The track shows that P-town will experience 70-100kt winds.
I think that if I were you, I would plan to miss the wedding...
Wedding's going to have to go forward without me. Big dilemma today -- do I run for my winter storage yard in Narragansett Bay to be hauled or to I stay put, hunker down and build redundancy in the mooring? Maine was quickly crossed off the list as Irene is headed there after it strikes here.
Moving south to the RI yard has it's + & -'s: Obviously, it's better to be ashore than floating, but I have no crew available so I'd have to do the 80 plus miles (15-18 hrs) solo beating into 20 +/- knots with the seas building in the last 20 nm to 6 + feet. And then the exhausted skipper and boat arrive at a yard that indicated they are 'very busy', but would 'fit me in', but also said, "Give us a call when you get closer". (Does that mean, we'll give you a definite answer when you show up?) I'm sure they would fit us in, but moving to Narragansett Bay is moving closer to the forecasted center of the storm. I'm not sure that's smart. The yard manager said they were packing the boats together .....dominos anyone?
So, I've decided to stay put and double up the mooring while extending the preparations made a few days ago. Here's what's on the list for tomorrow:
On the boat:
1. Main will come off and come ashore
2. Boom and spin pole will be lashed to the deck
3. Hard dodger extension (fabic) will come off
4. All seacocks to be closed (including engine)
5. Dorade scoops come off and vent holes plugged
6. Anchor moved from being lashed on the deck to the cockpit where it will be rigged with a secondary rode in the event one might be needed quickly
7. Anchor light on (so I can see what's happening from shore??).
1. Third penant will be attached to the ball (1" three-strand nylon)
2. I'm diving on the mooring to check chain wear and all shackles/swivels etc.
3. A second (brand new) 1/2" chain will be attached from the bottom chain to the ball
4. The boat's chain anchor rode will be attached to the bottom chain (independent of the mooring top chain).
5. Additional layers of chafe gear will be lashed to the penants
(Note: Bollard is welded to the deck and the rodes are lashed so they won't come off the bow rollers. Mooring is two 100# danforths strung between 80 ft of 1" dia bottom chain bridle. Anchors are well dug in (diver in the spring said they were "invisible"). 40 ft 1/2" dia top chain runs from the center of the bottom bridle to the ball. Penants are all 1" and 20+ ft long. Water depth is 15-27 ft.)
All the extra chain etc may create a big snarl, but I doubt it will all fail and I'd rather deal with a chain snarl than a boat on the beach. All the penants are slightly different lengths, so they'll be stressed one at a time and should one fail, there's a second, then a third and finally the boat's chain rode.
OK, mates, what am I missing here? Prayer might help and I've assigned my wife that task (she's very good at it).
PS The insurance is paid, but the deductable is huge!
And if you think I have a problem..... I got an email from a former shipmate who arrived yesterday in Newport from the high Arctic on a 112 ft Italian registered sailboat that turned back from a NW Passage attempt. They came to Newport to be hauled for a repair. Apparently, they're not sure they can be hauled in the present circumstances and there are very few large boat moorings in Newport. The owner is in Milan and is screaming at the professional skipper to "do something" -- "go somehwere"!
Anyone have any suggestions for our foreign visitors? Mad dash to Bermuda?