallant is on a distinguished road
Thankfully, we here in Charleston suffered no damaging conditions! I feel bad for our neighbors to the north! If you were in NC or north, check in and let us know how you're doing, conditions, and how your vessel fared.

God bless!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve's Ubiquitous Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Other than a tattered looking clew on one boat, the Seal Harbor, ME boats look quiet and a bit lonely since most of their brethren went elsewhere for the blow. It looks like a beautiful day!

Down
Old 08-29-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Maine,

Saw you sitting there in NEH peacefully yesterday. It looks like your choice of places to sit this one out was right!

Down
Old 08-29-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Seal Harbor is windy tonight. Tundra down is the quietest boat out there. Mr. Perry's hull behaves well in a sea. I hope my gear does the same. There is a 36' Cape Dory with a roller head sail coming undone. The noise from its flapping is audible all around the harbor. It is moored about 50 yards upwind of me and is sailing a little doing much more veering and pitching than anything else out there. The sail's triangle exposed was about 5' at the leading edge and flapping hard like a flag. It was almost dark when we left and I couldn't see any lines whipping with its motion. There is no easy way to get to a dinghy with the dock bridges dropped. I didn't try. I don't know how you could secure the loose clew since it is half way up the sail.

Fingers still crossed.

Down
With the all the warning we had on this one, I am puzzled by owners that didn't strip off their headsails. Not only are they risking an expensive piece of gear, they are endangering their neighbors.
Old 08-29-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
We hauled out and stripped everything off the outside of the boat. Irene made landfall 18 miles south of us. Other than a little water in one of the dorades that was nice enough to drip directly into the galley sink we came through fine.

Only minor damage to our marina (up Forked River) and torn canvas on some of the power boats.

I'll try and get down Tuesday afternoon to re-launch and put everything back on.

We dodged a bullet with both the house and the boat. I'm just amazed at some of the flood damage around us and up into New England.

Jim

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 08-29-2011

landmineop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to landmineop
It happens in every 'cane. People refuse to evacuate, go swimming,ride out 'canes on board, go out to watch the storm, get on board and try to move their boats to a better spot when it's way too late etc. This always happens. People always think, "I'm going to be smart, it's the others that are being foolish". It never ceases to amaze me.
Old 08-29-2011

ChuckA is on a distinguished road
Heart of Gold rode out the storm on her mooring in the Barrington River which is well protected. Most of the boats in the Barrington River were well prepared with sails and canvas removed. I didn't see any boats damaged in the River. We were lucky and dodged a bullet.

Here is the wind history from nearby Conimicuit light in upper Narragansett Bay. 50 Knots sustained for almost 4 hours with gusts to 70+ knots.

hurricane Irene wind data Conimicut Light Narragansett Bay Aug 27-28 2011 by chuckanastasia, on Flickr

Still have no power at home. Many downed trees and wires around the neighborhood. We are it will be expecting several days before power is restored throughout RI.

Twitter: @CoastalCafe_NE

Last edited by ChuckA; 08-29-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: added more wind data
Old 08-29-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Fostering A Home | Slideshow (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

Above, a man with a plan. Note their are 13 slides to scan through.
Old 08-29-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Fostering A Home | Slideshow (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

Above, a man with a plan. Note their are 13 slides to scan through.
Uhh, "a Man with a Plan" - NOT!

The key to sailing a boat without an engine, is thinking ahead... WAY ahead...

To be scrambling around Annapolis at the last minute as a hurricane is bearing down upon you, that's not the sort of guy who should be going engineless... Dude needs to have his head examined, if he really intended to ride out the passage of a hurricane in one of the outer slips at Horn Point Marina...
Old 08-29-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Plan A worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
My Plan A is to stay in Montauk if Irene makes landfall near Manhattan. That looks to be the case. (Plan B is a mooring off Greak Neck, Plan C is haul-out at Glen Cove. Both of those places look to be under the eye soon.) ...
We went with option A, to stay away from the projected path. Boat is fine. Our house 100 miles to the west is in a town with trees down all over and we have to duck under police tape to get to our house. There's a wire down in front of our neighbor's house.

A friend and I spent hours prepping the boat on Saturday. Here's a shot of the boat with all canvas down below. (Yes, I left the life raft in place. The canvas is on so tight, it will rip if I take it off.)

The boat was already up in the south corner of the lake, with little fetch to the SE, S and SW. We put 6 anchors off the bow rollers, like a Bahama mooring. Water is 10 feet deep, with the roller 5 feet off the water.

145' 1/2" chain, 44 pound CQR (to SW), snubbered pretty short with 7/8 line
150' 3/4" line, Danforth 90 H (to SE)
150' 5/8"? line, 2 x 100 pound Chinese, Danforth-copies (in tandem) (to South)
150' 7/8" line, 44 pound Bruce (to East)
300' 1/2" line, 30 pound Bruce (to NW, normal direction of fetch)

The 90H and Chain-CQR were already set as the only anchors, so I wasn't worried about having such a small anchor "up fetch". If it dragged, she'd be on the usual anchors.

Here's a shot of the anchors, Note the chafing gear around the lines and the angles off the bow.

And here's the final measure, to keep the lines inside the roller frame. This is the Anti-Anchorline-Jumping-Off-The-Roller-As-Depicted-In-Mainsail's-Videos technique. With such little fetch, this was probably overkill, but the hurricane could have swerved over us, right?

Lastly, here's a shot of the prep team. David (on the left) sailed his Catalina 38 to the USVI and back, a couple years ago. He's been chartering it all summer, see sailing montauk. David was a great help, with his ton of experience and eloquent words of wisdom. His boat got hit by lightning (150 feet from ours) only a week ago. She's totaled, at least he has insurance. If anyone knows of an inspected sailing vessel for a good price, let me know.

Note what sure else we could have done. If anyone has some suggestions, let me know.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 09-21-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Tags
hurricane , hurricane irene , irene , preparedness , safety