SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   The boat'll be fine, right?? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/77989-boatll-fine-right.html)

jppp 08-26-2011 08:49 PM

The boat'll be fine, right??

So we went down to the marina and took the main and genoa off the RF. Tightened and lashed all halyards, any life vests hanging on the life lines went down below, We added a second spring line and doubled the bow lines, put out a total of 8 bumpers. After all, the surge can't be that bad on the Hudson, right?
Then while walking through the "Club House" I noticed an old photo of the yard with boats on stands with water half way up the stand. Um this could be an issue. If the water rises that much the docks will become rafts. Hamahamahama....
I think tomorrow I'll go and check the height of those pilings again.

Cruiser2B 08-26-2011 09:16 PM

I went and doubled all lines and removed as much as I could. I asked around the docks and lots of people had their boats there for Isabel and '09 Nor'easter and said we should be fine. I would say less that 5% of the boats left our marina. The surge from Isabel left docks with about 8-10 inches to the tops of the pylons. Everyone seems to think Irenes surge would not be as bad. Time will tell. I am hoping she continues to weaken......:(

jppp 08-26-2011 09:32 PM

I just got an update. High tide and eye of storm will be here at the same time

Cruiser2B 08-26-2011 09:43 PM

hopefully she will just be a tropical storm by the time she get there. We are lucky that at the forcasted height of the storm will be low tide.......i hope she picks up speed!

jppp 08-27-2011 01:51 PM

One more question....
The guy next to me pulled his boat out leaving me with the option of placing the boat in the center rather than up against the dock. Right now she's spidered out on both sides but up against my dock with long lines to the other dock. Center or stay to one side? Thoughts?

HDChopper 08-27-2011 04:03 PM

Good luck jppp , can't really answer your question other than to say from a physic point of view .

I would want EQUAL forces imposed on ALL lines...

hellosailor 08-27-2011 05:01 PM

jp, if you wre sure the wind would come from "that side" I'd say tie up windward, so there's more room on the leeward side of the boat. More likely the winds will shift and reverse and you'd be safer in the middle though. Of course that means you'll need a way to take one giant step to get off and back on the boat.

GaryHLucas 08-27-2011 06:01 PM

My boat is on the hard with the keel off, so she'll float real easy. This past summer some scumbag stole my ground anchors. Yesterday I got 4 more from McMaster Carr for $10 each, 3/4" shaft 4 feet long. Got he boat tied down with four anchors and two 2" ratchet straps over the top, mast is down and all hatches secured with ratchet straps. I took pictures at 8:30 last night, I doubt she's going any where. My big worry is I have only liability insurance, if my boat hits yours, I'm covered for your damage but not mine. If my boat gets damaged by someone else's and my boat hasn't moved then I guess I argue that mine is the only properly tied boat in the marina, so it is someone else's fault and they should pay. Hope I don't have to make the argument!

Gary H. Lucas

jppp 08-28-2011 02:00 PM

My boat partner texted me a picture of the marina. I saw a clubhouse surrounded by the Hudson river. The tops of the floating docks are within 1' of the tops of the pilings. There are a coupla boats on stands that look like they' re going to float away. The only way to the boat is by boat. The good news is the sun just came out. Hmmm... there is a nice breeze too.

Cruiser2B 08-28-2011 02:07 PM

It looks like the storm has moved over NYC and is now well on the way to New England. That is good news. Hopefully your tides will cooperate and water will have already reached the highest points. It looks like she picked up alot of speed. We had tropical storm wind and rain for about 24hrs. I have heard reports of 15" of rain! Good Luck!