Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011

Nudibranch is on a distinguished road
I'm sitting in Manteo, NC about to move to a wider slip. Lost my boat in Katrina, what's the chances of losing the replacement in this one? (high!) They will announce mandatory evacuations for tourists tonight and maybe for residents tomorrow. Now if we can just get Irene to cooperate and head east, we'll be good. Started stripping the boat last night of all canvas, looks like I'm the only one in the marina doing it. They may be waiting until the last minute, but this isn't my first rodeo. I'm more worried about some else's boat getting loose and hitting me than mine breaking loose.

Good luck to everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I am already in the queue to haul. This doesn't look good for Narragansett Bay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-24-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudibranch View Post
I'm sitting in Manteo, NC about to move to a wider slip. Lost my boat in Katrina, what's the chances of losing the replacement in this one? (high!) They will announce mandatory evacuations for tourists tonight and maybe for residents tomorrow. Now if we can just get Irene to cooperate and head east, we'll be good. Started stripping the boat last night of all canvas, looks like I'm the only one in the marina doing it. They may be waiting until the last minute, but this isn't my first rodeo. I'm more worried about some else's boat getting loose and hitting me than mine breaking loose.

Good luck to everyone!
Yikes, not the place I'd want to be...

Just curious, might it be possible for you to get out of there? (Not knowing your situation, of course, whether you have a home there, or whatever)... But, on the chance they do order an evacuation, why not vacate the area with your boat?

You have lots of good hidey holes not too far away, head as far west as you can in the Albemarle, or perhaps into the Dismal Canal, or even Coinjock?

Good luck to you...
Old 08-24-2011

2d Wind is on a distinguished road
There appears to be a lot of opposing views on whether it's better to haul out or find most protected spot in the water. We're planning on moving our Bene 331 up from the Shrewsbury (near Sandy Hook) to the Haverstraw Marina (on the Hudson). Don't feel like we have enough experience to feel confident anchoring somewhere. Anyone have any advice on if that's far enough north/inland that we'll be relatively ok with the right precautions (extra lines/chafe protectors, etc.)? Many thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-24-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2d Wind View Post
There appears to be a lot of opposing views on whether it's better to haul out or find most protected spot in the water. We're planning on moving our Bene 331 up from the Shrewsbury (near Sandy Hook) to the Haverstraw Marina (on the Hudson). Don't feel like we have enough experience to feel confident anchoring somewhere. Anyone have any advice on if that's far enough north/inland that we'll be relatively ok with the right precautions (extra lines/chafe protectors, etc.)? Many thanks.
That's a pretty big move..that should work if you have the time..
I imagine you'd want to make the move by tomorrow, friday..saturday latest.....if nothing happens...you've had a nice trip...
Old 08-24-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Dock Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Talk about the **** hitting the fan. Keep your boat in the water and it could face Irene. Haul her out and set her on land and the freaking ground is moving. I feel for ya!
I got to give credit to our marina, within 10 minutes after the 5.8 quake yesterday they had sent an email letting us know all is well.

About dock lines in a storm...

An old salt and owner of a beautiful PS 27 (?) helped me set up the lines on our boat when Isabel came through here several years ago. I cant recall what he called the set up, but what we did was to set up a series of lines for the bow and stern, 3 in total each.

Starting with the regular dock line, then one step smaller in diameter, one larger. The smaller was slightly more taught then the medium, the larger was slightly more slack than the medium/regular line. I had to get creative with how to tie them off since all three lines would not fit around one cleat.

In theory the smaller line would take the initial load, then the medium, and the larger was the last line of defense. We doubled the spring lines using the same theory.

I'm not sure I explained that well but it worked great I must say. With the newer rope I dont know that this idea is worth it anymore, but couldnt hurt? Both our boats sustained no damage, couldn't say that for many others in the marina.

