Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDChopper View Post
IMHO you need more Physics books on there lol ...

Good luck , remember you may want to take that back up in the future so the "perfect bond" may not serve you well .... just food for thought

Lots of bond products out there I have used many .... T5200 one of my faves , Gorilla glue works , liquid nails ect....
The veneer has separated from the plywood and is curling up. The plywood is completely intact and straight so I think I'm good there.
The one physics book is enough. The mass of that thing is as much as three medium size children...at least, that's what I remember it feeling like as I lugged it around campus. I may be slightly overstating things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Oxalic acid DOES work for bleaching wood. See the link below.

Oxalic Acid for Wood Bleaching - Rockler Woodworking Tools
Lets take an acid and use it in a small enclosed space. What's the worst that could happen?

But it does look like it's the chemical for the job considering the stain is most likely tannins from a tree the boat had been under.
Does it need to be neutralized?

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2011

SPC is on a distinguished road
Here is one summary from woodzone that addresses options. I recommend that you try one, nuetralize, let dry, and then try another if that doesn't work. Whatever you do, please let us know the results.

"Two-Part bleaches are a combination of sodium hydroxide and hydrogen peroxide. These bleaches are used to lighten the natural color of the wood. They are sold in separate containers because they chemically neutralize each other when mixed. When the chemicals are mixed on the wood itself the reaction removes the color from the wood. They can tend to remove the luster from wood as well so care should be taken to test the results on a piece of scrap wood. Two part bleaches remove the natural color of the wood and bleach it to an off-white color. This type of bleach is also en excellent choice when you need to even out the color variations between heartwood and sapwood before applying a stain. The sodium hydroxide in two-part bleaches can burn your skin so care should be taken to protect your skin and eyes.

Chlorine Bleach can be used to remove dye stain from wood in much the same way that it removes color from clothing. Household bleaches such as Chlorox can be used but they tend to be weak and require multiple treatments. The shock treatments used for swimming pools contain a higher concentration of chlorine bleach and can be used for a more-aggressive bleaching treatment. Chlorine bleaches can also be used to remove some food stains such as grape juice.

Oxalic Acid is an excellent choice for removing iron stains and black water rings from old furniture. It is sold in a dry crystal form and is available at most hardware stores. You will often see oxalic acid labeled as "Wood Bleach" so check the label to make sure you are getting the right product. It can also be used to remove some inks and pigmented stains. Oxalic acid is also often found in deck cleaners because it works well with old weathered wood."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook