Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Thankfully, Irene didn't deliver the massive KO punch all along the eastern seaboard that many predicted was likely. There was catastrophic damage in several places, and lives were lost, but by and large it could have been much, much worse. My heartfelt condolences go out to those who have suffered loses.

As far as the media coverage goes, my initial reaction is one of minor annoyance. That said, we should recognize that as sailors we probably know more about weather than 90% of the folks we see on TV.

The reporting was by and large NYC centrist, meaning that all of the other reporting was simply playing a supporting role. I got the feeling that the "newsies" side of the team was eagerly awaiting being able to show footage of subways flooding, streets in NYC awash, etc. The "weather geek" side of the reporting was trying to do their best to influence folks to heed warnings and evac orders. Combined, they led to expectations which were well above the actual outcome.

As a one time instance, this isn't a bad thing.

However, IMHO it is reflective of a significant shift in the tenor of reporting from fact-based to emotion based. In the long run, this will NOT serve us well -- as others have mentioned, in the future many will evaluate future reporting as "overblown" or "alarmist" and may ignore a significant threat to their own ultimate peril. To hedge against that possibility, the media will have to "overpredict" the dangers to get people to take the prudent measures that should be taken. It becomes a viscious circle, with credibility of the reporting continuing to erode.

Our media is not serving us well, and we only have ourselves to blame. I applaud the weather guys for taking the conservative path and giving us the worst-case possibilities -- that's info that is useful and helps us to help ourselves. The news folks -- from the idiot reporters who decide that they have to be "at the spot" to report in dangerous conditions, to the producers/directors who push them to be there, to copy writers who are trying to find new and creative hyperbole to grab and keep our attention, the insurance underwriters who don't throw the BS flag at the networks for placing their people in unnecessarily dangerous situations -- should seriously review how they are really serving the public good.

Just my $0.02 --
HDChopper likes this.

Last edited by PorFin; 08-29-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2011

nolatom will become famous soon enough
"Nation Struggles to Survive Strong Winds and Flood of Major Media Market Irene Coverage".

Anyway, I'm glad it wasn't worse, but hope the media over-hype doesn't lead folks to be complacent next time.

One good effect down here in New Orleans is we have escaped the media lights and mirrors for the 6th anniversary of Katrina (today) because they were elsewhere. We don't need the spotlight on this any more, thank God.
Old 08-29-2011

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Media weather reporting has become something akin to ball game calling. I no longer take them seriously. Instead I follow a storm on NOAA's tropical weather site and use weather underground with all their satellite, radar and tracking maps and make my own forecast. NOAA's discussion page is a sober, factual discussion of a storm's history and current situation. Their projections of where the storm will travel paint a wide enough swath so that you can determine if you probably are or are not going to be effected within the next 48 hours. That's pretty good information given the variable surrounding any given storm.
If I had been in the Chesapeake, or New Jersey or New York or Connecticut or Massachusetts (who did I forget?) I would have done eveything I was capable of to prepare and protect my boat. You could not come to any other conclusion.
There are a lot of people tonight who do not think this was not a serious storm.
John
Old 08-30-2011

pinayreefer is on a distinguished road
Ditto to ccriders response. At a certain point I listened to the national media talk about the potential disaster to NY while the people in NC were getting blasted with little mention. After that I went back to NOAA Hurricane Center where I normally get all my tropical storm info.
Old 08-30-2011
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinayreefer View Post
Ditto to ccriders response. At a certain point I listened to the national media talk about the potential disaster to NY while the people in NC were getting blasted with little mention. After that I went back to NOAA Hurricane Center where I normally get all my tropical storm info.
Yep -- other than pics of the OBX, much of the impact on NC has gone unreported. I mean Oriental was under water, ffs. Of course, the winds on the backside of the storm blew most of that back out of the Pamlico Sound and kept the media from getting sexy footage.

Any mention in the national news? Not a peep.

For those curious, check out www.towndock.net
Old 08-30-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Close to 50 killed, billions in property damage, thousands if not tens of thousands still without power as I write this and the storm was overhyped?

Did anyone notice the storms path was consistently within 50 miles of the predicted path 5 or 6 days out? That rainfall predictions were pretty much spot on?

