White Type IV PFD... Safe? - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of Old 09-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
........I already have a LifeSling mounted on the rail, this would need to go on the opposite quarter of my pushpit......
I have them back to back with each other, the lifesling on the inside and MOM on the outside of the pushpit.

Lifesling suggests you mount on the inside anyway, to avoid the potential of tearing it off on a piling. The MOM has to be mounted on the outside, or it won't work. The same risk exists, albeit, it is notably smaller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of Old 09-02-2011
I don't discuss my member

Quote:
The success of our Dan Buoy has been overwhelming and Iím at the moment trying to establish a distribution network in the US, but thatís not going to satisfy you at this moment.
My suggestion is, as it using a gas cylinder( same as 150newton life jacket) it is classified as dangerous goods for freighting, we therefore remove the cylinder, freight the Dan Buoy to you and you purchase a gas cylinder there and insert it. We will subsidise the freight cost and provide full details of how to replace the cylinder.
Hope this helps
Regards Ross
Ross Spencer
SOS Marine
Sydney, Australia.
Tel: 61 2 97000233
ross@sosmarine.com
SOS Marine equipment for DEFENCE forces, police, safety, sport and recreation
This is what I got in response to an email I sent. No mention of price though.

Merit 25 # 764 "Audrey"
post #43 of Old 09-02-2011

I know I've seen the "Danbouy" name in the US from years ago, and find a government contract was assigned to "Eur-Pac Corp." of Waterbury CT in 2009 for some type of Dan Bouy. Sounds like the maker and the US distributor parted ways.

It shouldn't be so hard to find a distributor, ship the product in, and have the co2 bottles assembled before US resale. Someone still has to pay for hazmat ground shipping within the US, no matter how the co2 bottles get around.
post #44 of Old 09-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
This is what I got in response to an email I sent. No mention of price though.
You got more of a response than I did to my email. I wonder what they are thinking as to price?

Dave

47*20'11.7" N
122*35'20.8" W
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of Old 09-03-2011

Wow. So much discussion of pretty things and where to hang them.

Two earlier posts on this thread have the right idea...when somebody goes overboard, you throw ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that floats as soon as you can to mark the spot and make it more likely the MOB will find something to hang on to. Then, if you have anybody who isn't involved in watching the MOB or maneuvering the boat, send them into the saloon or lazarette to get anything else they can find to throw that might float.

And buy everyone a small battery powered hand held VHF radio to have with them all the time. The MOB can see you a lot better than you can see them, and they can guide you to their location. The biggest problems in MOB recovery are finding the MOB (keep eyes on the MOB CONTINUOUSLY), and getting the MOB something to hold onto until you get there. The rest of the problems you will encounter are solvable. Yeah, it will be hard to get the MOB aboard, but you can do it, you have all kinds of rigging equipment aboard.
post #46 of Old 09-04-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
You got more of a response than I did to my email. I wonder what they are thinking as to price?
I must admit, that's not something I asked... but I don't believe they're planned to be more expensive than a top-of-the-line inflatable PFD - since that's what they basically are.

It appears to have been released to market on 26 July - so it's that new that they haven't even set up distributorships here yet!

I wonder if it's something MaineSail or Jamestown Distributors would be interested in... I guess time will tell.

-
"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"

Last edited by Classic30; 09-04-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.