SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How long should I wait?

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Cruiser2B 
#1 ·
Was on the docks yesterday undoing all the extra lines and putting sails on. I was chatting with a charter boat captain who said it would be a good idea to wait a while before going sailing because of debris floating in the Cheaspeake. So i guess I was wondering if anyone had any recommendation on just how long I should wait? A week? I suppose I could wait that long..my wife and i are planning a 10day chesapeake cruise in a month or so. What is everyone experience with this?

I'd like to go out this week if possible!
Thanks SN

#2 ·
I don't know that anyone can give a specific time frame. Water from upstate Pennsylvania and its associated storm debris probably has not yet completely run downstream.

It might take a few weeks at least for storm- and flood-related debris to get washed down Bay. Keep in mind, also, that at some point Conowingo Dam in the Susquehanna River might have to do a release to get rid of crap.

If you decide to go out, keep a SHARP lookout for logs, escaped docks, steel drums, shopping carts, bodies and don't get complacent. I'm not planning on doing any night sailing for a while, either. If you do, have a lantern that someone can use to sweep the water and warn of debris.

Also pay CLOSE attention to the weekly Local Notice to Mariner for off-station and unlit ATONS so that you can update your charts.

#3 ·
At the very least, wait until the Harbormasters of Baltimore and Norfolk open the ports back up and allow large ships in. They only do that when they are sure they can get a ship from the open ocean all the way to a pier. Then you have reasonable assurance the worst of the crap is out of the channels and areas close by. I wouldn't go gunkholing for a month. Stuff can take that long to wash down from the streams.

It might take a few weeks at least for storm- and flood-related debris to get washed down Bay. Keep in mind, also, that at some point Conowingo Dam in the Susquehanna River might have to do a release to get rid of crap.

#5 ·
If your boat can't hit a log or floating debris (logs, trees, etc) without being in danger of being holed and sinking, then you need to buy a new boat. The trouble with the typical "bay boat" is that many are not really sea worthy. They are constructed for typical bay weather...light, thin hulls, light rigging (masts, etc), relatively low displacement, etc, and when ocean type conditions arrive, they fall apart. We like to go out in 20-30 knot conditions in our fast, but relatively bullet proof 60's fiberglass boat, and I wouldn't let a floating log intimidate me. Check out a recent trip last Mother's Day: Varsity Sailing - YouTube

#6 ·
No one said anything about sinking, but I'd prefer to avoid damage of any kind when I can help it. I'm happy that you are perfectly sanguine about playing chicken with a floating log. Me, I'd rather keep a sharp eye out to avoid hitting them. Just because something is "bullet proof" doesn't mean you should shoot at it.

Dave

#9 ·
Of course, we keep a good look out to avoid hitting things. Being from New England, sailing through thick clusters of lobster pots is a learned experience. My point here is that hitting a rock at full speed, (as I did once in Marblehead cutting a corner to quickly), would buckle the structure of most bay boats. (It took a small chip out of the cast iron keel). The bottom line is, if you have a seaworthy boat, you can go out most anytime with the proper sail configuration; if you don't, then you should wait for a better day. We tend to enjoy going out in "weather". Your Islander 30 is probably particularly well suited.

Moe

#10 ·
Hello Cruiser2b, Thank you for your post. I have a lot of respect and admiration for the Arlberg 30, and I think you diminish it's heritage by calling it a "bay boat". I knew a family who lived on and sailed an Arlberg 37 to Bermuda and back years ago and have always considered your boat of a similar class and quality of mine...a 1967 Chris Craft (S&S designed) Apache 37 sloop. It is a "knock off" of Intrepid, the only boat that ever won two Americas Cups.

Anyway, have a good night...if you're ever at Hartge's in Galesville, look us up. We're on a mooring. You'd be welcome to raft up.

Moe

#12 ·
In reply to the original question: I don't know. And I wouldn't have worried about it if I hadn't seen your question. Then again, I went sailing on the Chesapeake today for 3 or 4 hours between Herring Bay and Tilghman Island and saw no debris. Delightful day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.