Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seal Harbor, Maine
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 10
We launched our catboat two days ago to get it onto our mooring in the Cathance River in Bowdoinham, ME. It has been sitting in the back yard surrounded by mature white pine and oaks, neither known for their ability to bend with the wind. That takes care of the southern Maine mooring. Today looks like a great day for a sail so we are headed out onto Merrymeeting Bay in an hour or so. I will remove the boom and gaff on our return and stow them below. Tomorrow, after the Blue Angels air show in Brunswick we head to Seal Harbor to put a second, storm, pennant on the big mooring that holds Tundra Down. We will remove sails and wrap up all lines early Sunday morning, haul the dinghy and watch the waves crash into the cliffs of Acadia National Park. Our big wind will be southerly on Monday and Seal Harbor is fairly well protected from that. Chafing gear on mooring lines and everything tied down tight. Fingers crossed, too. A strong northeaster would give us more concern than Irene if the track stays to the west.
Good luck to all you folks along the mid Atlantic coast. As a kid I spent a night on Hatteras, during a hurricane, in a tent! Yikes! The ferries had stopped before we realized what was happening. We had very little warning back in the 50's when storms were brewing. Things have sure improved. Mother Nature IS in charge! Tie her down Boy-O!
Islander-28, Marshall Sandpiper
Last edited by downeast450; 08-26-2011 at 09:11 AM.