Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Found a local marina that can haul me onto pavement. Coming out tomorrow morning and crossing my fingers there won't be any more earthquakes to boot.
Tempest and Minnewaska like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
I'm on Forked River on the mainland side of Barnegat Bay and as of right now the forecast has the eye of the storm riding right up the bay and barrier islands.

I'm on the haul out schedule for tomorrow afternoon and will stip her bare and hope for the best. If this storm is anywhere near as bad as the predictions there will definitely be an element of luck involved.

Here's hoping everyone on SailNet comes through OK.

Jim

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 08-25-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
I'm on Forked River on the mainland side of Barnegat Bay and as of right now the forecast has the eye of the storm riding right up the bay and barrier islands.

I'm on the haul out schedule for tomorrow afternoon and will stip her bare and hope for the best. If this storm is anywhere near as bad as the predictions there will definitely be an element of luck involved.

Here's hoping everyone on SailNet comes through OK.

Jim
Thanks, I'm in Raritan Bay...will decide in AM whether to haul...everything will be stripped in either case.

Have a Dark and Stormy at the Captain's Inn for me!!!

Last edited by Tempest; 08-25-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-25-2011
Ryan Heaslip BurlingtonVT

Ryan Heaslip is on a distinguished road
Best of luck to all East Coast captains. Even up here in Vermont on Lake Champlain we are getting ready for a big storm, nothing compared to our fellow sailors down South though.
Old 08-26-2011
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
Best of luck to all east coast captains....
Hear! Hear!

I'm sure that all of us West Coast types will keep you folks in our prayers; and keep our fingers X'd for all of you.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2011

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
The latest track shows the eye passing 6 blocks south of my house! Hopefully that won't happen (still a few days away) but I'm happy to be hauling out in the morning, even if it is only a 5 minute drive from here. Best of luck to everyone. Watching NC in particular, as both my wife and I have business interests near the Outer Banks.
Old 08-26-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
We launched our catboat two days ago to get it onto our mooring in the Cathance River in Bowdoinham, ME. It has been sitting in the back yard surrounded by mature white pine and oaks, neither known for their ability to bend with the wind. That takes care of the southern Maine mooring. Today looks like a great day for a sail so we are headed out onto Merrymeeting Bay in an hour or so. I will remove the boom and gaff on our return and stow them below. Tomorrow, after the Blue Angels air show in Brunswick we head to Seal Harbor to put a second, storm, pennant on the big mooring that holds Tundra Down. We will remove sails and wrap up all lines early Sunday morning, haul the dinghy and watch the waves crash into the cliffs of Acadia National Park. Our big wind will be southerly on Monday and Seal Harbor is fairly well protected from that. Chafing gear on mooring lines and everything tied down tight. Fingers crossed, too. A strong northeaster would give us more concern than Irene if the track stays to the west.

Good luck to all you folks along the mid Atlantic coast. As a kid I spent a night on Hatteras, during a hurricane, in a tent! Yikes! The ferries had stopped before we realized what was happening. We had very little warning back in the 50's when storms were brewing. Things have sure improved. Mother Nature IS in charge! Tie her down Boy-O!

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 08-26-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: sp
Old 08-26-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
We launched our catboat two days ago to get it onto our mooring in the Cathance River in Bowdoinham, ME. It has been sitting in the back yard surrounded by mature white pine and oaks, neither known for their ability to bend with the wind. That takes care of the southern Maine mooring. Today looks like a great day for a sail so we are headed out onto Merrymeeting Bay in an hour or so. I will remove the boom and gaff on our return and stow them below. Tomorrow, after the Blue Angels air show in Brunswick we head to Seal Harbor to put a second, storm, pennant on the big mooring that holds Tundra Down. We will remove sails and wrap up all lines early Sunday morning, haul the dinghy and watch the waves crash into the cliffs of Acadia National Park. Our big wind will be southerly on Monday and Seal Harbor is fairly well protected from that. Chafing gear on mooring lines and everything tied down tight. Fingers crossed, too. A strong northeaster would give us more concern than Irene if the track stays to the west.

Good luck to all you folks along the mid Atlantic coast. As a kid I spent a night on Hatteras, during a hurricane, in a tent! Yikes! The ferries had stopped before we realized what was happening. We had very little warning back in the 50's when storms were brewing. Things have sure improved. Mother Nature IS in charge! Tie her down Boy-O!

Down
Down,

You can stop by Hamilton is SW Harbor and buy some extra chafe sleeve. I use both the black Cordura and the white polyester from Hamilton in a three layer sandwich, Cordura, white polyester, Cordura. I also use Chafe-Pro chafe guards though I have retired my six year old Chafe-Pro guards for this storm.

We're riding it out in NE Harbor up against the Asticou side protected by the mountain to the N, NE, E & SE.....

Seal is pretty exposed!! I'd opt for more than two pendants with each one slightly longer than the next one. Take your original pendants and loop the spliced eyes over it then run the three pendants through your chocks with lots of chafe protection. I have chewed through a pendant before and was darn glad I had a brand new one that had never seen any chafe or load because it was slightly longer than the previous one..

For those on moorings PLEASE take the time to read this:

Mooring Preparations and Precautions (LINK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 08-26-2011

thomasward00 is on a distinguished road
Looks at though Irene has dropped to a Cat 2, it certainly isn't another Katrina. While all boats should be secured, this isn't the storm of the century.
Old 08-26-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Maine,

Good advice. I have a large roll of white polyester that I purchased, at considerable expense, a few years ago and double it on all mooring lines I build. I do intend two, the second one is larger and longer than our standard one. Weaving them together at the cleats and tying them securely is a trick. I need to enlarge the bow cleats on TD. We use a bridle with two lines for each mooring line, one from each cleat joining at the trunk line that attaches to the mooring. If one side fails at the chock the other side is still there. That gives us 4 lines at the deck and the way the boat wanders at the mooring they exchange the load regularly.

SH is an exposed harbor compared to NEH especially to the east, but the strongest winds will be southerly so seas won't be part of the equation for the brunt of this storm.

Our mooring is inside, west of center, and enjoys some protection from the se. With the Cranberries to the east the fetch isn't open ocean and most nor' easters drive the big swells into the rocks before we deal with them. We considered moving to NEH and would have if "the other woman" as my wife refers to Irene, had been farther to the east. Good luck Maine. You are in a good spot for this blow.

Down

Tags
hurricane , hurricane irene , irene , preparedness , safety