As others have stated Hurricanes are hard to predict and yet forecasters got this one just about right. Where they were wrong and where we got lucky was in that Irene didn't gain strength between the Carribean and NC. If she had found fuel in the Gulfstream and hit NC as a Cat 3, the damage we got would pale in comparison.
Old 08-30-2011

YARDPRO is on a distinguished road
some of you guys kill me... I am in morehead city nc.. While i agree that the storm winds weakend, the surge was devastating. I moor my boat at the morehead waterfront. I moved it to a "hurricane hole" marina. The water was neck neep over the docks during the storm. A lot of boats broke loose and wahed away. In atlantic beach the ocean and sound met, and many areas of the beach were under several feet of water. Water is over 3 feet deep in several of the condos we maintain.. we have pumps running 24hrs a day pumping them out.. septic tanks have contaminated all the flooded areas. Many areas down east were under 5-6 feet of water. Many of the fish houses/crab shacks were destroied..

check out this link for some post irene pictures you are NOT eeing on the national news.. remember a lot of areas are still unaccessable to news crews:

Hurricane Irene path 2011: As East Coast recovers, is Katia on its way next? | Mail Online

i realize it was no katrina, but for a cat 1 it was bad.. not winds, but storm surge and flooding..

SO my asertation is this: Had they NOT hyped it and it hit as a 3 as predicted, MANY would have lost thier lives. we learned from katrina, so why should we make the same mistake again... it is wasy to monday quarterback others decisions, but i would rather err on the side of caution... after going throuugh MANY storms ince meoving here in 73, the media ALWAYS overplays the storm... reporters want air time to further thier career.. no damage, no air time...
Old 08-31-2011
Banned

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Must be nice to pontificate and downplay the potential of ANY tropical storm over waters of 80 degrees which will travel close to 100 miles of the most densly populated parts of the country. Sitting safe on your butt with the glow of that computer screen must really dull your sense of the reality which some of us may have felt as Irene barreled up the coast.

While I agree it is very difficult to listen to those talking heads so called newcasters preaching Armaghedon, it is equaslly difficult to listen to those who preach we shouldnt take heed or warning when a storm like this exists. To those in its path..we sigh a sense of releif as our boats were spared, some lost property, some lost lives.

Not once did I not thank the NWS/ NOAA for its forecast this time or warnings. To those who were not impacted either personally or intellectually by these warnings, just ignore them next time. Excercise your right to turn your TV off. And oh yes, try and find some dry sand to stick your head into till it blows over.

Dave
Old 08-31-2011
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Must be nice to pontificate and downplay the potential of ANY tropical storm over waters of 80 degrees which will travel close to 100 miles of the most densly populated parts of the country. Sitting safe on your butt with the glow of that computer screen must really dull your sense of the reality which some of us may have felt as Irene barreled up the coast.

While I agree it is very difficult to listen to those talking heads so called newcasters preaching Armaghedon, it is equaslly difficult to listen to those who preach we shouldnt take heed or warning when a storm like this exists. To those in its path..we sigh a sense of releif as our boats were spared, some lost property, some lost lives.

Not once did I not thank the NWS/ NOAA for its forecast this time or warnings. To those who were not impacted either personally or intellectually by these warnings, just ignore them next time. Excercise your right to turn your TV off. And oh yes, try and find some dry sand to stick your head into till it blows over.

Dave
Dave,

I think you and I are in violent agreement. We share the same admiration for the wx folks, and the same scorn for the news anchors.

My concerns are that because of the hyperbole of this storm, folks who literally don't have enough sense to get in out of the rain will not take defensive measures in the next one.
Old 08-31-2011

anthemj24 is on a distinguished road
Wow, I don't even know what to say to some of the posts here. This just as easily could have hit NC as a 3 and NYC as a 2, in which case the property cost would have been into the tens of billions, and the cost in lives much higher than it has been already. Some people are so anxious to make the media into a boogeyman, that they just make an ass of themselves. This was a really bad storm that has cost a bunch of lives, and ruined a bunch more. The fact it was not much worse is something we should be grateful for, not whining about. It would have been far worse to be under prepared as happened during Katrina. Now I remember why I stay away from message boards, too many armchair idiots spouting off nonsense, making up conspiracy theories, and trying to prove how big their manhood is.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.