Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road
They're radio wasn't working, so I assume they had an electrical problem?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
Not to defend them, but, unless you've been in the midst of one of these storms, you don't know what you'll do. If they got caught out in this thing, I'd imagine everything that went bad all went bad in a hurry. With the wind pushing the rain sideways, before you know it, you have zero visibity and the wind is trying it's best to shove you off the deck and out of the cockpit. It's hard to say what these people go into. The report says 6' waves and 45mph winds, but that's the bottom and doesn't include the speed of the gusts they had to be getting hammered with. They're very lucky.
Old 08-28-2011

Nautichthys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTony View Post
It was late in the year and on both deliveries we got into rough weather and both engines stopped running. The second delivery was a 40' Hunter. Something about how the boats bounced in the large swells just screwed up the engine.
Pretty typical. Any crap in the fuel tank will make itself known when things start rocking and rolling, it gets stirred up, plugs the fuel filter and kills the engine.

I'm a strong believer in fitting dual oversized canister primary filters with isolation valves (and transparent sediment bowls so you can see what's going on). Run on one canister with the second isolated in reserve for that dark and stormy night when the engine starts coughing. Not that I have ever been caught dead in the water on a lee shore or anything...
HDChopper and BentSailor like this.
Old 08-28-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
According to the CNN video, they lived on the boat. I would have expected a bit more caution in terms of choosing to outrun the storm. If it were my home, I would have had it locked down somewhere as best I could. Oh well, at least the cat is fine.

Mike
2d Wind likes this.
Old 08-28-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Some folks are just not meant to venture out upon the water, it's as simple as that...

Morons, in particular... (grin)

All these people had to do, was manage to make their way under sail back into Hampton Roads and around behind Willoughby Spit to a protected anchorage, a distance of perhaps 3 miles from where they decided to drop the hook Friday night... the local conditions throughout that night were a light to moderate ESE, would have been dead downwind past Ft. Wool and on over towards Hampton, or around the spit into Willoughby Bay...

Instead, in advance of the approach of a hurricane and the forecast E-NE winds placing them off a lee shore, they decide to anchor in the open waters of the Chesapeake...

No wonder they "declined to be identified"... Un-freakin-believable...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-28-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Some folks are just not meant to venture out upon the water, it's as simple as that...

Morons, in particular... (grin)
Jon, you may appreciate one of my favorite funny sayings.

There is no shame in being ignorant. Ignorance can be cured, with effort. Idiocy, on the other hand, is a permanent condition.

DaCAP
Pasadena, MD
Old 08-29-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Notice how the production boat was holding up pretty well to Cat 1 winds...before they beached it? Impressive.
Uhh, look closer...

Quote:

...whose anchor chain had ripped a squiggly gash through the fiberglass hull like a piece of string through wet paper.

Beached sailor races against time - The Washington Post
As you can see, the chain sliced right through the STEM of that boat, which in theory should be one of the most robustly constructed portions of the hull above the waterline...

Wow... That sucker should come standard from the factory with a Chinese Rocna, to ensure the anchor breaks before the boat... (grin)

Old 08-29-2011
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
So...

Livaboards take off from a harbor just ahead of a hurricane heading the same direction as the hurricane, then when the engine stops, anchor a few hundred yards off shore....

Only explanation that fits is they were tired of living aboard and were hoping to collect the insurance money for a nice downpayment....

Glad everyone is ok and that the CG did not suffer any loss. A heavy boat banging around in shallow water or in the surf can certainly cause a major injury. reminds me of the guys a few years ago that went hang gliding in So Cal when the Santa Anna winds were blowing and there was a forest fire on the principle that the hot air would rise faster....
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 08-29-2011

johnferrell is on a distinguished road
I am not sure what kind of engine problems they had but when we went out and looked at the boat on Sunday the prop was covered with barnicles. On that leg of their trip they would have been fighting head winds and current. They were not very far from the Hampton roads bridge tunnel. If they had turned and ran with the wind they could have probably made it back to willoghby bay. but I was not the one making the call. Little creek would have been to tough of a trip after Friday afternoon. The boat did not look to bad for the grounding but I could not see side that was burried in the sand.
Old 08-29-2011

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
There have been numerous reports of this poor vessel, including a front page article in the Washington Post this morning.

I believe the boat was not a Hunter, but rather a Catalina 30.

The couple were identified....a guy and his girlfriend, both ex-military. They live aboard with their cats.

According to the articles they went aground near Willoughby Beach after bouncing off or over a barrier seawall.

Heading for Annapolis -- well over 100 miles distant to the north?

Outrun a hurricane moving north at 14mph, in a 30' sailboat against wind and seas and current?

In the Chesapeake where square waves are typical?

I think not. Someone just badly misjudged the situation.

Clearly, this was a case of inexperienced sailors who misjudged their boat, the conditions, and their own capabilities.

They anchored off what was soon to become a lee shore and hurricane conditions, when to all appearances they could rather easily have made safe harbor downwind under sail (jib alone if need be) or even bare poles.

Once Irene's winds set in, they were from the north and northeast all day long on Saturday, with gusts in the 60-80 knot range. This boat reportedly anchored on Friday night under fairly benign conditions, and was thrown up on the shore next morning -- long before the real weather set in.

A real shame, and a lesson to us all.

Hope they somehow manage to get her off the beach before the County or the Feds do it for them.

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 08-29-2011 at 05:24 PM.