Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011

Bowedtoothdoc is on a distinguished road
I'm thinking that the Cat was in charge and made some poor decisions once things got difficult
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Uhh, look closer...

As you can see, the chain sliced right through the STEM of that boat, which in theory should be one of the most robustly constructed portions of the hull above the waterline...

Wow... That sucker should come standard from the factory with a Chinese Rocna, to ensure the anchor breaks before the boat... (grin)
Okay, dude - granted, I was being a bit hyperbolic on the "production boat in a Cat 1" thing - but c'mon, when you're talking about chain+surf+GRP - not even the most robust "blue water" tank is going to stand up to that - even at the stem. Surely you know that.

And, bowedtooth, his poor decisions apparently started way before it got difficult.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-30-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
This story makes me think of a common post here on SN. Something to the effect of, 'do you think I am ready for xx big boat'. I would say, compared to the folks from this boat, just by asking the question, you are already more prepared than they. ie: these folks and their cat, probably don't know what they don't know, and never thought to ask... now they know just a little bit more.
Old 08-30-2011

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
The average wind speed on the lower Chesapeake for Friday the 26th in the area in question was a low 0f 5 knots to a high that evening of 11 knots. So, the weather conditions where not a reason preventing this guy from sailing to a safe place instead of anchoring a 1000 yards from shore off a spit that was actually created by a hurricane.

This whole ordeal was just plain STUPID.
Old 08-30-2011

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Do you think this guy will ever show up here and attempt to defend what he did?
Old 08-30-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Do you think this guy will ever show up here and attempt to defend what he did?
C'mon, the dude lost his boat/home. That's enough.

If he were to come on here I hope he wouldn't be forced to "defend" his actions to some anonymous chumps on the interwebs who have done and will do plenty of stupid things themselves.

Old 08-30-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Don't forget that if the article is accurate, they left from Portsmouth. I don't know those waters, but a quick look on Google maps shows that Portsmouth is even better protected than Willoughby Spit. It just boggles the mind why they would have left Portsmouth with the hurricane coming.
Portsmouth would have been more protected, but it was likely pretty crowded in there...

Surprising after having come up the ICW, he wouldn't have thought to have backtracked a bit, perhaps gone back through the Great Bridge Lock, or back into the Dismal Swamp Canal... Not many hurricane holes on the entire east coast better than that, both within a mere dozen statute miles of Portsmouth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Okay, dude - granted, I was being a bit hyperbolic on the "production boat in a Cat 1" thing - but c'mon, when you're talking about chain+surf+GRP - not even the most robust "blue water" tank is going to stand up to that - even at the stem. Surely you know that.
Actually, I don't know that... (grin) IMHO, there are plenty of boats out there that could have withstood whatever caused that damage...

Impossible to know precisely the physics of what might have occurred, of course, but seems to me there would have been a failure or breakage in his ground tackle system or deck attachment points, well before his rode peeled open his stem like a can opener...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-30-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Anchoring in the open while a hurricane was approaching was surely a mistake. However, the design of the boat did prevent the owner from exercising all his options before being driven onto a lee shore as follows:

The video shows the sailboat in what appears to be a fresh breeze and six foot waves during daylight Saturday before the full brunt of the hurricane hit Norfolk. Sure, there are occasional gusts, but the wind appears to be around 30 knots. The boat is dragging anchor toward a lee shore but it is not being knocked on its beam ends or pressed against the water under the force of the wind yet. Foam and spray are not being driven horizontally across the screen. In fact, the conditions are not so bad as to prevent someone from filming the scene.

So, in these conditions where the anchor is dragging, couldn't a well-built, seaworthy, blue-water boat with a storm jib and a triple-reefed main or trysail and a competent captain and crew, sail off the anchor and away from the lee shore and immediately sail to better cover from the storm?
Old 08-30-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Actually, I don't know that... (grin) IMHO, there are plenty of boats out there that could have withstood whatever caused that damage...

Impossible to know precisely the physics of what might have occurred, of course, but seems to me there would have been a failure or breakage in his ground tackle system or deck attachment points, well before his rode peeled open his stem like a can opener...
If you zoom in on that image, it sure looks like chain to me. If it's rope rode, you're right, the boat's a piece of crap - and that rope is insanely strong. If it's chain, and if it's wrapped back around the stem to an anchor that's set out away from the beach - that chain becomes a saw in the surf as the waves move the hull up and down. No GRP is going to stand up to that...period...not even on a Hans Christian.

If nothing else, even with your own argument, you have to be impressed with the deck attachment points, right?

In seriousness, I'm not necessarily defending this Hunter(?). But this was a case of putting a boat in the wrong place at the wrong time (as james hints above). It had nothing to do with whether that boat was "blue water capable" or not.

Old 08-30-2011
Last Man Standing

Another bummer...