Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011

tweitz is on a distinguished road
I have a basic philosophy of having several things that can float in the cockpit, with instructions to the crew that if anyone goes overboard, throw as much as possible to them. The faster it is done the better the chance the MOB can reach them and also the easier it will be to find the MOB's vicinity. So we have several of those square cockpit cushions, a horseshoe, a Lifesling (not to be thrown until we are ready to retrieve) and a small dog in a lifejacket. We also keep a throwing line in a bag permanently attached to a lifeline stanchion. And we try to stay on board. We probably would not throw the dog.
fryewe likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweitz View Post
We probably would not throw the dog.
Um, good? Unless it barks a lot and in that case OUTTA here! For MOB locating purposes only, of course.

Kidding, PETA, kidding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-30-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Maybe I'm reading between the lines a little too much here, but from some of the MOB stuff some of you guys intend to use and the way you intend to use it, I'm not sure I'd want to go sailing on your boat!

How many people have actually attended a MOB course? How many practice MOB drill - using real people - on a calm summer's day?? Few, very few, I imagine..

A couple of tips for those who haven't:
1. Hitting a MOB in the head with a solid plastic ring (white or any other colour) or anything else you could throw at them isn't going to increase their chance of survival... and will hopefully get you fined for littering.
2. Hoisting a MOB aboard your average cruising yacht isn't as easy as picking up a lifejacket... and, no, you don't just use the boarding ladder.

Given the current US gun-culture, I'm surprised no-one has suggested just shooting the MOB. It least that would save them the misery of being tortured and drowned whilst you vainly attempt to recover them.

Oh dear..

Last edited by Classic30; 08-30-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post

Given the current US gun-culture, I'm surprised no-one has suggested just shooting the MOB. It least that would save them the misery of being tortured and drowned whilst you vainly attempt to recover them.

Oh dear..
No Soup for you...
Old 08-30-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
No Soup for you...
Nope. But a 2-point harness is probably essential..
Old 08-30-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
How many people have actually attended a MOB course? How many practice MOB drill - using real people - on a calm summer's day?? Few, very few, I imagine..

A couple of tips for those who haven't:
1. Hitting someone in the head with a solid plastic ring (white or any other colour) or anything else you could throw at them isn't going to increase their chance of survival... and will hopefully get you fined for littering.
2. Hoisting someone aboard your average cruising yacht isn't as easy as picking up a lifejacket... and, no, you don't just use the boarding ladder.

1. I'd be damned impressed if you could recognize a MOB, move to a lifering on the after pushput, grab said life ring, and then through it far enough and accurately enough to actually hit a MOB on the head. Seriously, what kind of wacko echo terrorist would try and prosecute someone for throwing something overboard to try and help a MOB? Now, if through pure fear the MOB sh*t in the water, then I can see sicking the EPA on them...

2. Yeah, I think that most of us understand that getting a MOB back into the boat is not as easy as picking up a pfd. Even in the US we aren't quite that stupid.

Again with the guns?

If you want to come volunteer to be our MOB real live person I'd be more than happy to host you. However, keep in mind that MOBs don't have wetsuits on, and that summer water temperatures here are 50 degrees F (10 degrees C).

However, your point about practicing MOB recovery and understanding the process and implications is well taken.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
Old 08-30-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"Given the current US gun-culture, I'm surprised no-one has suggested just shooting the MOB."
Only a well-intentioned but misdirected liberal who obviously has never touched a gun much less fired one, would suggest trying to shoot a small bobbing target from a small bobbing platform at sea. The naval sharpshooters who shoot at mines are on far larger platforms (SHIPS) with far larger targets, and even then they're more likely to wound the damn thing.

Even worse, NRA members are like Freemasons, we all take secret oaths and are required to beat people to death with politically correct sports implements, like golf clubs. We're not allowed to shoot them, even for mercy. That's why you find so few sailboats with golf clubs aboard, they're considered illegal weapons in the US. Really.

Oh yes, we don't do "MOB courses" in the US. We do USCG Safety At Sea seminars, which include MOB training along with a whole lot more.
Minnewaska likes this.

Last edited by hellosailor; 09-04-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: typo!
Old 08-30-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
1. I'd be damned impressed if you could recognize a MOB, move to a lifering on the after pushput, grab said life ring, and then through it far enough and accurately enough to actually hit a MOB on the head. Seriously, what kind of wacko echo terrorist would try and prosecute someone for throwing something overboard to try and help a MOB? Now, if through pure fear the MOB sh*t in the water, then I can see sicking the EPA on them...
Sorry, but having been on the receiving end of one thrown at me from a pier once and landing close enough, I wouldn't recommend anyone try it. It was bloody frightening actually. Besides, if the MOB is already wearing a PFD (as he should be) why does he need anything else that's just going to be blown away on the wind before he can get to it??

I know the only thing I'd find useful if it were me in the water would be a dan buoy of some kind.. since if it doesn't stick up out of the water by at least 3' or so, the guys left on the boat simply won't see it any easier than the MOB himself (who is at least waving and yelling by this stage).

Quote:
2. Yeah, I think that most of us understand that getting a MOB back into the boat is not as easy as picking up a pfd. Even in the US we aren't quite that stupid.
Maybe it's only the people over here then. I've met a surprising number of boaties who expect to be able to get someone on board in 3' waves via their sugar-scoop stern - without killing them outright, that is.

Quote:
If you want to come volunteer to be our MOB real live person I'd be more than happy to host you. However, keep in mind that MOBs don't have wetsuits on, and that summer water temperatures here are 50 degrees F (10 degrees C).
All the more reason to have a Lifesling at the ready - and lifting tackle rigged on a spare halyard - and know how to use it, keeping in mind that in 10degC water temps you don't have much time to get someone back on board!

Quote:
However, your point about practicing MOB recovery and understanding the process and implications is well taken.
Thank you. I wish more people did.

Learning and practicing MOB recovery procedures seem to many to be like learning First Aid.. kind of an optional extra and something that others should do, but not me. Unfortunately, both done wrongly can kill.

Have a read of this:
http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-maga.../Man_Overboard

Last edited by Classic30; 08-30-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-01-2011
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have experience with the Mustang Rescue Stick?

It looks like it would have a lot more range than most alternatives. Of course then you will still have to get a line to the MOB to get them on board.

The inflated stick looks like it could be used as a sling, but I don't see anything in the manual about that.

I don't see anything about USCG approval.
Old 09-01-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I do not believe that it has CG approval as a type IV. Mustang would certainly advertise that fact were it the case. So, you'd still need an " approved type IV" That said, it's another tool in the box.

I've seen them at shows and on the shelves, but haven't examined them closely.
If I were to " guess" looking at the photo the construction would not be suitable to act as a lifting sling.