Ironically (?), at home, Isabel dropped three large oak trees on our house, five in total, which one of them sliced the chimney off and it landed on both our cars, pancaking one and collapsing our carport...not scratch on the boat

This will be the first time I ever rode out a storm on the hard, not so sure if I am liking that option, not that I have a choice.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Last edited by T37Chef; 08-24-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-24-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2d Wind View Post
Anyone have any advice on if that's far enough north/inland that we'll be relatively ok with the right precautions (extra lines/chafe protectors, etc.)? Many thanks.
There are disparate views about the track of the storm (how far east) amongst the professionals. I wouldn't presume to tell you if where you're going is far enough but I suppose the farther you go from the eye, the better.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-24-2011

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
The track shows that P-town will experience 70-100kt winds.

I think that if I were you, I would plan to miss the wedding...
Wedding's going to have to go forward without me. Big dilemma today -- do I run for my winter storage yard in Narragansett Bay to be hauled or to I stay put, hunker down and build redundancy in the mooring? Maine was quickly crossed off the list as Irene is headed there after it strikes here.

Moving south to the RI yard has it's + & -'s: Obviously, it's better to be ashore than floating, but I have no crew available so I'd have to do the 80 plus miles (15-18 hrs) solo beating into 20 +/- knots with the seas building in the last 20 nm to 6 + feet. And then the exhausted skipper and boat arrive at a yard that indicated they are 'very busy', but would 'fit me in', but also said, "Give us a call when you get closer". (Does that mean, we'll give you a definite answer when you show up?) I'm sure they would fit us in, but moving to Narragansett Bay is moving closer to the forecasted center of the storm. I'm not sure that's smart. The yard manager said they were packing the boats together .....dominos anyone?

So, I've decided to stay put and double up the mooring while extending the preparations made a few days ago. Here's what's on the list for tomorrow:

On the boat:
1. Main will come off and come ashore
2. Boom and spin pole will be lashed to the deck
3. Hard dodger extension (fabic) will come off
4. All seacocks to be closed (including engine)
5. Dorade scoops come off and vent holes plugged
6. Anchor moved from being lashed on the deck to the cockpit where it will be rigged with a secondary rode in the event one might be needed quickly
7. Anchor light on (so I can see what's happening from shore??).

Mooring:

1. Third penant will be attached to the ball (1" three-strand nylon)
2. I'm diving on the mooring to check chain wear and all shackles/swivels etc.
3. A second (brand new) 1/2" chain will be attached from the bottom chain to the ball
4. The boat's chain anchor rode will be attached to the bottom chain (independent of the mooring top chain).
5. Additional layers of chafe gear will be lashed to the penants

(Note: Bollard is welded to the deck and the rodes are lashed so they won't come off the bow rollers. Mooring is two 100# danforths strung between 80 ft of 1" dia bottom chain bridle. Anchors are well dug in (diver in the spring said they were "invisible"). 40 ft 1/2" dia top chain runs from the center of the bottom bridle to the ball. Penants are all 1" and 20+ ft long. Water depth is 15-27 ft.)

All the extra chain etc may create a big snarl, but I doubt it will all fail and I'd rather deal with a chain snarl than a boat on the beach. All the penants are slightly different lengths, so they'll be stressed one at a time and should one fail, there's a second, then a third and finally the boat's chain rode.

OK, mates, what am I missing here? Prayer might help and I've assigned my wife that task (she's very good at it).

PS The insurance is paid, but the deductable is huge!

-------

And if you think I have a problem..... I got an email from a former shipmate who arrived yesterday in Newport from the high Arctic on a 112 ft Italian registered sailboat that turned back from a NW Passage attempt. They came to Newport to be hauled for a repair. Apparently, they're not sure they can be hauled in the present circumstances and there are very few large boat moorings in Newport. The owner is in Milan and is screaming at the professional skipper to "do something" -- "go somehwere"!

Anyone have any suggestions for our foreign visitors? Mad dash to Bermuda?
Old 08-24-2011

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I saw somewhere a 10 foot storm surge for the Bahamas. Seems to me there's a lot there that will be underwater. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.

Regards,
Brad
Brad. PRAY FOR US TOO!
Old 08-24-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
.....Anyone have any suggestions for our foreign visitors? Mad dash to Bermuda?
Fire up and head west down LI sound and as far up the Hudson as possible. With a full time crew, they should just keep going until it's over.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Tags
hurricane , hurricane irene , irene , preparedness , safety

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.