Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Fan Pier in Boston has some large boat moorings. Should be pretty well protected as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2011

saillife is on a distinguished road
OK, I've been watching this post with interest. I'm on the Chesapeake bay and have decided to stay in the water. I'm more concerned with wind than surge. Anyplace I haul is only gonna give me 5' - 6' of height above MHW.

My question is how to tie dock lines off to the pilings. The slip I'll be in has pilings with a decent height _except_ on the shore side. My fear is that the lines I have will hold the boat but the surge might put those pilings under water. What's a good knot to hold onto the pilings if the lines have an upward pull to them?
Old 08-24-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
Wedding's going to have to go forward without me. Big dilemma today -- do I run for my winter storage yard in Narragansett Bay to be hauled or to I stay put, hunker down and build redundancy in the mooring? Maine was quickly crossed off the list as Irene is headed there after it strikes here.

-------

And if you think I have a problem..... I got an email from a former shipmate who arrived yesterday in Newport from the high Arctic on a 112 ft Italian registered sailboat that turned back from a NW Passage attempt. They came to Newport to be hauled for a repair. Apparently, they're not sure they can be hauled in the present circumstances and there are very few large boat moorings in Newport. The owner is in Milan and is screaming at the professional skipper to "do something" -- "go somehwere"!

Anyone have any suggestions for our foreign visitors? Mad dash to Bermuda?
Well, this is easy for me to say, of course...

If I were you, I'd head for Maine...

If I were on The Italian Job, I'm make a mad dash for NY Harbor, and get as far up the Hudson as possible...

Are there any possibilities for you over in the Boston area? Sure might be nice to put that much landmass between you and a possible landfall as forecast now... I think you're wise to stay north of the canal, however, I wouldn't be running towards Buzzards Bay/Rhode Island Sound at this point...

Certainly sounds like you'll be well prepared, however - best of luck to you...
Old 08-24-2011

lawcrazyrob is on a distinguished road
Paceship 26 on a mooring in Winthrop, MA which is a very sheltered inlet part of Boston harbor. My strategy is to secure to the mooring with extra lines - to the mast as well - remove boom and mainsail, remove frontsail on furling, close dorade, remove dodger and lash anything left that's loose down tight. Any quibbles with this strategy? Any suggestions?
Rob
Old 08-24-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I think I am going to have to leave my boat in the water when Irene passes through. Fortunately I am on a floating dock with a vacant slip next to me, and we are pretty far inland on the river (though with more westward fetch than I would like). I plan to move my boat over to take up both slips between the finger piers.

My Catalina 250 has one cleat on each side at the stern (the standard stock locations). Currently I have two loops over each cleat - one for spring line, and the other for stern line. I'd like to double up these lines, but can't fit four loops over each cleat. I have a movable midship cleat on the port genoa track, but I do not want to use it because I do not think it is secure enough.

Do any of you have any creative ideas on how to overcome the limited number of cleats at the stern?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 08-24-2011

2d Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
That's a pretty big move..that should work if you have the time..
I imagine you'd want to make the move by tomorrow, friday..saturday latest.....if nothing happens...you've had a nice trip...
Yes, plan is to move up on Friday, with an early start, we're hoping to make it in one day. We actually had planned the move for the Winter (we actually live up in No. Westchester) so just making it a little earlier and, hopefully, will keep the boat in the water there until the end of the season. (BTW, thanks for the suggestions in the PM - tried to respond in kind, but I apparently don't have enough posts to be allowed to PM).

Good luck to everyone, and keeping fingers crossed that we're all over preparing for a hurricane that misses us all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2d Wind; 08-24-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-25-2011

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
The Drill

We are in Oriental, NC and closely watching (Goodnight) Irene. Unfortunately, I am on the west coast on business, so I am cutting my trip a day short and catching the redeye home tonight to give me some time to prep the boat. I went thru the drill last year with Ike (I think), stripped the sails -bimini-dodger and all lines, double anchored up our creek away from everything, and also tied off to two trees (180' off line on all four), charged the batteries and turned on the auto bilge pump (it really only comes down the main mast track into the boat). Naturally last year Ike totally missed us, hoping the same for Irene, but will run the drill again just in case. Also made reservations in Raleigh for the weekend, may as well have some fun out of it.

Ron
Old 08-25-2011

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
I haven't seen these mentioned;

Run a line through a fender, then under your boat to the bottom of the other side fender (opposite fenders, but not tight) to stop the fenders from riding up and being useless while the boat is banging both sides of the dock.

if your on a mooring, run lines from the stern or midship cleats (both sides) and tie it to the bow lines (forward on the mooring line, not on the bow cleat) to take some strain off the bow cleats and it stops the strain from ripping the bow cleats out. carabiners or shackles along a slotted toe rail help here. lifelines might be in the way.
Tempest likes this.

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
Old 08-25-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Last year when Earl was predicted to possibly come ashore in NJ I took a vacation day and tied down my Etap 26, which currently has the keel removed, so it floats real easy. I've seen 6 inches of water under my boat in a Noreaster, so the hurricane really worried me.

My tie down was 4 large screw anchors sunk 3-1/2 feet deep with two 3" wide flat nylon slings over the boat. I felt kind of stupid when the hurricane never arrived. I felt a little better when the yard guy told the last time a hurricane went through they recovered boats from yards all around the marina.

Now here it what sucks, I took the straps off while working on the boat this summer. Somebody actually unscrewed and stole the anchors!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 08-25-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post

Do any of you have any creative ideas on how to overcome the limited number of cleats at the stern?
Do you have a Slot ( for lack of a better term ) at the base of your cleat, that you can pass a line or two through...then create a loop (s) with a bowline that would sit on above your primary loops.....that you can attach additional lines to...?
caribiners might be useful ?
Run a jackline fore and aft that could give you some intermediate tie off points with a non-slipping knot?

With no secondary cleat..it all comes down to that one strong point holding.

Tags
hurricane , hurricane irene , irene , preparedness , safety