Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Foto of Irene of unknown authenticity

There seems to be a lot of twits and twittering that hurricane Irene was overblown by the media and did not live up to forecasters predictions. To those stupid enough to overlook their own good fortune I can only say step away from your computer a bit more or at least search the web for the many instances where this storm caused a bit of death, some destruction and a lot of inconvenience to most. It could have been a lot worse. You would be bitching way louder if it had been worse then forecast. At least it is past.
I found this photo on the web of what is purported to be h'cane Irene. I do not know the location, nor can I vouch for it's authenticity but the photo is impressive.
If I had to guess I'd say it was off the coast of the Carolinas somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Foto of Irene of unknown authenticity-irene-wall-cloud.jpg  
canuck likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Appear to be shelf clouds per snopes.com, and not of a hurricane.

snopes.com: Hurricane Isabel
Old 08-28-2011

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Interesting commentary. Down here on the Texas/Louisana Gulf coast, hurricanes are more common, often larger (cat 3-5) and do more damage (Katrina 1833 lives lost, Rita much fewer lost, the great Galveson Hurricane 12,000 lives lost), but with that said, no hurricane of any category should be taken lightly - they all cause massive loss of property and lives.
tomperanteau likes this.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 08-29-2011
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
"crying wolf" is just as dangerous as ignoring the danger. by overstating the danger of this hurricane news media potentially conditioned the public that a "scary hurricane" they've been blaring about for a week is almost a non-event (for many who were presumably in its path) or at most a nuisance.

next time a real dangerous hurricane comes this way (let's hope - not soon), people may not take the news quite so seriously as they will already "know" that it's not a big deal. and since the news was so extremely hysterical, there isn't really much room to take the scaremongering up even a notch, so there isn't really a good way for public to distinguish higher and lower levels of danger.

unfortunately, fear sells news.
T37Chef, kd3pc and Ninefingers like this.

Last edited by brak; 08-29-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-29-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I take hurricanes and tropical storms seriously and was hoping to find that we were more prepared than necessary--that looks to have been the case. But I did get the impression that the local media overhyped Irene --as if they were invested in it being huge and newsworthy. I agree with brak that this hysterical reporting of big storms can numb folks to what the real deal can and will do. The Washington Post headline yesterday said 115 mph winds. That was one gust at one station in North Carolina.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 08-29-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
There seems to be a lot of twits and twittering that hurricane Irene was overblown by the media andockd did not live up to forecasters predictions.
What a pity. Even with all today's science, hurricanes are not very predictable. For a while some of the models showed the eye of Irene running most of the way up the middle of the BOS-WASH corridor instead of just offshore, which would also have put NYC in the more dangerous hemisphere. This time we got lucky and the darn thing lost more strength than predicted as it ran along the coast. Next time could be very different.

While some portion of the masses may feel the news casters cried wolf, most know better. They will continue to prepare for the worst while hoping for the best -- the situation we were lucky enough to have this time.

Here's a real-life experience for those who believe less strength means less risk. My boating buddy went up to Lake Champlain in NY to ensure his boat, a 34 ft Silverton, was prepared as TS Irene ran through the area after pounding NYC. The winds barely met Tropical Storm criteria but were blowing from the worst possible direction -- straight down the lake. In his marina he suffered from 5 foot rollers (with 7 to 9 feet in the open lake). He had to get off his boat because he was getting seasick (while tied to the dock, no less!). His marina's breakwater of specially reinforced welded metal box cars was breaking up. The finger pier his boat was tied to broke off the main floating dock, and it was the second one to do so. Only the prompt action of the marina owner and two boat owners on hand kept disaster from happening when the break up occurred. All this came from a tropical storm with sustained winds of 35 to 45 Kts.

He is on the west side of the lake. When we last spoke yesterday evening the wind had shifted to the west so the rollers were going to die down for him in a few hours. I'm wondering what else happened overnight. He'll call this evening to let me know.

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 08-29-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Regardless of the magnitude of the storm, the cost to clean up would increase by mulitples if we didn't prepare well. I'm sure that plays into the National Weather forecasting models, as FEMA is the first to write huge checks. But it really isn't good for anyone. Even if the insurance companies write big checks, they just raise premiums to get the catastrophic losses back and that takes disposable income out of the economy. Nothing is for nothing.

I went through great effort and expense to prepare and don't regret a bit of it, I'm grateful it wasn't as bad as it may have been. Of course, I haven't actually seen my boat yet !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-29-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Hurricanes are unpredictable.

A prudent captain gets weather forecasts from multiple sources and makes their decision based on the best available information -- understanding the storm may do something unexpected and factoring that into their decision and preparations.

Yes the media were hysterical. So what? They're hysterical about everything and have the attention span of a cat chasing a shiny object. We know this (or we should).

NOAA and the National Hurricane Center were predicting this storm could make landfall in New Jersey as a Cat 2 or strong Cat 1. My boat was hauled just a few miles north from where Irene made landfall at Little Egg Inlet and I'm thrilled the storm lost strength.

Never, ever question good luck.

Jim
DRFerron likes this.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 08-29-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
The category of the storm, how much wind it packs, is not the major cause of fatalities.
It's the floods, the falling trees, etc that kill. Given the population density, and the amount of vulnerable infrastructure of the area affected, I don't believe this was over-hyped. Especially for some of the more northern areas like NY, NJ, Conn, where folks are not accustomed to storm preparation. No one knew where this would hit. It was a slow moving storm, that potentially brings more flooding, and we're seeing some of that now.

There's nothing anyone can do, if a house gets crushed by a tree, or flooded by a surging river...but if there's no one home, because they've been told to evacuate ( in strong terms) we don't have to make dramatic rescues and read about the death toll.
We learned what the results of not evacuating are in Katrina. We can't save the people who decide to go surfing..
I believe it's best to prepare for the worst case scenario.

Last edited by Tempest; 08-29-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-29-2011

thomasward00 is on a distinguished road
Although it is never good to overlook a Hurricane, the difference between a Cat 1 and 4 is HUGE..

Being from the New Orleans area and having gone though Katrina, 6 ft of water in the house. This storm was seriously overhyped, most folks in South Louisiana would stay home for a Cat 1.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.