Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Many shelters are single-gender. A man breaking into to a shelter for women would definitely be trespassing (at the very least).
Roger that- didn't realize he broke in to a womens' shelter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2011
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI View Post
I have never seen a news report in the non-sailing press that gets that sort of stuff right. The news reporter on the TV report keeps calling her a "ship."
Kind of like any tracked military vehicle with a gun barrel is a "tank" -- drives me bat shite whenever it happens.

Just proves that any 1/2-way good loooking knucklehead that can speak without drooling down the front of their shirt is fully qualified to be an on-air reporter.
Old 08-31-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Kind of like any tracked military vehicle with a gun barrel is a "tank" -- drives me bat shite whenever it happens.

Just proves that any 1/2-way good loooking knucklehead that can speak without drooling down the front of their shirt is fully qualified to be an on-air reporter.
I always wonder why the reporter needs to be outside in the rain and wind while reporting on a Hurricane or any other storm. Seems they could just sit in their nice air conditioned van and aim the camera out a window.
Old 08-31-2011
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowedtoothdoc View Post
I'm thinking that the Cat was in charge and made some poor decisions once things got difficult
TOONCES! LOOK OUT!!!!

T37Chef likes this.
Old 08-31-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
From the comments section of the linked Post article:

buffysummers
Travel lifts can carry quite a load, all depending on their designed load capacity. Unfortunately, attempting to drive an already heavy lift across wet sand would likely sink it to the point it could not pull itself. I doubt it would make it to the boat, let alone be capable of lifting it and walking out without leaving one more man-made object to be removed from the beach. It's a good thought though.
Old 08-31-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
To follow up on Dean's comment.

I thought the same thing (the travel lift would sink into the sand)

In addition the mast would have to be unstepped get the travel lift into position.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-31-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
After reading his story, he still deserves the Darwin award of the year, but I hope he can pick up the pieces and get his life back together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 08-31-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
I always try to learn from the mistakes of others and I still consider myself a fledgling when it comes to sailing but WTH! Even I know that one would have to be completely brain dead to leave a safe haven in front of a hurricane knowing the hull speed of my boat could not exceed the speed of the storm. I can't imagine what he was thinking. And since he can't come up with $50 bail money, I think his hopes of moving the boat within a week are just as sunk, unless he has $8 for a good shovel and one hell of a strong back.

As I mentioned before, a travel lift would be useless. If a mobile crane could be driven close enough, wide pads could be used under the outriggers and the boat swung 180 degrees to a waiting truck. That would cost more than the shovel though. A dozer could pull it up on a skid, or over rollers to a more stable surface where it could be loaded. Can't be done from jail though.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong. Aren't most, if not all sailboats that are suitable for coastal cruising capable of handling the conditions this guy found himself in? I'm not validating his decision to be there but I'm sure that all sailors find themselves in bad conditions when they can't avoid a storm or forecasting falls short. The only damage I saw was the result of the anchor chain. I would think that trying to get off a lee shore should be attempted before anchoring. He could always drop an anchor as a last resort, and shouldn't he be carrying more than one anchor? If it was me, I would have dropped every anchor I had, then tied a line to the dead engine and thrown it over as well.

What I'm getting at is, assuming the captain and crew make smart decisions, surely those conditions aren't "boat killers".
Old 08-31-2011
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Oh, and I posted the travel lift comment I saw cause I thought it went without saying that it wouldn't work (power lines? the mast?) and it was funny..

Dean101 likes this.
Old 09-01-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
This whole thing is just the train wreck of this guy's life playing out in a public way. We see this all the time. This one just happened to include a sailboat in the drama. An analysis of his seamanship choices at this point in his life is pointless. If he were driving he would have missed a corner. If he were flying he would have stalled in a turn. If he were climbing he would descend onto a rope that is 20' too short, etc.
SloopJonB likes this.