Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Good advice from a previous thread.

Hurricane Preparation
SVAuspicious likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the link Donna. I'll read it after I finish getting sail and canvas down and am safely anchored for the duration.

The OP in your link does suggest using hose for chafe protection. That is not a good idea. It keeps heat inside the line as it works and can lead to line failure. I've had good luck with rags wrapped and served, taped, or zip-tied and of course leathers.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 08-25-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
While I think we still need another 18 to 24 hrs to know, the tracking is getting worse for us. A couple of days ago, only about half the models showed Irene tracking through New England. Now they all show it, albeit in different places from NYC to the Cape. Hoping no one sustains damage, I'm still disappointed that so many will never go back in this season.

Hopefully surviving the storm, we will go right back in and hopefully enjoy another two months on the water.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-25-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
The OP in your link does suggest using hose for chafe protection. That is not a good idea. It keeps heat inside the line as it works and can lead to line failure.
Are you talking about garden hose? How about fire hose? I have some that I cut up and use for chafing.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-25-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
My Catalina 250 has one cleat on each side at the stern (the standard stock locations). Currently I have two loops over each cleat - one for spring line, and the other for stern line. I'd like to double up these lines, but can't fit four loops over each cleat. I have a movable midship cleat on the port genoa track, but I do not want to use it because I do not think it is secure enough.

Do any of you have any creative ideas on how to overcome the limited number of cleats at the stern?
Sorry, I'm not familiar with your boat, and it's a bit difficult to tell from your pic, but - couldn't you use your cockpit winches as attachment points for your spring lines, and save the cleats just for stern lines?
Old 08-25-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Are you talking about garden hose? How about fire hose? I have some that I cut up and use for chafing.
Fire hose is okay if you strip the rubber liner out but that is a lot of work. Fire hose, intact, is great for edging docks and pilings.

Synthetic lines can generate a lot of heat from internal friction. The good news is that if you can get water in (like rain) the heat can be dissipated. I use terry rags.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 08-25-2011

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
This is a tough one. Latest track shows the eye of Irene practically passing right over my mooring (I'm in Port Washington, NY). I'm not willing to haul out, as the only option, even if I can get hauled, won't put me on concrete that I can tie the boat down to. So here are my options:

1. Stay on my mooring in Manhasset Bay. Boat is 34 feet long and 16,000 pounds. Mooring is a 400 lb mushroom set in mud. Double pennants (3/4 thick) to double bow cleats. I would add an extra pennant and possibly drop an anchor as well, or daisy chain to another mooring ball assuming the power boat next to me gets hauled out.

2. Run up the Hudson to the marina at Haverstraw. They say they have room. It looks protected, but I don't like being tied to a dock for this.

Thoughts?
Old 08-25-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Plumbean,

According to the current track, neither of those options sounds great. A mushroom is not a good storm anchor and could drag, even if your lines hold. I would not set an anchor with it, as you will almost definitely cross lines when the winds shift 180 degs as the storm passes. I would remove the anchor altogether, it will chafe your mooring lines. With the current track, I would not expect the north shore of LI to get huge surge, but nasty conditions for sure.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-25-2011

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Spoke to the harbormaster and he strongly suggested not riding it out in the harbor. With the current track, the wind will shift from E to W, and the fetch to the NW is significant enough that the whole bay will be a real mess.
Old 08-25-2011

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Best of luck to all east coast captains....

Tags
hurricane , hurricane irene , irene , preparedness , safety